Pokemon GO

For all the consoles in Nintendo's vast legacy.

If anyone remembers that April Fools Google Maps thing earlier this year, think that but much better. I have to admit until I talked about it some more with link470 I wasn't very excited - but now that I thought about it, this sounds like it'll be really fun. The scenario I thought of was that it's a Saturday afternoon and we get an alert on our phones that a new Pokemon is nearby. We all hop in our car and go to some far-off place we've never been to before. It gets us exploring parts we'd never go to. Or it's winter and finally Articuno unlocks, but it's located at the top of a mountain somewhere. Hopefully not Mt. Everest. I might be hyping it up too much, but there is a lot of potential I feel. A good catalyst to get VR going strong.

What do you guys think?

The nice thing too is that this is a game on mobile, not a cartridge. So frequent updates are possible, and the game can only get better over time. I'm stoked.

Sounds like it has tons of potential. At the very least it'll be a fun little mobile game.

I was going to post a topic about PKMN Go here but I didn't know if we still spoke about games jk jk

This game, man, the trailer, the description - I too think I'm hyping it up but it seems like it will be amazing and get me up and all over the island exploring for new Pokemon.I am going to walk all over this town and city and maybe even bike (naw) like in the games to discover these things, hopefully with some fellow Pokemon trainers.

AC Dasher wrote:biker gang

link470 wrote:
AC Dasher wrote:biker gang
= Show Stoppas

More details from their website! Sounds very much like Ingress, which I'm not sure what everyone was expecting.
Get on your feet and step outside to find and catch wild Pokémon. Explore cities and towns around where you live and even around the globe to capture as many Pokémon as you can. As you move around, your smartphone will vibrate to let you know you're near a Pokémon. Once you've encountered a Pokémon, take aim on your smartphone's touch screen and throw a Poké Ball to catch it. Be careful when you try to catch it, or it might run away! Also look for PokéStops located at interesting places, such as public art installations, historical markers, and monuments, where you can collect more Poké Balls and other items.

In Pokémon GO, you will gain levels as a Trainer, and at higher levels you will be able to catch more powerful Pokémon to complete your Pokédex. You'll also have access to more powerful items, such as Great Balls, to give you a better shot at catching Pokémon. Keep exploring and encountering Pokémon to raise your level!

There are other ways to add Pokémon to your roster, too. If you catch the same species of Pokémon enough times, you'll get the opportunity to evolve one of them. And as you explore, you may find Pokémon Eggs at PokéStops, which will hatch after you've walked a certain distance. When they hatch, you may find Pokémon you've never seen before!

Some wild Pokémon will appear only in certain places near where you live or around the world. For example, some Water-type Pokémon may appear only near lakes and oceans. If you're away from home, be sure to stay alert for Pokémon you wouldn't normally encounter!

At a certain point in the game, you'll be asked to join one of three teams. Once you join a team, you'll gain the ability to assign Pokémon you've caught to empty Gym locations or to a location where a team member has placed one of his or her Pokémon. Like PokéStops, Gyms can be found at real locations in the world. Each player can place only one Pokémon at a particular Gym, so you're encouraged to work with others on the team to build up a strong defense.

If a Gym is already claimed by another team, you can challenge that Gym using your own Pokémon. Using the Pokémon you've caught, engage in battle with the defending Pokémon at the Gym to claim control.

I did play a bit of Ingress when Pokemon GO was announced and the concept was cool. Like Ingress, I imagine most of the locations where you find Pokemon/Gyms/etc are community-chosen, so even if you live in a small town you'll still have plenty of places to check out.

My interest in Ingress waned pretty fast though, I didn't feel very engaged jumping into a community that was already super established. Hoping the Pokemon GO experience is better!

Drevin wrote:Some wild Pokémon will appear only in certain places near where you live or around the world. For example, some Water-type Pokémon may appear only near lakes and oceans. If you're away from home, be sure to stay alert for Pokémon you wouldn't normally encounter!
That's a good sign so far, I like that.

In Australia/New Zealand the game is out! Which means the game is probably coming soon to the rest of the world...

The three teams are based on the 3 legendary birds (Articuno/Blue, Zapdos/Yellow and Moltres/Red). I'm #TeamArticuno for sure!

I'll go blue, too. I'm a Blue version man and I favor Articuno.

server too busy to let me play

I chose Pokemon Red as my first game, so that one has some nostalgia for me, especially Charmander/Charizard. But in my main lineup, Moltres isn't in it and Articuno and Zaptos both are. So I'm going team Blue as well once it's available in Canada. Still not entirely sure how the teams will work but hey, Articuno's a boss. So going blue sounds good to me.
Ray wrote:server too busy to let me play
Heh, I was waiting for that. It was only a matter of time before it got pounded. They're probably trying to expand right now like crazy once they realized "wait, this isn't silly portals like Ingress, this is effing real life AR Pokemon, the whole world wants this".

Has anyone put some time into it? I went out for a quick walk before work yesterday and today and didn't figure out pokestops until today (edit: you spin them until items come out). It seems like a pain to get candy for anything but the most common Pokemon.

I'm going on a hike tomorrow, so I'll get some good time in. I used to pretend to catch pokemon on trails!
Last edited by Monkey on July 8th, 2016, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkey wrote:I used to pretend to catch pokemon on trails!
lol nerd jk that's effing awesome

I went out for two hours today walking around town. Lots of fun! I was exploring parts of the town I'd probably never go to. I found out hatching eggs seems to be the big cash out for candies (you'll get candies for whatever you hatch).

Yeah I didn't find out right away you have to spin the center of a Pokestop as you pass it. Doesn't do anything otherwise. Also you don't need to tap the items that appear, you can just close it.