No Longer Completely Different

For all the consoles in Nintendo's vast legacy.
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/02/03/iw ... different/
Satoru Iwata wrote:“In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.”
I think it'd be cool to take your system with you when you go out, then when you get home you just plug it into your dock or what have you and play with a controller on a TV. Doubt that's what he means though. Sounds more like architecture/software being more similar and easier to develop for?

Sounds like:

Hardware - Something similar to the PS3/Vita, where the basic architectures are similar. (Possibly similar hardware interface?)
Internal software - Greater cross-compatibility, possibly also with user interfaces.
Writing software - Write the code once and it works on multiple platforms rather than having to customize it for a Wii U and the 3DS, thus easing the burden on developers and hopefully making it more likely that they'll be willing to write for the systems if they only have to write the game once and it becomes available on multiple platforms.

Cross platform play would be awesome. I was kinda hoping SSB4 might do this, but that was likely a pipe dream.

sounds unenthusiastic. as if investors are demanding this and nintendo is only doing it begrudgingly. i predict disappointment all around

Ray wrote:sounds unenthusiastic. as if investors are demanding this and nintendo is only doing it begrudgingly. i predict disappointment all around
Almost everything Japanese sounds unenthusiastic. Double that when running it through a translator.

Ray wrote:sounds unenthusiastic. as if investors are demanding this and nintendo is only doing it begrudgingly. i predict disappointment all around
"I guess we'll do well this year, if we have to. gosh"

alright, i'll give them a chance. but my prediction stays. i guess they'll probably give more information around the time of TGS

i want to believe in Nintendo, I really do... but...

My prediction is that Nintendo is gonna Nintendo. I'll be sure to quote myself when it comes to pass.

I wasn't around for the Virtual Boy days so I can't recall any times where Nintendo messed up on a large scale. I'm not worried. Nintendo has their ups and downs, just like every other company.

Afrohawk52 wrote:I wasn't around for the Virtual Boy days so I can't recall any times where Nintendo messed up on a large scale. I'm not worried. Nintendo has their ups and downs, just like every other company.
You don't consider Nintendo's entire online strategy and infrastructure a colossal fuck up? From friend codes to making Wii wi-fi only... it's been terrible. Not to mention their digital content ownership has been fucked from the start. Transferring Wiiware and VC games is a huge pain in the ass and they're only now unifying accounts into a Nintendo Network ID, a decade-overdue feature.

I'm just so pessimistic when it comes to Nintendo. I feel like a Sonic fan (then again, I am one).

Ray wrote:You don't consider Nintendo's entire online strategy and infrastructure a colossal fuck up?

Not really, no. If you consider that a colossal fuck up I can't imagine what you'd refer to everything else as.
Ray wrote:From friend codes to making Wii wi-fi only... it's been terrible.
Certainly a bad idea but it didn't hinder me that much and I eventually got an adapter for LAN usage for like 10 bucks.
Ray wrote:Not to mention their digital content ownership has been fucked from the start. Transferring Wiiware and VC games is a huge pain in the ass and they're only now unifying accounts into a Nintendo Network ID, a decade-overdue feature.
Transfering Wiiware and VC was really annoying, I agree. But luckily I only had to do it one time and that was it so I kind of got over it. As for unified accounts, I'm glad they're finally working on that. I mean it was overdue but I actually don't know what I was missing out on without it so I can't really say that was an issue for me.
Ray wrote:I'm just so pessimistic when it comes to Nintendo. I feel like a Sonic fan (then again, I am one).
As a Sonic fan you totally have that right to be pessimistic though. Fucking Lost World was shit.

Afrohawk52 wrote:
Ray wrote:You don't consider Nintendo's entire online strategy and infrastructure a colossal fuck up?

Not really, no. If you consider that a colossal fuck up I can't imagine what you'd refer to everything else as.
You have no idea. Devo knows.

Everything with regards to Nintendo's online blows. Matchmaking (or lackthereof), their store, online distribution, account management, etc... it's all terrible. 10 years behind. Pretty much everybody else has them beat in one or more aspects. Look at Steam. I don't understand why everyone isn't doing it like that.

edit: the fact that I had to develop FCS just to manage all of our friend codes should be proof enough they just aren't getting it yet

Drevin wrote:Everything with regards to Nintendo's online blows. Matchmaking (or lackthereof), their store, online distribution, account management, etc... it's all terrible. 10 years behind. Pretty much everybody else has them beat in one or more aspects. Look at Steam. I don't understand why everyone isn't doing it like that.
Yes. It's definitely behind, because of Nintendo's struggle with trying to keep things safe and friendly for the whole family. That and their focus on local social gaming - something that's far more plausible in Japan than in the US. Also, I suspect they're sticking to some kind of profit model which may or may not be hurting them as much as we think.
Afrohawk52 wrote:I wasn't around for the Virtual Boy days so I can't recall any times where Nintendo messed up on a large scale. I'm not worried. Nintendo has their ups and downs, just like every other company.
The Virtual Boy's was marketing's fault. Gunpei Yokoi designed the thing as a toy, not a game console. Marketing was like, "Hey, it's a game console! We'll market it as one when everyone is actually waiting for the N64!" Gunpei then didn't have the clout that Miyamoto has now - he couldn't force the other departments to bend to his vision. So marketing set the Virtual Boy up to be a colossal console failure instead of the Nintendo-branded toy it was supposed to be.
Ray wrote:making Wii wi-fi only...
Most people prefer/use wireless anyway. It's only certain dedicated individuals who don't. Like us. We're not the average Nintendo consumer.