SUPER MARIO 3D LAND

Nintendo's latest portable console.
DID ANYONE ELSE BUY IT?

I AM SHOUTING FOR NO APPARENT REASON

I'm debating whether to spend $40 that I don't really have, or see if I can't convince my parents to get it for me for Christmas. It's a tough call.

Did YOU buy it? If so, what's your impression of it?

I got it. Apparently the difficulty ramps up after you clear world 8. It took me exactly 3.5 hours according to the 3DS activity log to run through worlds 1-8, hopefully that is not indicative of the difficulty curve throughout the rest of the game. The levels themselves are well crafted and the new dynamic camera angles bring an interesting perspective. I also hope that there are some extras to unlock. There does not seem to be a multiplayer mode or anything to do besides the main quest, and if that does not change I would consider that to be a major drawback. All in all though, you know if you are a fan of Mario titles, and if you are, you should probably get this eventually.

I have $13.

YES I BOUGHT IT, WARP. SO FAR SO GOOD.

COSMIC THAT IS AN INTERESTING REVIEW. FROM WHAT I HEARD THE DIFFICULTY IS "SUPPOSED" TO RAMP UP BEFORE WORLD 8, BUT I GUESS NOT. I'VE FOUND THAT THE STAR COINS ARE IN (SOMETIMES) FAIRLY CRAFTY LOCATIONS. ALTHOUGH I MIGHT JUST BE A BIT DIM.

bought it today online, i think it'll be fun

I'M GETTING IT LATER TODAY AND IT'S GOING TO BE AWEEEEESOOOOOOOOOME

I guess I was proven wrong this time. The reviews/response have been unanimously positive. I'll be picking this up soon hopefully.

Oh, I HAVE A HAT!

Does it play more like a Mario Galaxy/Sunshine/64, or a sidescroller?

Hmmm, its tough to answer the question because it really does merge bits and pieces of most of the games. I guess the game its least like is mario 64, there is no overworld hub of any kind and you're goal in every level is to get to the flag, rather than find a star that's hidden in the level. New Super Mario Bros was nothing but sidescrolling. This is mostly (as in over 50%) sidesscrolling, but not only is the perspective changing constantly, but sometimes you are climbing up/down. They also took some of the elements from galaxy for the platforming, such as the red and blue platforms that only show up one color at a time, and each time you jump the color changes, so you need to plan accordingly. Oh, the propellor blocks that were introduced in NSMB Wii also play a big role and I like the levels that they are featured in. Overall, I would say more of a sidescroller with 3D elements rather than the other way around.

Nintendo ignores Sunshine as much as I do, there's elements of 3 / 64 / Galaxy mostly.

Galaxy 1 had a hard-on for 3, Galaxy 2 had a hard-on for World and this one merges every memorable Mario from the past twenty years into one. Not to say there weren't elements of other ones in other Marios.

I kind of want the next Mario to be like Mario 64 and just ignore the mushroom kingdom, and put Mario in new worlds and not relying on nostalgia. But this game is still fun and I'm going to get it.

Sounds good. I think I will get it. The question remains, however... Christmas or do I spend the money I can't afford to spend...?

There have been plenty of nods to past games. Music, enemies, level design... it's a nice touch. The worlds seem laughably short right now though. A bit disappointing.

Originally I was going to post about how much I love this game and how much I agree with the levels being kind of short like Devo said but then I found something that supercedes my love for this game and turns it to rage toward something else. PETA.

PETA? What could PETA have to do with Mario, Afro? THIS. MARIO KILLS TANOOKI @ PETA.ORG. Words can't describe the rage I am feeling right now toward these guys. Rage, confusion, and the desire to bear arms all come to mind.

PETA has no power except what they undoubtedly get from our great government that allows lobbying . Just ignore them and they can't do anything.