Skyward Sword

For all the consoles in Nintendo's vast legacy.
AC Dasher wrote:
Drevin wrote:
link470 wrote:
link470 wrote:I may even complete this one before 2016!
Just did. Finished Zelda: Skyward Sword within 6 months of getting it!!!
I'm on the line with Guinness as I type
Me too. I spilled some though while typing this and talking on the phone.

Oh, Guinness.
Sir Alec.

Drevin wrote:
AC Dasher wrote:
Drevin wrote:
link470 wrote:
link470 wrote:I may even complete this one before 2016!
Just did. Finished Zelda: Skyward Sword within 6 months of getting it!!!
I'm on the line with Guinness as I type
Me too. I spilled some though while typing this and talking on the phone.

Oh, Guinness.
Sir Alec.
Struth!

*dies*

Damn, I really ought to check in more often.

No, I have not finished Heroic Mode yet, nor have I played in a few months. My Wii's pretty much breaking down (can't even play Return to Dreamland). I'll be waiting for WiiU before picking it up again.

Beat this one, finally. I'm not proud that it took me nearly the entire game and three years (get this... they think... they think I'm a little slow!) to realize that you can't play the combat sections like previous games. No hack n slash. It's like the whole game is a puzzle. Finesse and dexterity over button mashing and waggling. At that point, it all finally clicked. I was under the false assumption that you had to be quick with your slashes, but actually the game is quite forgiving. That's not to say I don't have any issues with the motion controls, but at least my largest grievance has been dealt with.

I'm taking it all back. This one is quite easily one of my favorite Zeldas yet. Control epiphany aside, I already enjoyed everything else the game had to offer. The visuals, despite being in 480p, look amazing. The game also feels way more cinematic which helps deliver that adventure feel. The characters are some of the most memorable yet. The item selection is stellar, and even better is that you get a chance to reuse each and every one fairly frequently. The game still has some problems, don't get me wrong (Fi. Stop.), but now I feel like this game is totally worth playing now.

And now for some (end game) spoilers:
the ghirahim battle was great, especially when he brings out his giant sword. that was awesome! and you had to slash at it perfectly or else he'd repair it... so cool
omfg the final boss battle was amazingggg I fuckin' loved how you see Demise get his sword charged and then think to yourself... hey can I do that? AND THEN YOU TOTALLY CAN I remember when the thought occurred to me, I lifted my sword up... and then it happened ahhhh it was awesome!

It's been long enough since I beat this game that I don't remember enough of the specifics, but I don't think I had quite had that epiphany... or I refused to accept it. I kind of brute-forced my way through the final battle. It took me every potion I had (some of them double-dose potions) and all but three hearts, if I recall, to finish the game, probably using around the minimum required level of finesse. I have another friend, on the other hand, who went *into* the final battle with three hearts, and spent several hours learning enemy attack patterns and shield block timings until he was able to win.

I'd love to play it again, but I don't have my Wii here with me at school, nor do I have the game disc, wii remote and nunchuk here to play it on my Wii U. I'll have to hook it up when I get home. I'd love to try playing with the Wii U's upscaling or whatever it does - I'm hoping it's better than my HDMI adapter for the Wii. (For the same reasons I want to try Twilight Princess and the Mario Galaxies.)

I don't know if the Wii U does anything fancy with upscaling, but it looked great regardless (I was running at 1080p).

I had basically played the game like you did Warp, up until right before the final stages of the game. It was when I realized the game doesn't expect you to have lightning reflexes and take your time a bit, everything started to make sense with the control scheme. It flipped everything I had learned on end, and it's a shame I didn't realize it up until that point. Going back in the thread, J is echoing similar sentiments in regards to "swinging blindly" or brute-forcing your way through it. It can work, but it leads to far more frustration. Exactly what happened to me.