Nintendo Wii U Info Thread

For all the consoles in Nintendo's vast legacy.
The newest home console from Nintendo.

Launch Date
Holiday 2012

Wii U Features
In addition to introducing new ways to play, Wii U also offers users a variety of non-gaming features to enhance the overall experience.

Miiverse: Miiverse is a brand-new network communication system that lets gamers from around the world share experiences, discuss games and discover new content. Using their personalized Mii character, players enter Miiverse and see games, applications or entertainment content that either they have interacted with recently, expressed interest in learning more about or that their friends are using or discussing. From here they can challenge their friends to play together, ask a question about a difficult level or discover new elements of their favorite games they never knew existed. After a notable achievement or other share-worthy moment, players can pause their game or application and seamlessly post messages to the Miiverse community.

TV Remote: The Wii U GamePad controller may also function as an infrared TV remote, whether users are watching TV or playing a game.

Near Field Communication (NFC): The Wii U GamePad has the ability to communicate wirelessly with objects that are held above it. This allows for a variety of interesting new possibilities for games and activities.

Nintendo eShop: The digital storefront for Wii U will be available at launch and offer a variety of content for people to download and enjoy. Consumers will also be able to purchase and download select games that are also available at retail stores.

Video Entertainment: Nintendo is working with Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube to bring video experiences to Wii U that will take advantage of the integrated second-screen experience. Additional details will be released at a later time.

Video Chat: Using the built-in camera of the Wii U GamePad, people can communicate with other Wii U owners in real time.

Internet Browser: Wii U comes with a browser that lets people with a wireless Internet connection surf the Internet from the comfort of their couches.

Technical Details
CPU: IBM PowerⓇ-based multi-core processor.
GPU: AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU.
Storage: Wii U uses an internal flash memory (exact size unknown). It also supports SD memory cards and external USB storage.
Media: Wii U discs and Wii discs.
Networking: Wii U can access the Internet via wireless (IEEE 802.11b/g/n) connection. The console features four USB 2.0 connectors – two in the front and two in the rear – that support Wii LAN Adapters.
Backwards Compatibility: "Nearly all" Wii software and accessories.
Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, Wii D-Terminal, Wii Component Video, Wii RGB, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV.
Audio Output: Uses six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI® connector, or analog output via the AV Multi Out connector.

Physical Details
Appearance: The new console features a compact design that will make it a natural addition to any home entertainment setup.
Size: Approximately 1.8 inches high, 10.5 inches deep and 6.8 inches long.
Weight: Approximately 3.41 pounds (1.5 kg).

Supported Controllers
The Nintendo Wii U GamePad

Wii U Pro Controllers
Nintendo Wii Controllers

Source: Nintendo's E3 Website for the Wii U

Tablet is single-touch and I heard a rumor the display isn't 1080p after all

I see no mention of GCN compatibility on their website either... (unless Wii compatibility assumes GCN as well)

Can we play 4 sword adventures with the tablet controller? And MP crystal chronicles?

Ray wrote:Tablet is single-touch and I heard a rumor the display isn't 1080p after all
On the controller itself? It was never supposed to be. It's HD for a screen that size, but you're not going to cram 1920x1080 pixels on there. All the mini screens out there that claim to be HD are HD for their size class, but not in terms of a large display.
Drevin wrote:I see no mention of GCN compatibility on their website either... (unless Wii compatibility assumes GCN as well)
I heard that it definitely wasn't GameCube compatible. There have been no mention of any GameCube controller or memory card ports, and they aren't included on any currently manufactured Wii consoles to boot. Sad, but I can understand that decision. The GameCube compatibility introduced a lot of additional flaws into the Wii's security. It probably also made the drive significantly more complex than it needed to be. Still, it would be cool if there was a USB dongle to add support for the controller, and then maybe they could release a few of the games via the eShop.
Ray wrote:Can we play 4 sword adventures with the tablet controller? And MP crystal chronicles?
None of the existing ones, but I would love to have them implement functionality like this for future games from those properties.

I didn't know video chat was actually confirmed, that sounds pretty sweet. I'm really hoping they up their game with the online though. I've been hearing things about the Miiverse thing and so far it doesn't really sound that promising. Friend codes being gone though is a godsend, I'm glad they finally got rid of them. Here's hoping they really get some more games online though; I would kill to play some of the games they say they want to be "living room/family room games" online because I have tons of friends who are getting the Wii U but none that live close, especially in college.

Still, we'll see. The 3DS was definitely a step in the right direction so we'll see how they do with this new console.

Friend codes are gone? So we can have a normal nickname now? I am not a number!

I hope there's some sweet, sweet 3DS integration on this system. I'm really hoping that the Nintendo Network is awesome and works well between the two systems... as well as other handhelds like they promised.

Ray wrote:Can we play 4 sword adventures with the tablet controller? And MP crystal chronicles?
Considering only two tablets can connect to one system, I suppose those kind of games will be online.
Drevin wrote:Friend codes are gone? So we can have a normal nickname now? I am not a number!
According to this... maybe.

My post wasn't serious, I just wanted to highlight an exciting possibility that would of course never be fulfilled due to Nintendo's sadistic desire to disappoint me

Here's the "launch window" list.
  • Funky Barn
    NBA 2K13
    007™ Legends
    Call of Duty®: Black Ops II
    TRANSFORMERS PRIME™
    Wipeout 3
    Skylanders Giants™
    Cabela’s Dangerous Hunts 2013
    Rapala Pro Bass Fishing
    Monster Hunter™ 3 Ultimate
    Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
    Ben 10: Omniverse™
    Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
    Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
    Mass Effect™ 3
    Madden NFL 13
    FIFA Soccer 13
    Trine 2™: Director’s Cut
    Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
    Zumba® Fitness Core
    Jett Tailfin™
    TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT™ 2 Wii U Edition
    TANK! TANK! TANK!™
    Nintendo Land™
    New Super Mario Bros.™ U
    NINJA GAIDEN™ 3: Razor’s Edge
    SiNG PARTY™
    LEGO® City: Undercover
    Wii Fit™ U
    Game & Wario™
    Pikmin™ 3
    The Wonderful 101™
    Aliens: Colonial Marines™
    Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
    Shin’en Nano Assault Neo
    WARRIORS OROCHI® 3 Hyper
    Darksiders® II
    Wheel of Fortune®
    JEOPARDY! ®
    Toki Tori 2
    Assassin’s Creed® III
    Just Dance® 4
    Marvel Avengers™: Battle for Earth
    Rabbids® Land
    Sports Connection™
    Your Shape®: Fitness Evolved 2013
    ZombiU™
    Rayman Legends®
    Scribblenauts™ Unlimited
    Game Party Champions
    Batman: Arkham City™ Armored Edition

Of all of those... MH3U and Pikmin 3 would be the only definite buys for me, assuming I got a console around launch. New SMBU would be a possibility, as would Scribblenauts Unlimited. I'd consider Batman, but it'd be unlikely that I'd purchase it a second time.

As it is, I'm mostly waiting for a few highly-anticipated (at least for me) 3DS games.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/10/06/uk ... l-console/

This pleases me. Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario: TYD - GO!

Can't wait to buy games I already own!! Seriously though, I plan to transfer my VC games to a Wii U and operate my GCN (+GB Player) alongside it. It will be nice to rid myself of my Wii.

I love spending money so this is a positive for me