20 Free VC downloads

Nintendo's latest portable console.
So if you havent heard, the 3ds is getting a massive price drop (250 down to 170) and if you bought before the drop (as we did), you get 10 free NES games and 10 free GBA games. These arent just any shit GBA games either, I cant wait for metroid fusion. Anyway, this seems to me like pretty decent compensation from Ninty.

Nintendo: Sorry to have dropped the price so soon like that, you bought early, here's 20 free games that if you never played, you ought to anyway.

Sony: All of your personal and financial information was stolen, and we ARE sorry. If you connect to the PS store we'll give you like 2 free games and maybe a nice lamp from your PS home account.

Haha, wow hadn't thought of that comparison Cosmic, nice one haha. Though they got newer games (kind of) so they got maybe a little less than us.

Anyway, when I heard about this, I flipped shit. I both love and hate this. On the one hand, I knew I was going to buy the 3DS anyway regardless of its price so /I/ don't have to be pandered by a ton of free games but some of the games being released are pretty damn awesome so I'm not really complaining. But on the other hand I don't see why Ninty needed to do it. Their sales are bad because there are no games for the damn thing, it's like how the PSP used to be. Just release some games on it and people will start buying it, you don't have to lower the price that much and offer everyone else free games.

C'mon Ninty, you're better than this. Hurry up and give us those Mario games. Or at least at the next E3 show us games we hadn't already knew was coming...

After they stop putting out sports games for the GB this might be nice.

Interesting move on the price drop, that didn't take long at all.

Well, although I slightly miss the $80, I don't regret the past few months I've had the 3DS in my possession. Especially now that I have a few fun VC games and Ocarina of Time. I probably would have spent that extra money poorly anyway.

When does this price drop go into effect? I've been lagging so far behind on sales and consumerism in general.

And that's pretty sweet.

Heh, so lazy. Anyway, I guess I'll be picking up one maybe in the summer now!

The thing is, I feel like in reality, Nintendo does not truly owe us anything, so this is a supremely nice gesture. Obviously this is an unprecedented price drop that nobody could have seen coming in the first few months of the product's life, but clearly all consumer electronics lose value as time goes on. As an early adopter, one must understand that the price will inevitably drop and that you are taking a risk by buying the first version of a product at its full market price.

That said, it's nice of them to throw their loyal supporters a bone.

Cosmic M wrote:The thing is, I feel like in reality, Nintendo does not truly owe us anything, so this is a supremely nice gesture. Obviously this is an unprecedented price drop that nobody could have seen coming in the first few months of the product's life, but clearly all consumer electronics lose value as time goes on. As an early adopter, one must understand that the price will inevitably drop and that you are taking a risk by buying the first version of a product at its full market price.

That said, it's nice of them to throw their loyal supporters a bone.
I agree. I thought it was worth $250, I knew exactly what I was getting, lackluster launch lineup and all, so I paid $250.

Anyone who whines about price drops is retarded. You bought something for a price that you thought was fair. Who cares what other people are paying for it now? That being said, I do think Nintendo knows what a whiney bunch gamers are an decided to do something to avoid more negative 3DS buzz.

If anything the price drop scares me. Like they must be fuckin worried if they're doing this drastic of an action. This kind of shit never gets approved by the board. Anyway, I heard about the price drop and my immediate thought was "okay... how about some free games Nintendo?" and then I see them giving 20 away and I was quite impressed. Definitely fair for someone that hasn't played even as few as 5 solid titles.

Well, here's the stuff I've seen so far.

-A lot of companies are now developing phone apps because that's what people are buying. Phone apps are cheaper and easier to develop and deploy than physical media, and phones and phone-like devices are so ubiquitous these days that you don't have to worry about someone not buying the system - they likely already have it. Some big companies (iirc EA is an example) have seen a large growth of sales in this field and are now diverting development funding there. Therefore, game companies that develop other hardware or software for other, less common systems, are starting to hurt.

-The 3DS is rather expensive and so far has not been a huge commercial success, partially due to the lack of software support, and partially due to the fact that the DS is still pretty darn popular. I hear it all the time at work - many people don't really care about the 3D (or they complain about it). The kids don't see any advantage. They figure that all the games they want are on the DS, so why do they need a 3DS? The parents aren't willing to shell out the cash for their kids. They'd rather get the cheaper option. It's interesting, but there isn't a clear advantage, especially at the price and with the current game library.

-The PS Vita announced that its launch price would be $250. This price cut and launch of more key games by the end of the year could be part of a large stunt to hurt the Vita. I kinda doubt this is the main reason, but I'm sure it's at least a side one. I think the fact that they're pushing so hard to have a new Mario title out by the holiday season is also in an effort to get people to switch.

But little kids also don't have data plans and iphones. I am convinced that the cell phone app market is largely breaking new ground rather than stealing nintendo's thunder. If Ninty bothered to release something for the platform, things would be way different.

Little kids are happy with their DS's (Edit) and a suprising amount have iPod touches.

Kids may not have data plans, but parents are a lot happier getting an iPod touch and spending only a couple bucks each on games. They can even lock it out so that only they can buy the games... their kids can't go nuts. I have cousins with kids where this is exactly the case. Spend a couple bucks each on Angry Birds and Plants and Zombies and keep the kids occupied for hours. And if the kid doesn't like it... well, at least they're not out $20-$40.

A lot of kids may have DSes now, but I have a feeling as more kids become old enough to play games, fewer of them will be getting DSes. This won't hold true for everyone, but it is a rising trend.

True, I don't think the phone/iPod market will ever totally take over handheld gaming... but it can certainly take a bite out of the existing systems. This price drop is going to help a lot, I think.

Late adopters *might* get the extras too. if they're fast enough.
http://exophase.com/24110/rumor-3ds-dro ... -wal-mart/