My Nintendo

For all the consoles in Nintendo's vast legacy.
Get ready to make your Nintendo Account account! Actually it's called My Nintendo
  • Nintendo’s new membership service will be called “Nintendo Account” "My Nintendo" — it will connect hardware users, as well as PC and smart device users, Mr. Kimishima says.
  • Nintendo will use a cloud-based data service to transfer game data between mobile games and console games.
  • New point system, get points by playing games and spend the points on DLC, game coupons, etc
More info here

Information is a bit sparse but it sounds like Nintendo are finally moving toward a unified account system that ties purchases to your account and not hardware. I'm worried that means we'll potentially have to buy things a 3rd time now (like VC games).

The cloud data sounds interesting, maybe there will be games released on both smartphones and consoles that use the same data somehow? I have to admit I figured any games on smartphones would be standalone experiences. Hopefully the cloud saves won't be a paid service like PS+.

Long story short this isn't a big deal compared to other services from MS/Sony, but at least Nintendo is 'getting with the times'.

EDIT: It's actually called My Nintendo

Drevin wrote:Information is a bit sparse but it sounds like Nintendo are finally moving toward a unified account system that ties purchases to your account and not hardware.
Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with an account from Nintendo this time around. It'll be interesting to see how they decide to merge any existing details like systems owned or games registered and how it's displayed in the account.
Drevin wrote:I'm worried that means we'll potentially have to buy things a 3rd time now (like VC games).
Ya this'll be interesting. I'm hoping that somehow that information will be carried over through some sort of account merge to the new account, but I'm not entirely sure how that'll work. I'd assume this'll require firmware upgrades to the Wii U, the 3DS, and heck, maybe even the Wii (although I'd be quite surprised) to be able to support logging in and viewing account details and possibly downloading VC titles. Although then again, maybe I'm picturing things too much like an App Store.
Drevin wrote:at least Nintendo is 'getting with the times'.
Yep, time to get rid of the 'ol NT 4 servers.

Hmm, March 2016. It'll be nice if they get the older systems in on My Nintendo and the whole system up and running before NX hits. Or will they drop NX at around the same time...?

Account registration is up!

https://accounts.nintendo.com

Interesting that you can log in using your Nintendo ID. Isn't Nintendo ID something they wanted to replace with Nintendo Account as well?

link470 wrote:Interesting that you can log in using your Nintendo ID. Isn't Nintendo ID something they wanted to replace with Nintendo Account as well?
Probably for NX, but I'm guessing that the 3DS and Wii U will continue to use the Nintendo ID until they decide to stop supporting the older systems. Then they'll go the same way that Nintendo WiFi Connection went. Probably. Although what to do with existing purchases...? Maybe they'll bring the older systems in...? More likely only support the storefronts like they do for the Wii and DSi.

Oh, and I signed up to be notified when Miitomo becomes active. Apparently there will be some reward for doing that with the New Order... I mean, with My Nintendo.

https://my.nintendo.com/pre_registrations/miitomo