Skyward Sword

For all the consoles in Nintendo's vast legacy.
Monkey wrote:So, if it gets good after the first 10 hours, how long is it?
40-80 hours of gameplay is my guess. Most people have been saying that anyway. Depends on how much side-questing you do.

Finished it last night (or early this morning, depending on how you look at it).

Roughly 40 hours long, including time to screw around on side-quests and mini-games (I spent a lot of time slicing that damn bamboo tree).

The endgame is absolutely fucking awesome. That last act is the stuff of legends (pun not intended). I'm not going to spoil it, but it's like the devs said: "Here, go crazy."
The few last boss fights really make to motion controls shine IMO. Swinging blindly here will get you killed - as a matter of fact, one of my two Game Overs was at the end boss (I had used two fairies in bottles, and I was down to one heart when I struck the killing blow). Timing your shield and sword is pretty damn important here.

On the matter of controls, I found that the sword works great most of the time, but I still wish I could use the pointer to aim. Pretty much my only complaint in that department.

Story-wise, I don't think it's the most compelling one to read as you're playing through it, but it makes sense once you get the exposition dump at the end, making it that much more satisfying.

Anyway, I unlocked Hard Mode: you recieve double damage and no random hearts unless you have the Heart Medal! This is going to be a blast!

Game-breaking bug, watch out.

I'll just wait for the patch ...nevermind

But a bug that requires a very specific sequence of events, which you're not super likely to hit. Either read how to avoid it and do so, or just make periodic backups of your game save... which is really a good idea for any game.

I'm sure I won't hit it. I don't go around talking to NPC's more than once.

If anything, this article tells you how to find it... =/ Avoiding it is done pretty much on its own.

Monkey wrote:So, if it gets good after the first 10 hours, how long is it?
That's a rather personal question!

link470 wrote:I may even complete this one before 2016!
Just did. Finished Zelda: Skyward Sword within 6 months of getting it!!!

Great game. I loved it. The motion controls were definitely a bit off at times with you having to quickly go into a menu and recalibrate your sword pointing direction [happened a few times during the final boss battle and trying to aim the sword up to get it charged with lightning], but I had no complaints. It was a great game and really good experience, and the sword/motion calibration was really simple to fix quickly and didn't take away from the game in my opinion.

The other thing I noticed is that this game is seriously impossible to get stuck in. Like, you have to be a really, really, REALLY inexperienced gamer to not be able to get through the whole game. Obviously, battles will take practice and some sections will take skill/thinking to accomplish certain tasks and side quests, but what I mean is the story line and getting stuck on what to do next. That stone around the side of the Knight's Academy [not to mention the fortune teller] seriously tells you absolutely everything you'll ever need to know. I actually used the stone a couple times to help me out on a couple of small things I couldn't figure out at first glance, and I felt ok about not looking up a guide and using that because I figure, well, it's in the game, it's legit. It's not cheating! I actually watched every single hint just to see how they did some things as opposed to the way I did it, and there were definitely a few that I had solved completely differently and then watched the video and went "oh, I could have done THAT?! LOL, that's WAY easier..."

I did unlock Hero Mode [of course, cause I finished the game], but I didn't start it. After sitting at that screen at the end asking you if you want to start Hero Mode and checking online quickly before continuing, I decided that I'll probably copy my save file, and then re-finish the boss on one of the copies and make that the Hero Mode save file so I still retain my original save file.

I must say though for the record, that this is the first Zelda game I've got all 20 hearts in, and completed all side quests. I went into the final boss battle locked and loaded with the Hylian Shield, 2 Heart Medals [for 20 hearts total], 2 Fairy Bottles, and 3 Double Infused Heart Potions [Potion++]. Just because I could, my rupee count was exactly 1337 as well. Needless to say, I beat the boss on the first try.

Now, a question for J-Man. DID you actually play through all of Hero Mode? I don't think I'm going to start it, at least not yet with the huge back log of games I have. But I saw that you were expressing excitement for that mode.

link470 wrote:
I'm on the line with Guinness as I type

Holy...holy shit. He beat it before me.

I think I need to go re-evaluate myself now.

Too late, Link. Now it's cool to not beat Zelda games.

Monkey wrote:Too late, Link. Now it's cool to not beat Zelda games.
Ah HA! No problem! I still have Phantom Hourglass unfinished in my DS!

Drevin wrote:
link470 wrote:
Me too. I spilled some though while typing this and talking on the phone.

Oh, Guinness.

AC Dasher wrote:
Drevin wrote:
link470 wrote:
Me too. I spilled some though while typing this and talking on the phone.

Oh, Guinness.
Badum PSHHHHH!!!