Thinking about getting a Wii U

For all the consoles in Nintendo's vast legacy.
I like stories. When's the story start?

AC Dasher wrote:I like stories. When's the story start?
*looks at his wrist that doesn't contain a watch* should be any moment now I believe.

It's not really a great story.

I like to play with bitcoin, though I think cryptocurrencies are ruined by speculators. I buy when /r/bicoin are posting links to suicide hotlines and sell when they're insufferable jackasses (like now). I guess that makes me part of the problem, but they started it. This strategy been remarkably successful for me. I don't know why, but I decided to buy a $250 metal detector with my latest (and possibly final) profits. I don't metal detect. I think it would be neat, I've always wanted to, but I don't think I'd get $250 worth out fun and change, especially since I'd rather go fishing with my free daylight time.

Here's where it gets complicated: I decided to buy it through Amazon, through a service that sells Amazon gift cards for BTC. When I return it (you bet your ass I'm returning it), I'll be stuck with $250 Amazon credit as a refund, since I used a gift card. I could sell it (or something else from Amazon easier to flip), keep the balance for regular Amazon purchases, or buy something that I'd have fun with during non-fishing hours, like, say, a Wii U.

tl;dr I bought a fucking metal detector for no good reason and would like to trade it for a Wii U, possibly.

Well now is certainly not the worst time... there are a few games to play on it. The VC just came out too...

Yeah if you wanted to play Superstar Saga or Kirby: Amazing Mirror you could get one.

But if you're really interested, perhaps wait a bit until you could get a bundle you like? You could always grab the Zelda bundle or Mario bundle if you're interested in that kind of thing but I imagine we'll eventually get a Mario Kart or Smash Bros bundle. Okay maybe on the Smash Bros one, not entirely sure on that.

Other good games currently out:
- The Wonderful 101
- DKC: Tropical Freeze (it has monkeys, Monkey)
- Mario 3D World
- Lego Games if you're into that kind of thing
- Other shit that I'm neglecting to mention that you probably like more than the previously listed titles

I noticed Wonderful 101 is down to $26, so I might check it out. My sisters play Wii more than me, so my Wii is still at my parents house, so I'd use it to get caught up on Wii games, too.

Edit: I don't have a TV

Monkey wrote:I noticed Wonderful 101 is down to $26, so I might check it out. My sisters play Wii more than me, so my Wii is still at my parents house, so I'd use it to get caught up on Wii games, too.

Many games support off-TV play. I believe Wii games do, too.

Warp2063 wrote:
Monkey wrote:I noticed Wonderful 101 is down to $26, so I might check it out. My sisters play Wii more than me, so my Wii is still at my parents house, so I'd use it to get caught up on Wii games, too.

Many games support off-TV play. I believe Wii games do, too.
Wii games do, yup. If they require the motion sensor you can even aim it at the controller, though I imagine that'd be kind of odd.

If you plan on getting W101 I'd wait until you had a TV though. While it supports Off-TV play it uses both screens throughout. You can switch it so it shows both of 'em at the same time but it's a "picture-in-picture" kind of thing and I doubt that'd be something you'd want for your first time playing the game.

Also why don't you have a TV?

I have a monitor with an HDMI port that I use, though depending on where I'm sitting the gamepad screen could appear bigger.

Not sure if that could function as a TV but if you can confirm it, go for it.

It's fine for anything not 480i, which can't even be sent through an HDMI cable. I've played Wii on it through a VGA cable and PS3 & 360 over HDMI. The only issue I had was with Gamecube games that didn't support 480p and those were rare.

I didn't finish my thought when I posted that I didn't have a TV. I meant it to mean that a Wii U would be pretty good for my setup. I primarily game on PC now and Nintendo usually has the most exclusive obscure (and not-so-obscure) games that I like, so I think it would supplement PC gaming better than a PS4, which would come in second by that criteria. I won't consider an xbone at all. It's pricey, is less likely to get obscure Japanese ports and I won't be convinced of it's reliability for a couple years.

Ah excellent then. Wii U's now HDMI so I'm sure it'll work out in the end. Good time to buy a Wii U then. If you're into Mario Kart there's confirmation of a Mario Kart 8 bundle for Europe. It hasn't been confirmed for NA yet but I imagine we might get something hopefully. We'll see.

Are bundled games digital or physical? Skylanders bundle is $234$229 and I'm wondering if I could just resell the skylanders stuff.

edit: Some Amazon reviewer did just that. Sweet.

I think the latest Wii U bundles include digital copies of the games.

I don't think Skylanders was ever a digital release though.