So I just ebayed 3 Pokemon games...what have I done

For all the consoles in Nintendo's vast legacy.
Yep. Just finished eBaying myself a copy of Pokemon White, Pokemon White 2, and Pokemon X, all in excellent condition.

Especially Pokemon X...it's in particularly x'ellent condi..nvm.

I owned:
Gen 1: Red/Blue/Yellow/Japanese Yellow (shoutouts to my Uncle for buying me that one when he was on a business trip in Japan wayyyy back in the day before Yellow was released in North America)
Gen 2: Gold/Silver
Gen 3: Sapphire (Yes, it's finished)
Gen 4: Pearl

Up until this past Christmas, that was all the Pokemon games I had (not including games like Pokemon Stadium and Stadium 2, which I both own by the way and are fantastic). Pearl I got in 2007, and 2007 was my first real year working after University, and after that, I just fell behind games so much for the first few years of working that I hadn't really caught up on Pokemon. But since 2016 and Pokemon GO's release for mobile, I've been much more interested in getting back into these games and at least finishing the ones I'd missed and playing through them.

This past Christmas I received Pokemon Shield and Pokemon Sword for the Switch, and Pokemon Ultra Moon for the 3DS (I actually decided to return Sword and keep Shield since I don't want to spend the time going through both when I have plenty of friends with one or the other that I can trade with, not to mention online. Ended up swapping it for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate).

So that left me with Gen 5 and 6 that I didn't own, so I decided to get those 2. I'd heard that unlike Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, Black/White and Black 2/White 2 were actually sequels and not just direct "upgrades" of sorts, as I've seen appears to be the case with going from Sun/Moon to Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, which is why I only asked for Ultra Moon on my Christmas list (someone please correct me if I've made a terrible mistake, but I'm fairly sure this is the case from the numerous forum and Reddit posts I saw online, and opted to just get the Ultra game instead of the original). I also saw the majority of people mention online that depending on what shade I get, Black or White, I should get the matching "2" shade. So that's what I did.

Thoughts?! Memories of playing these games?!

I have very fond memories of playing my younger brother's copy of Pokemon Blue, and then Red after my mother forced me to give it back to him and buy my own. :P
I have fewer memories of Silver, but I also remember enjoying it greatly. That and borrowing my friend's GBC so that I could link my Pokemon Pikachu 2 virtual pet to it. Pretty sure I played through Crystal, too, but not sure. I have a few memories of Sapphire, and using the eReader with it - I know I beat that one. I also know I beat LeafGreen, and I might also have beat Emerald. But that's where it ends. I've played a little of each of Pearl, Platinum, SoulSilver (brought my Pokewalker with me to Japan and linked it with someone in Akihabara!), Black (or was it White?), Y, Alpha Sapphire, Moon, and Let's Go Eevee!**, but never beaten any of them. It's hard to find the drive to spend the time on training the 'mons up so I can beat the game. Plus, the massive number to catch is utterly intimidating.

I do want to go out and buy the rest*, just so I have them, but I don't know that I'll ever find the time and patience. Being an adult with responsibilities sucks. As a gamer, I'm pretty casual these days. :P

*I actually do own some of the rest; just haven't played them sufficiently to feel good about listing them. My siblings dumped a bunch of their old games on me after they got out of gaming. But still I've... gotta catch 'em all. :P

**I need to play this more, but it is so saccharine that I might die of the 'beetus. I'd die happy, though.
Last edited by Warp2063 on January 3rd, 2020, 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pokemon Black/White were some of the weakest games in the series in my opinion, but did something pretty brave which was offer only new Pokémon during the main story. There are no "classic" 'mons until you beat the Champion. This would've been really cool -- like a reboot for the franchise -- if they bothered to do anything else different. The formula is exactly the same as it ever was, and most of the new designs were... well, let's just say they weren't that inspiring. I still finished the game despite my feelings, but quickly stopped playing after the campaign was done. I didn't get into the metagame stuff nearly as much as I did with Diamond/Platinum.

While White 2/Black 2 are marketed as sequels, they didn't feel that way to me. Story-wise they take place 2 years after the last game. Felt way too same-y to the previous versions for me. Like the Yellow to Red/Blue or the Crystal to Gold/Silver. I ended up stopping pretty quickly and later selling it (had I known you were interested in buying it I would've held it for you... d'oh!)

Pokémon X/Y on the other hand... had a blast with these ones. I feel like there were far more additions to the game than the previous two. The 3D battles felt really cool. The story wasn't awful (as far as most Pokémon plots go anyway). I really got into the metagame in this generation. Had a lot of fun building a "competitive team" with Ray (it used Trick Room and Parasect). The Kalos region was really cool and the French theme worked well. The music was great too, which I think is an often underrated aspect of some of the Pokémon games.

Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon are similar to White 2/Black 2 -- being treated as "sequels" while still largely the same as the previous game.

Warp2063 wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 9:39 pm
It's hard to find the drive to spend the time on training the 'mons up so I can beat the game. Plus, the massive number to catch is utterly intimidating.
Drevin wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 9:42 pm
I still finished the game despite my feelings, but quickly stopped playing after the campaign was done. I didn't get into the metagame stuff
Yeah, as a completionist, this was something that was stopping me from getting the other Pokemon games for awhile too. Pokemon Red was the only game I have the Pokedex 100% complete on, have my main 6 Pokemon in my lineup all up to level 100 naturally raised (no rare candy trick), and have beaten the Elite 4 and champion who knows how many times (many) and have been sitting at the max amount of money and all types of "Max" items like revives, repels, and everything else you could think of in a "med kit" in my items, all sitting at 99 items each, the max you could carry.

Needless to say, I uh, I finished Red.

Sadly, my Gold battery died, so I never did finish getting the legendary beasts (only ever managed to catch Suicune, they were an absolute pain and to this day my mind is still blown that I even managed to get one with how much they moved around the map and how fast they'd run).

But the others, I've just considered finishing the Elite 4/champion the main win for me for the game and don't really mind if I don't have all the Pokemon obtained in them. I'd say I'm a competionist in most games haha, but Pokemon is an exception; they can each take so many hours that it's really hard to justify all the time unless I'm really enjoying them, and if I am? No problem! Go back to them and I've finished the Elite 4 and will have a nice lineup waiting for me that I can go do extra content if I feel like hopping into one of them.

I'm looking forward to doing just that with these 3 games; playing them for the story, getting to know some of the new Pokemon (I seriously don't know any Pokemon after gen 4 and have been learning the Gen 5 ones a bit early before White/White 2 thanks to their release in Pokemon GO), finishing the Elite 4 and champion (or however these games finish), and then calling 'er complete and I can go back to them sometime if I feel like it.

i liked that about black/white. no more Fing zubat for a little while. i wish the swsh games would have done that instead of this discouraging approach, which excludes lots of pkmn from the game entirely.

found this online, but source says it's incomplete:

colored = can be loaded into sword/shield
white = totally unavailable

Ray wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 1:03 pm
i wish the swsh games would have done that instead of this discouraging approach, which excludes lots of pkmn from the game entirely.

colored = can be loaded into sword/shield
white = totally unavailable
Part of me wonders, and I know this is wishful thinking, if Pokemon Sword and Shield might get a software update over time that adds more, kind of like how Pokemon GO started with just Gen 1 Pokemon but is up to Gen 5 now.

link470 wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 1:16 pm
Part of me wonders, and I know this is wishful thinking, if Pokemon Sword and Shield might get a software update over time that adds more, kind of like how Pokemon GO started with just Gen 1 Pokemon but is up to Gen 5 now.
If I remember correctly, Ruby/Sapphire did something like this too. An update enabled Gen 1 Pokemon to be traded from LeafGreen/FireRed.

Warp2063 wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 4:26 pm
If I remember correctly, Ruby/Sapphire did something like this too. An update enabled Gen 1 Pokemon to be traded from LeafGreen/FireRed.
Now I'm genuinely curious how one ran an update on their GBA cartridge...unless it was just certain revisions of the cartridge?

All the original Pokémon were on Ruby/Sapphire although they weren’t all obtainable until FireRed/LeafGreen came out.

I remember it was quite the mystery back on the NSider forums back in the day before FR and LG were announced.