MARIO KART 64

For all the consoles in Nintendo's vast legacy.
WE GOTTA DISCUSS IT.

Glitches: Are they cheating?

Donkey Kong: Why's he so great?

Moo Moo Farm, three players on Wii VC: Turbo, turbo, turbo!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! (I'd put multiple exclamation marks here, but that's just childish)

When I strike it rich, you're all invited to my Mario Kart room whenever you want.

Let me start things off with controversy!

MK64 is not my favorite MK. Will never be. In fact, the MK series didn't take off with me (in a big way) until DS! So that's the golden standard for me.

MK64 is super fucking hard for me to go back to. I just cannot control these karts and I don't know why. I guess I'm just more used to DS / Wii / 7 or something but I can't go back to it.

Had good tracks though. I haven't disliked a retro track from MK64 yet.

Afrohawk52 wrote:MK64 is super fucking hard for me to go back to.
Your mistake was ever getting out of it.

Monkey wrote:
Afrohawk52 wrote:MK64 is super fucking hard for me to go back to.
Your mistake was ever getting out of it.
Amen.

I really, really miss the controls of this one as all the games are so stiff comparably. 64 represents fun times in my life and it was also the first N64 game I played (really). It's also the only MK game that I actually like every track. The character roster is nice and limited (I hate baby versions of everyone and fuckin' honeybees and Piranha Plants as racers) and it was the good ol' days before broken items like the cloud and also blue shells that screwed over only the skilled player. Also, this game had the best battle mode/battle courses (GC kind of ruined it for console battle modes IMO with it's lazy, small battle courses).

One of my top ten games of all time, no lie.

64 is great. it was such a real game. and spinout block with jump? amaze. but still, double dash!! is my fav with mkds and mk64 neck and neck for 2nd place

DD is good, too. DD is great for playing with little kids. They love handling the items while you help them win. Nice tracks with good shortcuts, too.

Oh and using the glitches and that is fair game in 64 cuz everybody knows about them (though some are tricky, at times).

AC Dasher wrote:Oh and using the glitches and that is fair game in 64 cuz everybody knows about them (though some are tricky, at times).
I don't?

It's kind of a mixed bag with the people I play with. My (23 year old) brother consistently jumps the wall on Wario Stadium, yet whines about any other ones. In general, jumping from one part of a level to another (like Wario Stadium and Rainbow Road) is seen as OK, but those involving Lukito aren't (Frappe Snowland can be finished in less than 10 seconds, isn't really challenging, and doesn't work with sone characters).

Basically we always have a prisoner's gambit going on.

AC Dasher wrote:I really, really miss the controls of this one as all the games are so stiff comparably.
I'm the exact opposite. 64's controls feel so loose that I can't seem to keep myself consistently going in the right direction. I easily find myself going off of the tracks and not being able to recover nearly as well because there was no Bullet Bill and the Star ended up making me even less in control of my kart.

I'm with Afro on this one. Probably because I've been conditioned by the later games, but 64/DD feel so loose it seems I have less control. I would drift in places where it'd work fine in DS/Wii/7 but in 64/DD that ain't gonna work.

Like I said, probably because I didn't play them as much when I was younger, but that's how they feel to me.

Just watch one of us MASTERS playing the game. Only people that suck at MK64 don't like MK64 jk jk (though not really kidding though as I hate Gears of War and I suck at that series, though I dislike the series more for it's macho-ism, one-tone gameplay, chainsaw-to-win and single colour tone blandness).

Double Dash has fine controls, that's a classic title for most people.