Things You've cooked

For pretty much anything else.
Yeah, the peppers are chopped up coarsely and it's still actively fermenting. I could strain out the solids or blend it all together, but I kind of like it as is.

are we still young enough not to have to worry about cholesterol?

I'm no doctor, but I've never heard of any 20-somethings who are at least moderately active having chloresterol issues.

Made some bread today. It's the first I've made like what you'd get from a bakery; it's soft and not too dense inside. I learned a lot about gluten and fermentation in past months and this is the first time it all (almost) came together. I burned the bottom pretty good, though. I subbed a pumpkin porter (dark beer) for water so it's darker, sweeter and has a hint of pumpkin spice.

Ate some with pasta, which isn't the ideal pairing for the spices, but it overpowered them.

Monkey wrote:I subbed a pumpkin porter (dark beer) for water so it's darker, sweeter and has a hint of pumpkin spice.
That actually sounds really interesting...

It's been awhile since I made bread. I actually own a bread maker but I haven't used it in probably 7 years.

Made some Apple pie yesterday. I make a killer pie crust.

It's cooking season! Pork roasts are like $1/pound (America!) now so I'll do one soon. I wish I could share it with you guys.

Monkey wrote:I wish I could share it with you guys.
I wish I could eat it! That sounds delicious. I love Apple pie too. Tell us Monkey, what makes your crust so good?

Butter.

Specifically not over mixing it and keeping it cool. You don't want it to melt until it's in the oven where the small chunks will evaporate and make a delightfully flaky crust.

I freeze the butter and grate it with a cheese grater. I also drop the extra cash for European butter for pie crusts and pastries. Other than that the recipe is straight out of my sister's pastry book. Unlike most pie crust recipes, there's no water to worry about (the amount of which will vary depending on humidity, exactly how much flour you used and other variables), it uses an egg instead, which holds everything together nicely and importantly, quickly, as you're not tinkering with the amount of liquid.

Bumping this thread because I love it.

Made pizza tonight, which isn't unusual at all. Barbecue sauce (in lieu of a tomato based pizza sauce), chicken, tomatoes, bacon and pineapple was an epiphany I had earlier this week and it totally worked.

Monkey wrote:Barbecue sauce (in lieu of a tomato based pizza sauce), chicken, tomatoes, bacon and pineapple
That sounds awesome. I just about made a pizza last night as well, but needed to use up some mashed potato mix. So I ended up making that, and then adding stuff to mix in like veggies and chicken, some sauce I don't even remember, and it ended up working better than I expected.

Mmm... mystery sauce....

I'm not really into barbecue flavor. I'm told that North Carolina barbecue is the best, and is vinegar rather than sugar-based, or something. I'll probably end up trying it at some point.

I watched a documentary about all the different barbecue variants across the country. I wish I could remember it. Sauce vs no sauce vs different sauce, pork vs beef. I'd eat it all, honestly.

I can cook instant Ramen, does that count?

colesepic wrote:I can cook instant Ramen, does that count?
Pics??? Ramen ain't too bad if you toss the seasoning packet and season it yourself.

Protip: if you're ever without a way to cook, you don't even need to cook that stuff, just soak it in water (or beer or whatever) for a while.