Ambassador GBA titles

Nintendo's latest portable console.
Warp2063 wrote:I like the DS Zeldas....
To each their own, mang, I didn't like Phantom Hourglass very much but I haven't tried Spirit Tracks. I figure if I didn't like PH, I wouldn't bust out forty shells for the successor.

Phantom Hourglass had it's moments. The dungeons felt really similar (aesthetically and gameplay-wise), and the sword mechanics are just not quite right. Again, it suffers from the whole "check out this new control scheme, but no other control schemes allowed!" problem. Also, the story is pretty much forgettable. Fun here and there, but overall pretty meh. Spirit Tracks did not innovate at all. It was virtually the same (I'M ON A TRAIN NOW!).

Off-topic almost, but how would you guys rate the handheld Zeldas you've played (not including remakes and ports)?
Mine would be:
1. Link's Awakening
2. Oracle of Ages
3. Oracle of Seasons
4. Phantom Hourglass
jury is still out:
Minish Cap - gotta buy this from the shop. OH IT'S NOT ON FOR NON-AMBASSADORS! FFFUUU-
Spirit Trops - might never play, who knows?

I can't give you a quantitative answer, but here's some short, opinionated qualitative ones:

Link's Awakening. Darn good game. Set a fantastic standard for handheld adventure. I still have enough nostalgia for it that it's hard for me to rate it too harshly. Slightly dated with a few of its control choices, but still awesome.

Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages. Link's awakening plus updated controls plus Capcom plus Majora's Mask plus Ocarina of Time = ... not a bad mashup. I prefer the story of Ages, the battles of Seasons. Some of the puzzles in Ages really frustrated me. The game link feature was an interesting idea, but led to one of the most annoying battles ever, IMO: Twinrova. As a 3D battle in OoT, great. Trying to deflect energy balls at precise angles without Z-targeting? Bad. The ring trading and evaluation thing was kind of a pain... moreso than map decoding in Wind Waker. Better controls than Link's Awakening.

Minish Cap. I've only played it once, so I'm working off seven-year-old memories. I remember the game being fun. Talking hat Ezlo was a little annoying, but, y'know, Navi. Most of the puzzles weren't bad. The friendship medallions or whatever they were called were kind of a neat idea... fun to find and collect them all, and you don't need a friend to do it. Dece game.

Phantom Hourglass. Wind Waker wanna-be. I enjoyed it. A few of the puzzles were creative, but most were kind of lackluster. Battles weren't very memorable. Downside: retarded sneaking dungeon after EVERY DUNGEON, and you have to start from scratch EVERY TIME.

Spirit Tracks. I really liked some of the music, I rather liked the humor. Puzzles were pretty simple again. Driving the train was actually kind of fun for me... I ended up cruising around for fun like in Wind Waker. Some of the battles were at least a little freaky/challenging (the ones I'm thinking of in particular weren't boss battles). Story was reasonably memorable/emotional for a handheld Zelda that wasn't Link's Awakening. Sneaking dungeon again, but less irritating, as it lets you skip stuff you've done before.

I thought Phantom Hourglass was OK, Phantom Choo Choo wasn't quite as good. It makes me sad that we probably won't the the traditional handheld Zelda style ever again.

Monkey wrote:I thought Phantom Hourglass was OK, Phantom Choo Choo wasn't quite as good. It makes me sad that we probably won't the the traditional handheld Zelda style ever again.
I hope not, I'm still holding for a new Four Swords game.

As for the Handheld Zelda's, I've played all of 'em:
1. Spirit Tracks - Absolutely loved it. The characters were fun, the style was great, the puzzles were extremely tough and the final boss was a lot of fun. Plus it was interesting to see Zelda not in the traditional "Oh gosh I'm captured, hurry up and save me Link!" state.

2. Minish Cap - So much content in this game. I'm so glad they brought it back for the 3DS Ambassadors, can't wait to play!

3. Phantom Hourglass - Kind of the same thing as Spirit Tracks, except it wasn't as good.

4. Oracle of Seasons - Pretty much same opinion with Warp, I liked Ages a lot but Seasons just felt a little better in my opinion.

5. Oracle of Ages

6. Link's Awakening - This is kind of low not because I didn't like it but because I didn't play it until recently (when I bought it on the eShop). I haven't beaten it because about halfway through the game I accidentally turned it off without saving. If you leave the game and go back to the menu, it saves your state, but if you turn it off, you're fucked. So I went from the 5th dungeon back to the 1st and haven't beaten it since. Probably should do that at some point.

I'd put that "Link to the Past / Four Swords" game on there but that would throw off my entire list. It's LttP, it's so good, putting it anywhere too low is criminal. Four Swords is pretty fun, I need more friends to enjoy it though.

Link's Awakening is really good. You should play it. I've played Oracle of Ages a lot, but never Seasons. I'm waiting for that one to hit the VC.

So what is the first game you guys plan on playing from the ambassador lineup, just to steer this thread a little back on track. For me, Fire Emblem. I would play Minish Cap, but I sort of want to finish Skyward sword first, Im still in the middle of Dungeon...I think 5. I played a couple GP's in Super Circuit for nostalgia's sake. Wow does that game look primitive. It also feels like your racer is sliding on ice all the damn time.

I've played about 6-7 missions in Fire Emblem. Only 2 people have died so far. There are two types of Fire Emblem players, the ones who just play through no matter what, and the ones who go for a perfect run and restart the mission if anything bad happens. Not only have 2 people died, but in one mission there was a guy on the enemy team who I had to talk to with the new character to get (or at least that is what the game was suggesting). He and his men ended up cornering one of my better Axe fighters in a village, so I had to kill him to save the guy who was already on my team. I felt like I had more of an obligation to him I guess.

I downloaded them all, but haven't had time to play yet. I'd kind of like to play Minish Cap again. Probably a little Mario Kart, some Yoshi... Either way, won't be for a couple days. I'm in the middle of a ton of self-imposed projects right now.

Not an ambassador, but I'll be picking a few of them up once they arrive on the store.

I'll probably play Wario again. It's been a while.

Drevin wrote:Not an ambassador, but I'll be picking a few of them up once they arrive on the store.
Didn't Nintendo release a statement saying that they dont plan to put the GBA titles on the store? It wouldnt make sense business-wise, but i seem to remember them saying that.

Drevin wrote:Not an ambassador, but I'll be picking a few of them up once they arrive on the store.
?

I could've sworn you bought your 3DS before August 12th. Try getting online and checking your downloads. They might be there.

They "didn't plan" any runs beyond the first for Super Mario Allstars either. NOA either lies a lot or they are clueless.
Last edited by Monkey on December 18th, 2011, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Really? That's... too bad. I thought they were going to put them on the store.
Afrohawk52 wrote:I could've sworn you bought your 3DS before August 12th. Try getting online and checking your downloads. They might be there.
Nope, I missed it by a few weeks.