Things You've cooked

For pretty much anything else.
so saw Monkey's pork chops topic and they sounded delicious so I figured, why not make a topic on stuff we've cooked and share that :P (and since I love cooking...)

some of my favorites:
- Fried Bavarian Meatloaf sandwich with caramelized onions and cucumber salad in a creamy dill dressing
- Slow Cooked Pulled Pork in Guinness BBQ sauce with coleslaw
- Diced garlic sausage with chicken and shallots mixed with Sour Cream
- Cherry Tomato/ Cherry Bocconcini Caprise salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, fresh basil and oregano
- Lamb Chop butter seared and baked with fresh thyme and basil with butter and green onion mashed potatoes

some of these I've cooked for AC, Drevin, and Link470

Now this is my kinda topic! Let's share the recipes too though, eh?

I recently got a slow cooker and have been in a huge kick, trying out many recipes... here's some of my favorites so far:

Slow-Cooked Pulled Pork (easy style)

Ingredients:
A pork roast (whatever is cheapest, no need to get fancy... but feel free if you've got money to blow)
Some veggies (onions/carrots/potatoes)
BBQ sauce
A bit of water (just enough to keep things moist, like 1/3 of a cup at most, but depends on the size of your cooker)

What Do:
Chop up your veg (no need to get fine, just chunk-ify it) and plunk them in the bottom of the slow-cooker.
Rest your roast on top of the veggies.
Add your water and let 'er rip.
Cook on Low for at least 8-10 hours for maximum tenderness.
Remove your roast and shred using 2 forks. I find a big bowl makes this really easy.
Add BBQ sauce to shredded pork and mix vigourously.
Serve either by itself or in a bun, with veggies or whatever side. Include a pint for maximum enjoyment.

Devo's Beef Stew
Been working on this one for a while and I think I've got a good thing going here... stole some ideas from other recipes. Keeps really well in the fridge for at least 3 days, would freeze well too.

Ingredients:
Red Potatoes (i usually go for 3 fist-sized ones)
Onion (1 whole medium/yellow onion)
Celery (a few stalks)
Carrots (1 bunch)
1.5lb of stewing beef (might need more or less depending on cooker size)
1L of Veggie Juice (stuff like Mott's or V8)
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
A splash of vegetable oil (olive oil is fine)
Pepper
Some water (optional)
Corn starch to thicken (optional)

What Do:
Chop up veg (coarse, big chunks - but not too big, keep in mind these things have to cook through)
Add to slow cooker. Add beef.
Add vegetable juice, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and water (if needed, just to add more liquid if that's how you like it).
Cook on Low for 9-10 hours.
(Optional step to thicken) 20 minutes before serving, add corn starch, probably at most 2 tablespoons. Set Slow Cooker to High.
Serve. Dinner buns optional.

Slow Cooker Sesame Garlic Chicken
DELCIOUS. I love garlic. This has a lot of fatty stuff it in though, so if you're looking for nutrition... probably best to look elsewhere. If you're looking for a comfort-food type meal, dig in. The ketchup is the magic ingredient here. Also I use chicken thighs instead of breasts as I feel that thighs cook better. You can cook with chicken breasts just fine too, but they don't take nearly as long, so you would need to switch the cooker to Warm (or Off, or invest in a timered slow cooker like me) before too long otherwise they dry out.

My guide on how to cook chicken fast and easy and pretty decent tasting:

Mexican:
1. dice it / cut small pieces and mix with salsa in pan. heat on medium/high/low, whatever you feel like. no oil or butter or anything for the pan.

Asian:
1. cut into medium/small pieces. cover each piece in flour (this is a cool trick). put a lil bit of oil in the pan and cook the chicken on medium-low until the outsides are all kinda darker.
2. add a flavor mixture. can be anything. example: soy sauce, honey, sugar, and garlic. (sometimes your flavor mixture will be better off if you heat it up before adding it, other times it's cool to just add it directly).
3. stir a lot as your cook it for the remaining time so it doesnt burn.

Whatever-spice-you-have Chicken:
1. mix pieces of chicken (1-2 bite size) with a lil oil and whatever seasonings you have
2. put a lil oil in the pan
3. make the pan hot and put the chicken in
4. flip the chicken after it turns white on one side
5. take a bite and see if it's white on the inside too. if it is, it's done.

Fried chicken:
1. last time i tried, i couldn't get the breading to stick, so idk what to do about it

Chicken wings:
1. i haven't really learned this but my friend is gonna each. they go in the oven after marinating and getting breadcrumbs and stuff

I cook all the time now. Cooking is great because you can get good food for cheap. Pizza in a cast iron pan is great and simple if you have one.

Dough: Flour, beer, yeast.
1. Rehydrate yeast in warm water.
2. Add yeast and beer to mixing bowl, add as much flour as you can mix in, then knead more in. You want to get it to a point to where it isn't sticky.
3. Clean and grease the bowl and let rise, covered with wax paper and a wet towel. The longer, the better, but it'll be fine once it's noticeably bigger.

Once it's risen, divide into balls and put them back into the covered bowl so they don't dry out. You can freeze any extra dough balls in individual sandwich bags and they'll though out pretty quickly in warm water.
Optional: A bit of olive oil will make the dough softer and an egg will make it crunchier on the bottom and crust.

Sauce:
If your pan has any depth to it, use diced tomatoes. You can used either crushed or diced in a shallow pan. Crushed tomatoes get pretty watery in a deep dish pizza.
1.Combine tomatoes with oregano, basil, thyme and garlic. For better sauce, let it sit for a while.

Cheese:
Shredded mozzarella (shred it yourself. They have a weird coating on the preshredded cheeses and they don't taste as good) and optionally, Parmesan and Romano. I go for a 4:1:1 ratio. This will make the cheese less stringy.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
1. Roll out the dough to fit your pan put on pan. After you put it on you can optionally let it rise a second time for a fluffier crust.
2. Push the edges up to the top, cover with sauce, cheese and whatever toppings you want (hold off on stuff like spinach until after it's cooked.)
3. Cook it until the cheese starts to brown. You'll probably burn your cheap oven mitts/pot holders when removing it.

The great part about using a cast iron pan is that you can throw it on a burner if the bottom isn't crispy enough. You can also preheat the pan along with the oven and the dough will start cooking as you're making the pizza. Cast iron retains a lot of heat, so take it out of the pan once the bottom is to your liking.

I'll write about some other stuff later. Habenero salsa, ribs, orange chicken, dirt cheap soup, bacon stuffed jalapeno poppers.
Ray wrote:Fried chicken:
1. last time i tried, i couldn't get the breading to stick, so idk what to do about it
Did you pat the chicken dry first? The chicken juice can cause problems. I haven't fried anything in a while, but I think it goes: flour, milk(or buttermilk)/egg mixture, breadcrumbs. Beer batter is even easier (and messier), just mix everything together (beer, eggs, flour), flour, then dip. You can also just use a flour/spice mixture. Coat and fry with just that.

Now I want some smelt. Mix some flour, salt and pepper. Toss smelt in the mixture and pan fry.

I should get a wok and a cast-iron pan.

Cast iron is great. $20 and if you take care of it, it'll outlast you.

Monkey wrote:Cast iron is great. $20 and if you take care of it, it'll outlast you.
it's true, im so stoked to start using mine, just worried I'll screw up the seasoning on it and hafta get a new one :P

I've heard 'seasoning your cast iron pan' mentioned a lot - what's that all about?

cast iron is cool but it's so much more work than a cheap non-stick pan

Ray wrote:cast iron is cool but it's so much more work than a cheap non-stick pan
Not really. Seasoning it once a year is easier than going out and buying a new pan every few. Beyond that, you just have to keep it dry.
Drevin wrote:I've heard 'seasoning your cast iron pan' mentioned a lot - what's that all about?
Put some oil on it put and it in the oven every now and then. It'll keep it from rusting and as a bonus food is less likely to stick to it. You don't have to do it that often.
Last edited by Monkey on March 1st, 2015, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkey wrote:
Drevin wrote:I've heard 'seasoning your cast iron pan' mentioned a lot - what's that all about?
Put some oil on it put it in the oven every now and then. It'll keep it from rusting and as a bonus food is less likely to stick to it. You don't have to do it that often.
Ah! Good to know. I was wondering the same thing. Had no clue what seasoning a pan was about.

they get dirty though and cleaning them is not fun

not much comes close to the therapeutic power of cleaning dishes, let me tell you

Drevin wrote:not much comes close to the therapeutic power of cleaning dishes, let me tell you
+1

This may be one of the most interesting threads I've seen on NC. I think I'll try out a few of these recipes sometime.

Also I agree, cleaning dishes does feel nice. I never really considered it to be but I'm never upset or disappointed about it and the time just seems to fly by while doing it, especially with some music on.