Nintendo has lost the plot

Nintendo's latest portable console.
Nintendo knows best wrote:Nintendo announced the 2DS today, a new entry-level handheld system. The 2DS will be available for $129.99 on October 12th (the same day as Pokemon X and Y) and features a slate-like design rather than the clamshell seen on DS and 3DS models.

The 2DS is fully compatible with all 3DS and DS games but does not include the ability to display games in 3D. It still features all the functionality of 3DS (WiFi, local multiplayer, etc.) and can be put to sleep using a slider that replicates closing the clamshell on a standard 3DS. WiFi can still be turned off, though it’s done via controls in the software rather than with a physical switch.
Nintendo 2DS

The facts:

If it had XL-sized screens and better battery life I would have considered it, honestly

Launches the same day as X/Y, so this is going to sell ridiculously well

... Worse in almost every way, methinks. Why, Nintendo? Why?

Also, I wonder if the sleep switch will solve that Zelda puzzle where you have to close the system. Lol.

I didn't think it was that bad until I saw it. I thought that maybe it might be less likely for kids to break, but I doubt this thing would hold up being stepped on as well as a clam shell design.

...but at least you get an extra half hour of battery life?

Don't worry guys this isn't for us

nintendo is a toy company

no they make innovative and advanced hardware for my sophisticated and eclectic gaming taste

Nintendo what are you doing making things for kids?!

Drevin wrote:Don't worry guys this isn't for us
Sometimes we're just not the audience maaaaaaan!

This is rather odd. I think I'd like to hold it in my hands first before I judge though. If it's still comfortable, it's basically a less expensive 3DS and since it's coming out right when Pokemon X and Y release it'll definitely be coveted. The question is whether or not it's worth it. I don't think I could handle it not being able to fold up. That sounds like the worst idea.

Well, at least they're being consistent with their naming conventions that will confuse the hell out of parents.

Are my 2DS games compatible with my Wii 2U ?

Warp2063 wrote:Also, I wonder if the sleep switch will solve that Zelda puzzle where you have to close the system. Lol.
Good question! Never even thought of that, you're right. The map copy puzzle in Phantom Hourglass, if I remember correctly. The sleep button must do that.

Ya I saw this this morning when Drevin showed me and I'm just not sure...I actually thought it was an April Fools video when I first saw it and checked the date on the video, mainly cause the advertisement video with the older guy [guessing it's the dad] and the kid on the couch just looked ridiculous, mainly the older guy and his smiling/winking/head shaking. Borderline creepy, but that's not important right now. I just have always liked the fold-able style, and takes up less space and fits in your pocket. Really curious to see how many people end up buying this.

Interesting...I'm sure many of you have already seen, but it's ONE screen underneath with a piece of plastic dividing the two screens.

No idea why they didn't just make the screens right next to each other, even if some games would look weird (cause it accounted for the space between screens in old DS games)

Also interesting... the original video Drevin posted, Nintendo disabled the ratings/comments on it. I checked a random assortment on Nintendo's other videos, ratings and comments are all still enabled, except the 2DS video. First time I saw it it had a ton of dislikes though, so can't blame them.

It was probably from everyone disliking and hating on it.

I was surprised to see that they were still enabled when I watched it.