Nintendo 3DS Info Thread

Nintendo's latest portable console.
link470 wrote:
AC Dasher wrote:Yeah as link470 might remember I had the Seasons game and loved it but never really experienced Ages (I played for a bit at a friend's house, but that's it!) so I'll definitely be getting this maybe as soon as it hits the eShop. I'm just debating as to whether to play Seasons before...
Are the two games much different in design? It seems like seasons shifting and time shifting would make for fairly significant changes in the games. I still need to play these.
Scott, I thought you had Oracle of Ages at some point? Ah well, both are completely different adventures; it wasn't like the slight differences between Pokemon game. Seasons was generally more puzzle oriented in the dungeons if memory serves: ie. less puzzles more baddies as Ages was - so I hear/remember from my limited time with it - more action oriented. But yeah they had different characters, boss battles, dungeons, everything. Though I never knew if they linked up at all or if they drew parallels to one another.

You've got it backwards, AC. Ages was the more puzzle-oriented game, while Seasons was the more action-based one. The two games had different puzzles, different maps, different characters, different races, different abilities... There were linking secrets between the two games that could be passed via codes or link cables. Of course, there were some special rings that were tough to get in one version but easier in the other... but you don't need those to beat the game. And one of the best parts? If you played through one, you could transfer the save file to the other and play through that game - then you got two bonus boss fights at the very end - Twinrova and Ganon. I never actually beat both of those fights - they were TOUGH! I think only once did I make it through Twinrova to fight Ganon. There were also small changes in the world (some characters would say or do different things after you'd used a link code.) New challenges would be offered.

The games were both awesome. Capcom did a great job on them, merging the awesome gameplay of Link's Awakening with the more modern features, items, and characters of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

My suggestion: Beat Ages first, then transfer the save file into Seasons. Both Veran (Ages) and Onox (Seasons) are tough final bosses, but Veran is more puzzle-based, and I found her fight to be much more challenging than Onox (although I DID only beat Onox with something like three hearts remaining.) I suspect that fighting Onox -> Twinrova -> Ganon would have been easier than what I tried to do by beating Seasons, then Ages, by fighting Veran -> Twinrova -> Ganon.

Oh yeah, I reversed it didn't I? I guess I got Seasons at the time because I didn't like puzzle games much lol. Sorry guys haha

I think on Warp's suggestion I might just play both games twice; one run where I start Ages first and transfer over to Season and one run for Seasons first where I transfer over the Ages. I'd love to be able to not only experience the games twice but to actually see first hand what was changed throughout dialogue and things. They're both insanely fun games so I won't mind playing 'em twice. I just hope I play them in quick succession so I remember everything.

Occasionally, My 3DS abruptly shuts off and resets the time/date when I press start edit: or for no reason. It's out of warranty and would cost $85 to fix. It's rare enough that it's not worth considering paying that, but it's annoying. I haven't had a reliable piece of Nintendo hardware since the DS phat.

/rant
Last edited by Monkey on July 15th, 2013, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkey wrote:It's rare enough that it's not worth considering paying that
Guess I shouldn't have posted that. It's happened twice today. Damn.

Dying system battery?

My battery certainly isn't holding a charge like it used to, but I've never had that problem, Monkey.

I haven't had problems with any Nintendo system except for my original DS lite which had a faulty shoulder button right out of the package.

I mean the other battery (there is one, right?). I think there's a very small battery inside that works the same way as you'd find one on a motherboard of a desktop PC. Googled it - CMOS Battery... idk if the 3DS has one though

Ray wrote:Dying system battery?
The battery is fine afterwards. There's a chance it could be going bad, but it holds a charge fine.
Ray wrote:I mean the other battery (there is one, right?). I think there's a very small battery inside that works the same way as you'd find one on a motherboard of a desktop PC. Googled it - CMOS Battery... idk if the 3DS has one though
I doubt it would have one. It's not like there's any BIOS settings it needs to keep in memory and there's already an internal battery.
Warp2063 wrote: I haven't had problems with any Nintendo system except for my original DS lite which had a faulty shoulder button right out of the package.
My DS Lite's shoulder buttons stopped working.
My DSi's shoulder buttons stopped working.
My Wii's disc drive died (It did have a modchip, so I can give that a pass).
My Wii's replacement disc drive sounds like it's dying.
My 3DS shuts off for no reason.

It's not like I take poor care of my things. I haven't had any problems with any of my other systems, with the exception of an XBox 360 red ringing an another one (that I bought broken) having a disc drive refusing to open.

Monkey wrote:
Warp2063 wrote: I haven't had problems with any Nintendo system except for my original DS lite which had a faulty shoulder button right out of the package.
My DS Lite's shoulder buttons stopped working.
My DSi's shoulder buttons stopped working.
My Wii's disc drive died (It did have a modchip, so I can give that a pass).
My Wii's replacement disc drive sounds like it's dying.
My 3DS shuts off for no reason.

It's not like I take poor care of my things. I haven't had any problems with any of my other systems, with the exception of an XBox 360 red ringing an another one (that I bought broken) having a disc drive refusing to open.
Use and abuse. And it really IS a good idea to keep your systems in a case - something that keeps things from mashing the shoulder buttons when you're not playing.

link470 wrote:Should probably finish Link's Awakening DX too. Only had it since grade 5.
Just recently restarted this game. Finally finished it on a new save file, did it in a week. A week is much better than 16 years, plus, I couldn't justify continuing my original file anyway. I only had 5 out of the 8 instruments, but even worse, I had originally stole from the store way back when [probably to get the Bow or something], and everyone was calling me THIEF. Couldn't have that.

I recently found that my battery is dead for Link's Awakening. Playing Oracle of Ages again while I can.

Monkey wrote:I recently found that my battery is dead for Link's Awakening.
What's it doing? Does the Gameboy Color just restart over and over again after displaying the boot screen? If it does, I had that happen to my copy too, and I turned the GBC off for a bit, and then turned it on later after I had the game in it for awhile. When I turned it on later, it did the same thing once or twice, and then booted into the game, but it would restart after selecting my old save file and playing for a couple seconds. Then I'd loop the process a bit and get further each time, and eventually, it didn't restart at all. I went through the whole game without it restarting on me once.

Or maybe your game just fails to save now?

I own LA both in cartridge form and on my 3DS Virtual Console.