Piano

For pretty much anything else.

Hey everyone. I've been a busy little bee this past year and took up an instrument. I started learning the piano back in January 2016 and didn't tell many people about it. Mostly because I wasn't sure if I could keep up with the practice - so I didn't want to look like an idiot telling everyone I was learning the piano and didn't follow through. Eventually though I got a few months into it and decided - why not just surprise everyone instead? So that's what I've been doing... lots and lots of practice. This piece took me about 2-3 months to get down - mostly playing it off and on between pieces from lessons. Ocarina of Time is of course a game that's very near and dear to me, so I had to make sure I could do it justice. I hope you agree! Enjoy.

I'm aware of the timing of this post, but I assure you this isn't a joke

Good job! I've screwed around with musical instruments for most my life, but I've never had the focus to do anything like that. Props, dude!

Nice! I used to take piano, but I didn't keep up with it. I wonder how difficult it would be to pick up again...

Monkey wrote:
April 1st, 2017, 7:57 pm
I've screwed around with musical instruments for most my life
Which instruments, and which did you spend the most time with or enjoy the most?

I've been a drummer since 1999. I started with piano, but was too young to really appreciate what I was doing fully I think. After that, I went to violin in grade 4 band, and thought maybe I'd like that. Nope. Wasn't a huge fan. Then I tried guitar cause I thought the idea of an electric guitar with distortion and stuff was cool, but again, practicing was a chore and I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Then in grade 6, I found drums, and I took 14 and a half years of lessons and haven't looked back since. I love it.

Seeing Devo though learning piano this last year has reminded me how much I really do love the piano. It's such a beautiful instrument and I admire those who play it well/professionally now (Amy Lee...I'm looking at you...).

link470 wrote:
April 3rd, 2017, 7:03 pm
Monkey wrote:
April 1st, 2017, 7:57 pm
I've screwed around with musical instruments for most my life
Which instruments, and which did you spend the most time with or enjoy the most?
Piano first of all. I really wanted to play drums and agreed to learn piano first. Unfortunately my teacher died pretty early in and I switched to guitar with my brother's teacher. That was around 2000 or 2001. I kind of wonder what could've been (and what could still be, I guess) as piano always felt the most natural.

After a few years of guitar lessons, we started to just teach ourselves. My brother was better at that. I kind of just played power chords along to pop punk albums. I play more "real" chords since then, pretty much exclusively in the more recent years. I don't ever do any lead stuff at all. I'd like to learn some finger picking stuff if I ever remember to pick up new strings.

I picked up a banjo a couple years back. I was worried I'd get confused with the different finger placement for the same chords, but somehow my brain makes the switch. Banjo is really, really fun. You play your own accompaniment.

Another really fun instrument is the Game Boy. I went through a chiptune phase a few years back and played around with it myself. You really appreciate the compositions and some of the sounds those guys make when you know lsdj yourself.

I've still never played the drums.