New Super Mario Bros. 2

Nintendo's latest portable console.

Stupid name. I really hope they ditch this soon.

Anyway, it looks like another NSMB title. The theme in this one is gold? Coins are in plentiful supply it seems (which likely means there won't be any shortage of lives).

It's nice to see the Leaf/Tail powerup back. P-bar as well! I saw a SNES-like boss encounter. No more "parp parp parp" music either (AC will get it)? I guess it's kinda there actually with that weird backing-voice thing.

If I'm completely honest, this game looks like it'll be better than the Wii U counterpart. I'll probably buy both anyway, though. Launches this August, so this oughta hold me through the summer.

confirmed buy

I would like this, but again, lack of copious amounts of spendable money... Also, I still have to beat Super Mario 3D Land.

If it's anything like the other one, they'll make copies for years, so I'm not that concerned about being unable to get it if I don't grab it at launch. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, however...

Ray wrote:confirmed buy
Agreed, though I really think the whole concept isn't as good as something brand new. It looks kind of interesting but unless they add more vertical levels to it it's just going to get old fast. I did like hearing that you can play it with two players but the fact that you have to stay on the same screen is kind of a let down. There are plenty of Mario games made by normal independent people that utilized auto split-screen or just not knowing where your partner is (because you're right next to him, do you really care that much where your partner is?) but still being able play seperately so I don't know what they were thinking with that. Still probably going to be a day one purchase though. Let's face it, I need something to hold me over until the Wii U.

Apparently the Koopalings are back!

Gameplay vid

Nevermind the PARP PARP PARP is back. It also looks like 100 coins != life, so maybe you get to cash in the coins later? Perhaps Donkey Kong GB style?

Remember when every new main series Mario game was something fresh, exciting and inventive in art, music and in relation to the platform it was on?

I... can... barely grasp those days.

If I were to get one of the ol' "New" Super Mario Bros. games, which I probably will despite my moaning and petty criticisms, I'd get this over the Wii U one.

And turn the volume ALL. THE WAY. DOWN.

So, what are supposed to do with all those coins?

J-Man wrote:So, what are supposed to do with all those coins?
Simulate Sonic the Hedgehog?

Quick, someone make a mod that disperses your coins on taking damage!

Ray wrote:Quick, someone make a mod that disperses your coins on taking damage!
With how many coins it appears you can get... I bet the game would crash.

Or we could just do it the same way they do in Sonic the Hedgehog. If your coin count is higher than like 30 then all that disperses is about 30 coins, even if you had a million of 'em. HAVE FUN.

Or you can watch someone play and throw a handful of coins at them if they screw up.

Or they could... yaknow... make the game fun!

In practice.

How many times do I have to fight Reznor and other recycled bosses? I want neeeeeew, like the name wrongly suggests.