Mario Kart Seven

Nintendo's latest portable console.
So I got Mario Kart 7 today. I played a few levels, had an absolute blast with the very well done level design, interesting new mechanics and overall fun of the game. I got to play a few of those levels that are a single lap instead of 3 and those are really interesting as well, especially because you can't go back later in the laps to get those shortcuts you missed (there are a ton this game around). Then I got to the Special Cup, had some really interesting levels with the big daddy of 'em all waiting at the end: Rainbow Road.

I...oh my goodness. Rainbow Road was not 3 laps. It was one lap, a really long, beautiful lap. I can't stress enough how beautiful this game looks in 3D, but Rainbow Road was absolutely gorgeous. It took so many new turns and twists with the level that I can barely even comprehend what I just saw. It's still just as treacherous, if not more, than the others, but it's sooooo much more amazing. The level design is top notch, the ideas they had while making this level were simply spectacular, and they even added a fun little part for those who are good at gliding. It was...just...wow. Best Rainbow Road I've ever played on.

Way better than MKWii. I'd even wager better than MKDS.

It's on The List.

Judging by the comments here, if I don't get it at Christmas, it'll likely be the next game I buy.

i think i will christmas acquire it. let's have a big ass-race!

Get it guys, we need to have a big NC MK7 marathon in the new year!

Hell yes. I can't wait to play Rainbow Road with you guys. We'll have a ton of races and laugh at each other on the IRC channel. It'll be great. *sniff* Just like old times!

I'm up for this, assuming I actually receive it for Christmas... and can work out how to connect my 3DS to the school's WiFi without using my own router... *grumble grumble*

Mario Kart 7 controversy

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... voice.aspx!

well, not really. But I like how Nintendo is pretty much making fun of one of their favourite franchises, probably just because Miyamoto doesn't like the big ape's games at all.

That's the same as Mario Kart DS and I still dissaprove

Somehow it's worse, it sounds the same when you pick him and that but he sounds like a cartoon dog with a mental deficiency!

What's that dog's name again? Scooby Doo.

That's cold.

I like the downplaying of tricks and bikes in this one. One trick to perform boost when you land instead of spamming tricks is more streamlined and bikes (I for one at least, believed) were annoying.

The character selection is nice; needless tossers like Baby everyone (fuck you, Yoshi's Island 2), Toadette and Birdo (not cannon, anyway) are all gone. Too bad a fat bee with down-syndrome and a Wiggler that shouldn't and kind of doesn't fit in his kart are in. Other than that, great characters. Metal Mario is nice to have.

The track designs are inventive and the finesse they achieved in recreating old ones is arguably better than all the past games. Haven't given battle mode a whirl; might as well just go and gamble somewhere, but online is so far great and all the music is nice, specifically remixes of the two games in the series that had good music Super Mario Kart and MK64. Yep, went there.

Sorry for the double post (not sorry), but I thought I'd get some thoughts out on this fine game now that I have actually spent some quality time with it. Doing Mirror Mode is sort of a bitch as usual.

I guess all retarded gorillas sound the same to me.

Got the game.

But they're your brothers, Monkey!

He doesn't even sound like an ape anymore. What was wrong with his DKC voice? He sounded fine! More importantly, he sounded like a monkey!

AC Dasher wrote:But they're your brothers, Monkey!
I laughed way harder than I should've at this.

I've laughed out loud at it several times, so I think it's an improvement over Mario Kart DS.