The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nintendo's latest hybrid console.
Monkey wrote:
link470 wrote:
Monkey wrote:Visuals are too washed out for me
I'll have to see once the game is actually finished and I'm at home playing it on my TV, which I of course will be no matter what.
You may die of old age before you get to it. :P
lol actually, I've actually been working through my game backlog quite quickly! Devo and AC will confirm, I've been keeping them up to date on which games I've finished. I just completed Link's Awakening DX...finally. Owned that game since grade 5, and just restarted it and finished it in a week. Stoked to get some new games soon and actually be able to play them right away, trying to get everything cleared that I own right now to make way for these once they launch. Right now I'm right on target with doing that.

Side note but somewhat related, I ordered the gold cartridges of Zelda and Zelda 2 for NES and they should be here any day now. Stoked on that.
Someone that will inevitably ask this wrote:But Link, why not just play them on VC?
Good question, I knew someone would inevitably ask that. The reason, is that I was playing The Legend Of Zelda VC on my Wii, and I completed up to Level 2. Then I played all day on a Saturday and completed up to Level 5 and was looking around for some side stuff and then ended at Level 6, and I guess somehow I forgot to save or the game didn't save correctly [but I'm guessing moreso I forgot to save because I'm so used to games auto saving], and I went back to play the next day and I was back at Level 2. So I thought eh, if I'm gonna play these games, I may as well do it right and order the actual cartridges and own them physically.

If I finish Zelda and Zelda 2 [which I hear is incredibly difficult], I'm hoping I'll order Minish Cap, Oracle of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages after that, and have them all finished before this new Zelda releases in 2015.

You also need to complete A Link to the Past. :)

Drevin wrote:You also need to complete A Link to the Past. :)
Already did, although on GBA. I don't own the SNES version.

jk guys, it was Link all along, and he's not a girl.

Drevin wrote:jk guys, it was Link all along, and he's not a girl.
Nice, I'm glad that's finalized. I was guessing that must have been Link, definitely looked like a guy to me.

yyyeah he is a bit of a pretty boy, but I do actually like the design.

Don't be takin' that the wrong way... oh, shit

s'alright man. Link gives us all the vapors somethin' fierce.

wait what

Aonuma sez he's going to 'step back' on the tutorials in Zelda.

Master, I am predicting a 87% chance this Zelda is going to be awesome.

Drevin wrote:Aonuma sez he's going to 'step back' on the tutorials in Zelda.

Master, I am predicting a 87% chance this Zelda is going to be awesome.
I don't care if the tutorials *exist*, just put an option somewhere to turn them off!

Yeah that's a best solution I think -- they can have all the tutorials they want, just let us vets turn them off.

I'm fine with 86ing the tutorial. People playing Zelda, it's not like it's their first video game and you should hold their hands. Plus nixing a long boring tutorial would be a nice flipside to the slowest-to-start Zelda game ever - Skyward.

Every little tidbit about this game makes me more stoked. Especially the Princess Mononoke/Mononoke-hime inspired trailer. That's been one of my top ten favourite movies since I saw on VHS at my friend TC's house in grade 7 or 8.

There doesn't even have to be an option to turn them off for them to be optional. Traditionally, there have been optional houses with tutorials inside (like the master swordsman in Majora's Mask).

Monkey wrote:There doesn't even have to be an option to turn them off for them to be optional. Traditionally, there have been optional houses with tutorials inside (like the master swordsman in Majora's Mask).
But every Zelda since Ocarina (Maybe even Link's Awakening DX, which got a bit verbose on some descriptions, eg. the compass) has had some kind of non-blockable or non-skippable advice. It's been there for ages. Sure, there have been optional *bits* in some games, but the forced help from the games has only become more and more intrusive. Navi was the original worst (Kaepora Gaebora wasn't tutorial, but dreaded exposition). Tatl scaled it back slightly. Various characters in Wind Waker shared the help/tutorial responsibilities - Tetra, Nico, The King of Red Lions - which was well-done and not too terrible, except for the jumping game. The sword practice with the old dude was okay, and there were other optional, less-guided tutorials on Outset and Windfall, which were nice. (I don't recall for the Oracles.) Ezlo was a punk (but admittedly, it's been a while since I've played Minish Cap so I don't recall how "helpful" he was - just annoying). Midna could get a tad annoying. And then Fi was the worst of all - it felt like a third of your game experience was you wanting her to shut up, and the other two thirds was your attempt to recover from the hangover caused by her talking. Before you could recover though, she'd hit you again.

I'd argue that the "helpful" game text hasn't been optional for a long time, and has, on the whole, only become more intrusive to the point of becoming truly intolerable.

I've been playing some Shadow of the Colossus. That game's nice and quiet.

Warp2063 wrote:I've been playing some Shadow of the Colossus. That game's nice and quiet.
Yes! I love how that game just drops you right into things and says 'you figure it out!'. Still one of my top 5 games of all time.

Delayed to 2017
Launching for Wii U and NX

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/legend ... 0-6439249/