Nintendo Wii U Info Thread

For all the consoles in Nintendo's vast legacy.
Afrohawk52 wrote:Apparently it was taken out because they didn't think people would be playing on it. They also took out the support for the Wii + Nunchuck.

...Yeah I didn't know the Wii + Nunchuck was an option in NSMBW either.
That's fuckin' stupid (of Nintendo). Why bother putting out an accessory if you think people 'won't use it?' Fuckin' ridiculous

Drevin wrote:Why bother putting out an accessory if you think people 'won't use it?' Fuckin' ridiculous
lol...I gotta say Devo, that's a very valid point...

J-Man wrote:Can't wait for MH3U though! :D
I'll be playing on the 3DS version until I eventually get a Wii U.

Warp2063 wrote:
J-Man wrote:Can't wait for MH3U though! :D
I'll be playing on the 3DS version until I eventually get a Wii U.
I'm tempted to get both.

If they bundle the two together, however... ;)

For those of you who picked one up... let's hear some initial impressions!

I'm kind of in OMGNEWELECTRONICSHINY mode right now, so, disclaimer. The Wii U is great so far. Extended time with the controller (and not a worn out retail demo unit controller) has made me realize just how comfortable the controller is. I also just noticed in the back there's a screw for a camera tripod. I have an old 30ish inch tube tv, so the controller's screen is actually better than the tv screen. Many of the features have yet to be activated, but they will be in the coming weeks. The Miiverse is great, its like the nsider forums are back almost, but with each post restricted to 100 characters (yeah, less than a tweet). The touch screen is very sensitive and I've found myself not even needing the stylus most of the time. The wii -> wii u data transfer took a few steps, but it was easier than I thought it would be. So far, the wii u is everything Nintendo promised. Everything works great, I've had no issues that weren't my fault.

I'm surprised at how well the gamepad works. Other than that, nothing to add to what nolan said.

My Mii is Shirebrok. You'll recognize it.

Waiting on the 3DS update...

Wii U gets better with every report :lol

I knew you were frugal but this is ridiculous

edit: that's only if you're a minor, btw

Why can't they refund it?

credit card companies

mirite

The credit card companies probably get 100% of that. I know that this is Nintendo being Nintendo, but that can come across as shady or at the very least annoying.
Last edited by Monkey on November 20th, 2012, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drevin wrote:For those of you who picked one up... let's hear some initial impressions!
I can't say anything about the online because my school still sucks a big wet one when it comes to internet but as far as the rest of it goes, it's one solid console.

As mentioned before, holding the controller feels really natural. I will say after an extended period of time it'll definitely wear on you, after say maybe 2-3 hours of holding it, because it's not as light as a Wiimote, but overall it feels great.

I was never much of a graphics guy but after seeing Super Mario Bros. in HD I don't think I can go back. It just looks so good! I mean it's partially because they put in a ton of effort into the foreground and background so the detail looks great but the extra resolution really makes those things pop, even on the Gamepad.

Speaking of Gamepad play, it's pretty amazing. For those of you picking up NSMBU, playing on the Gamepad is great because you don't have to waggle; ZR or ZL can do that for you in addition to the Gamepad being able to waggle as well. In addition, you can play pretty much the entire game, as well as a few other games, on the Gamepad so I frequently turn my TV off and head on my laptop to chat with others. I have run into no problems so far with connectivity though I will say my laptop is pretty close. When I get home I'll do some testing on the range though I've heard the signal can even go through a ceiling or two depending on your floor type.

I've gotten NSMBU and Scribblenauts with Sonic Racing just for shits and giggles. If you've ever played a Scribblenauts game or just love solving puzzles creatively, get this game. It's incredibly fun, very very smooth, and the object editor is so fun to mess around with. It has a lot of depth too; in addition to changing how it looks you can change how it moves, how it can be grabbed, how it sounds, how it interacts with other objects, and even add a small script of what it does when it completes a certain action. It's very fun and being able to mess around is very addicting.

As for Mario, it's the classic Mario but with some added things to make it feel both nostalgic and fresh at the same time. The extra power the Wii U puts out allows them to do a lot with both the graphics and the puzzles/stages so I'd definitely give it a try. It's definitely the best New Super Mario Bros. yet. Baby Yoshis are so awesome. They even sing! Seriously. It's so adorable and it actually adds a nice little addition to the level songs.

Overall, Wii U is very sleek and very fun. I'll post more impressions once I get online to work.

I Won't be getting it till Christmas but I was really excited for the launch, spent the whole day reading up on it XD
I find the exclusives a bit disappointing. No Zelda's or Pikmin's to keep me busy yet, but it seems like it has potential.
@Afro
How's sonic? =D
That game looked awesome lol