Wii Games Coming to Wii U

For all the consoles in Nintendo's vast legacy.
Isn't it such a pain to go into the Wii menu from the Wii U to play your games? WELL GUESS WHAT NOW YOU DON'T HAVE TO

Except they're just direct ports, however I've heard games that supported Classic Controller will work with the Gamepad. Otherwise you're stuck with Wiimotes.

480p, nothing higher than that.

but you can boot them from the Wii U menu so hey

These's games are coming out in NA:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 1/14/15
Punch-Out!! - 1/22/15
Metroid Prime Trilogy - 1/29/15

Prices look like $19.99 each. During the first week they come out though they're half-off, not bad!

I highly urge everyone here who were thinking of playing any of the Prime games to pick up the trilogy. Not only is it a steal at that price ($10), you get three (3) incredible games to play. Please, show Nintendo some Metroid love and buy them. Please.

I am without a doubt buying the Metroid Prime Trilogy. I had it a while ago but never fully beat Prime 2 for some reason. Now that it'll be back, I can't wait to remedy that.

I also here that it's 480p upscaled to 1080p which sounds awesome. I hear rumors of 60 FPS but don't quote me on that. Nintendodomination mentioned it on his twitter for SMG2 but until you see footage I wouldn't count on it.

60 FPS would be a dream but I doubt Nintendo put that much effort into this. Still, it's cool to be able to buy some of the Wii games I missed out on. Namely the Prime trilogy!

Ok, that's neat. Doesn't really appeal to me, but neat. I guess it'll be the version compatible with the next system though.

My system chimed, so I got up to see what was up. I was stunned when I saw SMG2 on the screen. Aaaaaaaaaaa

So, I bought Super Mario Galaxy 2 to try it out. Here's what I found:

There's nothing special about it at all. You boot it, and it brings you to the normal Wii Menu screen (Point the Wii Remote at the screen and click to continue.) The only difference is that there's a Manual button. The Manual gives you zero information on how to control it - I exited out once by accident before I figured out that I had to scroll *down* to change pages, not left and right. It's a straight scan of the paper manual - Not even a particularly hi-res one.

Once you choose whether you want the Wii GamePad on or not, it brings you to a quick loading screen where it briefly plays the Wii Menu background chime. All it does is forward you directly through the vWii and into the game ISO. All of the features of the vWii are present here - 480p upscaled with black borders around it, etc. Hitting Home and hitting Wii menu bounces you all the way back to the Wii U menu, however.

It really is just a scan of the manual packaged with an ISO that lets you skip over the vWii menu. My save file that I transferred over from my Wii to the vWii was already there, waiting for me. When I tried to create a new file in one of the spare slots, all my Miis that I had transferred to the vWii menu were there.

So... I'm excited that they've made them a bit more accessible, but at the same time, I'm disappointed at the appalling lack of effort that went into it. I was really hoping for more than the vWii experience via legal ISO. At the same time, though, it's convenient not to have to plug in the disk, deal with the vWii directly, and it's nice not to have the same loading times or have to listen to the drive whir. I've owned MPTrilogy since launch. I have the preorder bonus shirt from it, too. But as I'd already played the first two on the GC and the third on the Wii. I barely touched the Trilogy disc, though. But playing it so conveniently on the Wii U...? I may well do it this time.

I wonder how long it'll take the hackers working on the Wii U to figure out how to package their own games, much like people did with PlayStation ISOs on the PSP.

Now, where did I put my rechargeable batteries...?

Yeah the lack of effort sucks, but I don't own these games. For some reason I didn't give the SMG 2 a fair shake and the other two very much interested me but fell by the wayside for, y'know, life. I'm really excited for Punch Out as every time I look at it in EB and that I always mean to pick it up but it's nice to avoid load times and get it for only ten bones? YES PLEASE!

I'm curious about Punch-Out, but I imagine it's heavy on the motion controls, and I fear that it won't be something I'll enjoy much, even for $10. If I could demo it...

Guess what Warp! Punch-Out!! is all controller, baby.

I mean you can play with motion controls if you're a masochist

Although I kind of wish I had grabbed Punch-Out!! while it was on sale, I did not. I saved what little I had left in my eShop wallet to use towards Metroid Prime Trilogy. All 7756MB of it. I had to delete pretty much all of my demos to free up enough space. It's about 33% downloaded now and I'm looking at another four hours for completion. Rad.

I'm going to need to buy a hard drive for my Wii U soon.

Likewise. Currently downloading the Trilogy. 32GB is not enough space!

Download complete. Enjoying me some Metroid Prime.

Drevin wrote:Likewise. Currently downloading the Trilogy. 32GB is not enough space!
True. PS4 and Xbox One both include 500GB hard drives by default, towering over the Wii U's 32GB, and that's the Wii U DELUXE! At least external storage is allowed.

link470 wrote:
Drevin wrote:Likewise. Currently downloading the Trilogy. 32GB is not enough space!
True. PS4 and Xbox One both include 500GB hard drives by default, towering over the Wii U's 32GB, and that's the Wii U DELUXE! At least external storage is allowed.
It's nice, though, that the Wii U lets you expand as much as you want, just by plugging in a USB cable. The PS4 requires you to be willing to physically swap out a drive, but you can only have one and can't easily transfer content, and the XBone doesn't let you swap a drive at all.

I, personally, don't really want a drive hanging off of my system, though...

Uh oh. How much space does the trilogy take? I'll probably download it tomorrow.