Kid Icarus: Uprising

Nintendo's latest portable console.
Afrohawk52 wrote:It's not just a shoot 'em up, you have to really plan out who to take out first and keep your hands on that control stick to make sure you're paying attention for dodging.
What kind of Shoot 'em Ups have you been playing? :P

Otherwise, thanks for the impression. It's helped sell me on the game.

Monkey wrote:
Afrohawk52 wrote:It's not just a shoot 'em up, you have to really plan out who to take out first and keep your hands on that control stick to make sure you're paying attention for dodging.
What kind of Shoot 'em Ups have you been playing? :P
I don't...know. I wasn't entirely thinking when I posted that, I was just so excited about the game.

Got my tax refund, so I bought it. THERE'S ARTWORK PRINTED ON THE INSIDE OF THE INSERT!!!!!!!!!

Monkey wrote:THERE'S ARTWORK PRINTED ON THE INSIDE OF THE INSERT!!!!!!!!!
*sheds a tear* I miss the good ol' days...

might buy this.

good god what's wrong with me.

Nothing. This game is fantastic.

It is.

Just beat it this morning. The single player game is pretty awesome. Long and difficult, too. I finished the game with an average difficulty of 4.9. The multiplayer is well done as well. Heck, the game as a whole is. I'm glad Sora did this game.

One thing I do hate however, is that there's nothing in-game to explain what the values are or how they translate exactly in terms of DPS or whatever. I get that Health+3 gives me more health than the +1 version, but how much more health do I gain per plus? How do star ratings work? What about weapon fusion?
These questions are starting to really bother me, and I have yet to find a complete guide.

Other than that gripe, I totally recommend this game.

I like it, but can't play it for more than half a level without my hand cramping up. Not sure what the weird stand that was included is supposed to do to help either. I need to find something that will make the 3DS a bit thicker, I think.
Last edited by Monkey on April 9th, 2012, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkey wrote:I need to find something that will make the 3DS a bit thicker, I think.
The Circle Pad add-on?

How much depth does that add? Ideally, I'd like to get somewhere around the thickness of the original gameboy.

It doesn't add a ton of thickness, but it does add some. I mean, there's space for AAA batteries in a compartment underneath the 3DS...

J-Man wrote:It is.

Just beat it this morning. The single player game is pretty awesome. Long and difficult, too. I finished the game with an average difficulty of 4.9. The multiplayer is well done as well. Heck, the game as a whole is. I'm glad Sora did this game.
Agreed, Sora did a fantastic job with this game. My average difficulty was around 5 when I beat it but it's been climbing to around 6.4 as I've been going back through the levels playing for certain challenges. The last Treasure Hunt is friggin hard man! Some of those challenges are just ridiculous.
J-Man wrote:One thing I do hate however, is that there's nothing in-game to explain what the values are or how they translate exactly in terms of DPS or whatever. I get that Health+3 gives me more health than the +1 version, but how much more health do I gain per plus? How do star ratings work? What about weapon fusion?
Yeah I've yet to really understand it myself. I honestly just go for weapons with a higher rating because supposedly they're stronger but for the most part it's not all that noticeable. Usually I just go for weapons with supposedly good bonuses and at least one status ailment.

Also, NEVER go with anything that says "self-injury -x", where x is a number from 0-5. At first I didn't notice it whenever I got a weapon with self-injury -2 but after a while I noticed that your health just gradually goes down as you play. It never goes into Crisis Mode on its own but it's a real hassle. I wish there was a challenge to beat beating a level with a self-injury weapon, I beat it because I didn't want to lose the hearts haha.

Also J-man, Is Viridi your favorite character? She's my favorite character. She's my favorite character of all time.

Personally, I wish we could have seen more of Magnus and Phosphora. It's cool to have characters be on par with the protagonist, and those two I found to be well written. Viridi is pretty cool too ("I seperate my recycling into 15 different categories!" (BTW, anybody reading this spoiler and hasn't played the game yet, expect the fourth wall to be obliterated fairly often.)). Pretty much all the characters are decent or cool; it's just a shame they're wasted, IMO. Thanatos is just freakin' annoying. Can't say I have a favourite because the only truly recurring characters are the gods, but Hades is pretty much near the top; I like the banter between him and Pit during the final battle.

Yeah I definitely agree, more Magnus would've been awesome. Phosphora I honestly thought was dead until she showed up later on. I'd say a lot of 'em could use more character development, but I really like the way they were used. It seemed like a "short" story but it was packed with content, Sora and his development team get major props for what they worked with. It seems like a lot of people loved Hades xD Even though he was the big bad, I agree, I enjoyed his character a lot too.

I feel like this game on a full console would've been absolutely perfect though.

For those that played it... what's the best way to get hearts? Play on high-intensity? Go back to earlier missions 'n' stuff?

Finally gonna beat this one.