Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

Nintendo's latest portable console.
Very true. I'm expecting some interesting puzzles as the game goes on but I do hope they're BIG puzzles and not just boring ones like we've seen so far. The "totem" mechanic does have the potential for some good ideas but hopefully the game doesn't rely on it too much. I'm hoping there are some puzzles that require you to do some solo action on different paths as well.

Anyone else get an email from Nintendo with codes for the demo? I got one for myself and two extras, and I'm looking forward to playing with someone I know if I can. Similar to Splatoon, they're doing limited online multiplayer play times for demo purposes.
10/16: 5 PM - 10 PM PT
10/17: 5 PM - 10 PM PT
10/18: 7 AM - 12 PM PT
Send me a PM if you'd like a code. Note, though, that it's a multiplayer demo only. It's impossible to play alone - you and two buddies will either all have to have demo keys for local wireless play, or you'll have to play online during one of the above times. Local download play will exist in the full version, but it doesn't work in the demo.

I got codes too! Should be fun to try it out. Kind of sucks you can't do it on Single Player but still looking forward to giving it a go.

I've enjoyed the demo so far, with some caveats.

-The stages are really short. This is understandable for drop-in/drop-out multiplayer, though, on a portable system.
-Communicating a complex idea to another player can be damn near impossible. I had a lot of trouble with one player who had the bombs, and despite the fact that his plan obviously wasn't working, he repeatedly tried to throw a bomb across a gap that was simply too wide. Trying to move him to where he needed to stand to toss a bomb for us to push just resulted in him maneuvering himself back into the wrong position, so that us with the wind pots (or whatever they're called) couldn't push the bombs across the gap for him. It took a lot of throwing him around and moving the bombs he dropped before he could maneuver himself into the wrong position yet again before we were finally able to complete that puzzle.
-Lag can make the game unplayable. This is true for many multiplayer action games, though.

The game is fun. From what I've experienced so far, though, I don't know that it's worth $40 to me (but it's a Zelda so I'm sure I'll get it anyway). The costumes don't feel important enough or interesting enough to me to bother going through the trouble of crafting/collecting them all (but I might obsess about it enough to have to anyway), and I'm worried that there just won't be enough unique stages to add a lot of replay value.

Alright Afro I'm callin' you out! Since you got the game, how is it so far?

It's pretty good!

The Good
+ Overall level design is top notch. They really designed the levels and puzzles around having multiplayer. The puzzles are really satisfying to figure out the first time and teaching others how to do certain puzzles is interesting because of the lack of full communication. A lot of trust has to go into some puzzles which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the team.
+ There's 8 worlds total and you get a lot of freedom in the order you want to tackle them in. It starts off with just one world open but then you open another 3, then 1, then 2, and then the final one. (So the number of worlds available to you expand to 1-4-5-7-8). Each level has four parts to it that you tackle in order. They're essentially mini-challenges put together.
+ It's pretty damn challenging. Boss battles are really good this time around and having to share a life bar makes it even harder. There's also no "half / quarter" hearts worth of damage; you get hit, you're taking a full heart. So it's tough but rewarding. You also have 3 lives per level and you can't get more throughout. So you gotta be careful.
+ After you beat the boss of each world you unlock challenges for all 4 of the levels that offer new materials / more chances to get rarer materials for costumes. They can be really challenging. Some are simple like beating a level after popping all the balloons or beating it within a time limit. But others can be as hard as keeping away from insta-killing Wallmasters, not falling off or you lose a life, or the infamous "don't pop any balloons" challenge. That one's a bitch. One wrong move and you lose a life.
+ Costumes are fantastic. The effects range from powering up your items, sword, and technique to adding special abilities like running faster, increasing your special meter, and increasing the rate of rupee spawns. Some of these are pretty game breaking and really rewarding you for knowing the level too. For instance, Goron Garb lets you swim and lava and be invulnerable to fire. Well the Volcano level has one section where you have to complete a series of puzzles to douse the fire around the goal. You could play the part normally or you could just walk straight to the goal and skip that part. It's pretty great. I could go on about how the Boomeranger costume makes your boomerang a force of destruction, the rupee gear spawns so much dosh it's crazy, and the Cheerleader gear is great to have to increase everyone's Spirit bar, but I'd be here for a while. They're definitely worth the grind to get them. Costumes also usually only take one of each material required so there isn't much of a grind for those materials.
+ Trolls are rare. Since the communication is limited and everyone shares lives, hearts, and money (money isn't split, it's a collective pot and I love it), people are generally more concerned with getting the puzzle done so they can complete the level.

The Not So Good
* There really isn't much world building unfortunately. Hytopia has some colorful characters but they don't really stand out and you don't talk to any on your quest aside from the main villian. This isn't a deal breaker, just something to note.
* There can be a bit of a grind for some items but you can see what items you have the potential to get before you start the level. There's always 2 of one item and one of another. So it's a 2/3 chance for the common item and 1/3 for the rare one. This isn't bad but when you're looking for that rare one it can be a bit tedious if you don't get it (or you wanted the common one but got the rare one). Luckily there's a merchant who sell some items for high prices and a guy in town who lets you open one of four chests once per day to get a rare item (1/4 chance but you're guaranteed to get it after 4 days).
* While trolls are rare, they still exist, as do people that are just kind of slow. This isn't really a problem of the game so much as people in general but I thought I'd mention it.
* Lag happens every now and then. Usually it's pretty great but sometimes you run into some bad internet.

The Bad
- This game should not be played Single Player. They give you the option but it can be practically impossible depending on the mission. Unlike Four Swords your party consists of two dolls that must be carried everywhere unless you're controlling them. While they cannot be damaged by enemies, they do count as weight and can take damage from falling in pits. Switching between the dolls is too slow as well, making time sensitive puzzles and levels very difficult. Avoid at all costs.
- Because Single Player is very difficult, especially for the challenges, doing a completionist run of this game is probably going to be pretty hard. The way the system works is that once you choose a world, everyone votes on the level they want and the challenge they want. If it's not unanimous, it randomly chooses out of the 3 choices for both level and challenge. This isn't a problem if everyone's on the same page but if you're not running through all of those challenges may prove difficult without a dedicated team of people who want to run those challenges. You can always quit after the level starts but then it's back the drawing board.

Overall: Fun as hell. I haven't beaten it yet but I'm enjoying it immensely. The only thing I worry about is the replay value. I wonder if I'll want to go back to it after I beat it. Hopefully there's something for getting all 128 challenges, I'd love to go for that.
Last edited by Afrohawk52 on October 25th, 2015, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I had a feeling the single player was gonna be kinda meh (by the sounds of it), and yeah I worry about the replay value too. I guess the boss fights might make it worthwhile, but knowing the solutions to every puzzle is kinda a drag. Especially if you're playing with someone new, you've kinda gotta play dumb. Still, it sounds like a decent game, maybe one to pick up once it gets a bit cheaper (if people are still playing it online...)

You don't really have to play dumb as the puzzles are good but not so difficult they wouldn't figure them out on their own. I think it's worth playing definitely but as far as people playing it online later I'd probably count on the holidays being a good time to pick it up. Plenty of new players show up around then for just about every game haha

Afrohawk52 wrote:you unlock challenges for all 4 of the levels that offer new materials / more chances to get rarer materials for costumes.
Interesting. Reminds me of Hyrule Warriors and the materials for getting badges.
Afrohawk52 wrote:Costumes are fantastic. The effects range from powering up your items, sword, and technique to adding special abilities like running faster, increasing your special meter, and increasing the rate of rupee spawns.
Also interesting. I thought the costumes were totally cosmetic, so I'm looking forward to that. More incentive to actually earn them. Are there individual static costume designs that are unlocked, or do you piece together custom costumes based on pieces like robes, shoes, belts, hats, etc.?
Afrohawk52 wrote:This game should not be played Single Player. They give you the option but it can be practically impossible depending on the mission. Unlike Four Swords your party consists of two dolls that must be carried everywhere unless you're controlling them. While they cannot be damaged by enemies, they do count as weight and can take damage from falling in pits. Switching between the dolls is too slow as well, making time sensitive puzzles and levels very difficult. Avoid at all costs.
Hmm, I was hoping single player wouldn't be too insane because of that. The reviews I've read and review videos I've seen seem to think single player is doable without too much trouble. So I may start with single player.

Here's a question; if I start with single player, and lets say by World 3 things are getting flat out nuts, can I continue from where I am and bring in a couple friends, or play the next stage online, and then go back to single player? Or is it a file specific thing, like I only have a single player ONLY file or a multiplayer ONLY file?

link470 wrote:Also interesting. I thought the costumes were totally cosmetic, so I'm looking forward to that. More incentive to actually earn them. Are there individual static costume designs that are unlocked, or do you piece together custom costumes based on pieces like robes, shoes, belts, hats, etc.?
Static costume designs.
link470 wrote: Here's a question; if I start with single player, and lets say by World 3 things are getting flat out nuts, can I continue from where I am and bring in a couple friends, or play the next stage online, and then go back to single player? Or is it a file specific thing, like I only have a single player ONLY file or a multiplayer ONLY file?
You can just go back and forth between single player and multiplayer. Hell I'd say World's 1-3 are perfectly servicable aside from some of the challenge missions. After that though some levels are going to get really hard. But yeah you choose whenever you want to go back and forth between single and multiplayer, even in the same world. Choosing levels and worlds is done through menus so no worries there. When you play with randoms you also search which world you want to play and whether or not you want to play with a challenge (if you have it unlocked) so as long as there are people online willing to play you can find people for whatever world you're stuck in.

Just started playing this game. How did you do on it Afro? Did you end up completing all 128 missions/challenges? I've only just completed the first world regular (no challenges) on single player, but I have a feeling I'm going to need to do the challenge missions with either some of you guys or with a combination of Drevin/AC/Match in person via Download play (if I'm correct to assume that means they can download a level from your 3DS without the need to own the game, if I'm remembering MKDS correctly from high school).

I'm pretty sure each player needs a copy of Triforce Heroes.

That being said... I wish I could afford it. I'd really like to play more than the taste of the demo I got.

Alright, I finished the the first 32 "no challenge" levels (that is, finished each of the 32 levels without any challenges applied) single player using Doppels (the statue Link's you need to carry around when you're not directly in control of them).

I'm trying to do the multiplayer portion of Tri Force Heroes online. So far, I've only completed all of the challenges in the first world (first 4 levels) out of 8. I got lucky; the two players I ended up with were really good and the 3 of us just plowed through and had excellent communication using the built in emotes. We whipped through each stage and challenge with no problems. So far, the second world hasn't been as lucky. We'll see. I may have to play some of them via Download Play with AC, Drevin, and Match in person, or online with some of you guys.

How did you do on this game Afro? In the goals thread you mentioned you had almost 100%'d it I think.