Nintendo officially gives permission for derivative works

For all the consoles in Nintendo's vast legacy.
This seems pretty huge. I don't know if this applies to just Japan right now, but here's the gist:
... president Satoru Iwata appeared in a video. He stated that the company now officially gives its permission for anyone to use their properties for derivative works – Let’s Plays, music covers, fan art, and more were specifically showcased.

Additionally, Iwata announced a “Creative Endorsement Program”. This will allow Nintendo to provide revenue to creators who produce well-received work. At the moment, this program is only available on Niconico, as it is a subsidiary of Dwango.
source

I remember a few months ago Nintendo went on a flagging rampage on YouTube, so hopefully this means no more of that. I wonder if it also applies to fan games (like Mother 4) too?

People are getting excited over this and coming and missing the fact that it's just for one Japanese service. Yes, it's a step in the right direction, but Nintendo is pretty unpredictable when it comes to anything but their games.

edit: lol. The coming part was unintentional and was left in after I decided to restructure the sentence.

Monkey wrote:edit: lol. The coming part was unintentional and was left in after I decided to restructure the sentence.
Not gonna lie, for a second I thought about that and was wondering why it was there, and then a part of me went "wait...no that works, I mean a bit of a stretch but...eh" and continued reading the sentence.

My understanding was that people interested in doing LPs (without any revenue) and such are free to do so without their "Creative Endorsement Program" -- the program (which is available only on Niconico, as Monkey said) will allow creators to receive revenue from Nintendo.

Regardless of the program, it's pretty forward-thinking for Nintendo to have this stance on this like LPs and fan videos, usually companies are apprehensive toward this kind of thing, although admittedly it's been improving recently.

Yeah it's unsure if it will apply to the rest of the world yet but if it does this'll be huge for the Let's Play & Modding Communities. It'd be nice to know that more people can upload shit from Nintendo so they're not afraid to get it taken down if it makes money.