A Link to the Past 2

Nintendo's latest portable console.
User avatar
link470 wrote:
Drevin wrote:You might have just started in the Dark World... how many hearts you got?
Just checked, I have 16. When I continue my save file from "saved place" instead of pyramid, I'm just inside the doors to Level 8 / Ganons Tower.
That sounds pretty close to the end to me.

User avatar
It looks like it'll at least partially take place in the same world. Apologies if this is known, I haven't watched the video yet.

Image

User avatar
Monkey wrote:It looks like it'll at least partially take place in the same world. Apologies if this is known, I haven't watched the video yet.
You should probably watch the video. They mentioned it'd be in the same world but the dungeons and bosses would be different.

User avatar
I thought it was interesting that arrows used up your magic bar... no more arrow ammunition? I also think it's kinda weird that they kept the whole screen transition thing when moving between areas. I thought they did that in the original because of technological limitations? I think now they can handle having it all be seamless...

User avatar
I think it might just be to keep it like the original. I mean it's a small change but it's probably a little easier on them and keeps it closer to the original at the same time. But I don't know.

I have to wonder about the Magic Bar though. I've heard that's similar to a Stamina bar which would be strange but I'd be interested as long as it's not linked to everything like Bombs and junk. Then again, it might've just been a tech demo and they linked it to the bar just so they didn't have to keep track of the number of arrows. We'll see.

User avatar
developers probably thought about it and decided it was too much work

User avatar
Drevin wrote:I thought it was interesting that arrows used up your magic bar... no more arrow ammunition?
Yikes, awful decision on the developers' part there.
Drevin wrote:I also think it's kinda weird that they kept the whole screen transition thing when moving between areas. I thought they did that in the original because of technological limitations? I think now they can handle having it all be seamless...
They're either being lazy or doing the whole 'hey guyz retro ftw' thing that Capcom was doing with Mega Man 9 with sprites flickering and that. Which worked for Mega Man, rather not have it my new Zelda titles.

User avatar
I don't think the changing screens would have much to do with laziness; back in the day it was probably just for memory reasons. I don't see how it would be any easier to do it that way now opposed to centering the camera on Link. I think it's most likely for nostalgic value and I don't really mind it at all nor do I have a strong preference either way.

One other thing I could think of is that the 3D effect might be easier to focus on if more things are static.

User avatar
AC Dasher wrote:
Drevin wrote:I thought it was interesting that arrows used up your magic bar... no more arrow ammunition?
Yikes, awful decision on the developers' part there.
Drevin wrote:I also think it's kinda weird that they kept the whole screen transition thing when moving between areas. I thought they did that in the original because of technological limitations? I think now they can handle having it all be seamless...
They're either being lazy or doing the whole 'hey guyz retro ftw' thing that Capcom was doing with Mega Man 9 with sprites flickering and that. Which worked for Mega Man, rather not have it my new Zelda titles.
I could see the effect if they kept the original 2D sprites and all that, then it would make sense in my mind. With the whole new aesthetic though it seems like a relic from the past.

User avatar
Drevin wrote:With the whole new aesthetic though it seems like a relic from the past.
You might say that it's a link to the past.

User avatar
Monkey wrote:
Drevin wrote:With the whole new aesthetic though it seems like a relic from the past.
You might say that it's a link to the past.
.

User avatar
they made fun of me on gaf for complaining about the character art style

Image

that is a friggin mii. all the enemies look like fisher price toys.

User avatar
Drevin wrote:
AC Dasher wrote:
Drevin wrote:I thought it was interesting that arrows used up your magic bar... no more arrow ammunition?
Yikes, awful decision on the developers' part there.
Drevin wrote:I also think it's kinda weird that they kept the whole screen transition thing when moving between areas. I thought they did that in the original because of technological limitations? I think now they can handle having it all be seamless...
They're either being lazy or doing the whole 'hey guyz retro ftw' thing that Capcom was doing with Mega Man 9 with sprites flickering and that. Which worked for Mega Man, rather not have it my new Zelda titles.
I could see the effect if they kept the original 2D sprites and all that, then it would make sense in my mind. With the whole new aesthetic though it seems like a relic from the past.
Yeah that's precisely why it worked for Mega Man; it was a nostalgia trip, and a damn good one at that (9 is one top three Mega Man for me), but here it's coming off as lazy as I said. I think it is laziness Monkey no doubt. But even though I'm skeptical of some elements, I will probably end up buying this one.

User avatar
Drevin wrote:
Monkey wrote:
Drevin wrote:With the whole new aesthetic though it seems like a relic from the past.
You might say that it's a link to the past.
.
Image

User avatar
How is it laziness? I can't imagine it being any easier to program a modern game that way.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron