The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nintendo's latest hybrid console.
Drevin wrote:Launching for Wii U and NX
See now I'm not sure what to do. Do I buy Zelda on the Wii U, or do I buy it on the NX?

Everything I had always heard was that a lot of the Wii U gamepad design was designed around the ideas that Nintendo had for the next Zelda. But now, with the NX being a contender, that begs the question of how different the game will feel on a completely different set of hardware. I mean, I guess Twilight Princess managed to be released on the Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U, which are 3 very different control styles. So maybe this won't be as crazy as I thought. We still don't know what the NX will look like though, so who knows.

I mean we all were calling this from the get-go like TP was really the blueprint for them releasing a game last hurrah for a dying/dead console and the new hardware at the same time but yeah I'm in the same boat; which will I buy? I'll have to see the control-style too, I really made the wrong choice getting the Wii one back in the day and had to remedy that a couple months later when we finally could find the GCN ones on the shelf.

There's just so much unknown about NX at this point it's hard to say which will be better - I'm sure from a purely technical standpoint the NX will be the more powerful console, so that'd mean in theory a higher graphical fidelity for the NX version. Then again the NX could have some bass-ackwards control scheme that sucks so none of that matters.

Zelda will be Nintendo's only playable game at E3....

... do you hear that?

You hear that?

That's the sound of Nintendo dropping the ball.

/I know they don't *need* E3 but c'moN!!

AC Dasher wrote:/I know they don't *need* E3 but c'moN!!
Especially since they're almost entirely digital now with their announcements. No more live events, at least not recently. Seems to be all Nintendo Directs and digital events, even during conferences.

I must admit I like the treehouses and that, like those are really exciting rollouts

At the very least we will finally get a good glimpse as to what this game will be like. With it being the primary focus, hoping for information overload!

being on both systems means NX's not going to be all that different.

Ray wrote:being on both systems means NX's not going to be all that different.
That fits Nintendo's M.O.

So what does everyone think so far?

I was in total awe as I watched the trailer for the first time - just taken aback with what I saw. From the gameplay I've seen so far it looks like this is it, this is the Zelda we've wanted. You wake up, get a stick - and you're off to explore the world on your own. Perfect.

I have to admit the open world looks cool but also worrying - a problem I often run into with these games is that they are so huge, but the amount of meaningful content in the world is so small. There are claims that there will be 100(+?) shrines or mini-dungeons to tackle, on top the usual full-scale dungeons, which is nice but I wonder how "alive" the world will feel, or will be just be a vast sea of green grass? Hoping there's going to be more than just static content and really minor encounters.

If anyone can pull it off it's Nintendo, but I'm just a little concerned about the world and how big it really needs to be. Don't get me wrong though, my hype is off the charts and I'm gonna explore the crap out of Hyrule - empty or not.

Considering how much enjoyment I got out of exploring Shadow of the Colossus' world when all there is to do besides fight Colossuses (Colossi?!) is hunt and eat lizards for stamina boosts and find fruit in trees and I searched the whole damn game world to get the biggest meter possible which I didn't even need because I had already beaten (off) the 16th Colossus but damn that was good times. Uh anyway back to Zelda this is all I wanted a Zelda game to be, this is what the NES game was envisioned as but they were limited by the technology at the time, I feel. Anyway this made my morning yesterday and I was thinking about the game the whole day at work and it made me smile. Lame, I know. I don't want to get too overhyped but this looks like it could be my favourite Zelda game? Since 64 at least. Btw I absolutely love Wind Waker and TP (ya, sue me).

Yes, please.

day 0

Forget everything, it has parrying.

yeah yeah you can bounce back attacks since forever but when has it looked this awesome?!