Star Wars Episode VII [Spoilers]

For pretty much anything else.
SPOILER WARNING

SPOILER WARNING

SPOILER WARNING

SPOILER WARNING

The new 88 second trailer is here! I figured this would be a good time to start some discussion on Episode VII.

Now it's only a teaser but it succeeded in hyping me up. New stormtroopers look pretty sinister. New lightsaber design?! I like it. I wonder if it's technically a "light"saber or some new tech. ...ahhh! When the main theme started playing I had a big-ass grin on my face.

I just watched it. I'm going into it with the mindset that it's not going to be any better than the new Star Treck movies. That being said, I'll watch every Star Wars movie at least once (with the exceptions of the Ewock and Christmas spinoffs, I have no motivation to seek those out).

I like the design of the speeder; it has more of a "Star Wars" feel than the vehicles in the prequels. Even the dumb droid on a sphere seems like a better fit than a lot of the stuff in the prequels. I'm not really on the prequel hating bandwagon, though it may sound that I am; I'll watch them now and again and they're decent enough (Lucas always said Episode I would be more for kids and I really liked it as a kid). I'm glad to see that there seems to be some non-Jedi action going on; I prefer stuff that doesn't focus on them as much. There's been too much of a focus on them recently and the prequels made me hate the Jedi Order, as they're shown to be a bunch of politicians that indoctrinate kids, though that fact does make me like Anakin more (until he starts working for a politician and kills some kids...) Too bad Hayden Christensen played him in the movies, I really like the character, especially in Clone Wars.

I did laugh out loud at the lightsaber reveal.

Edit: At least I've revised this comments less times than George revised Star Wars..
Last edited by Monkey on November 28th, 2014, 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

My favorite part was easily the Millennium Falcon flyby. It just looks so much more technically detailed and advanced.

Yeah the "Flyby" as it were is really cool. I love how we see the [MFing] MF at that crazy camera angle too and that awesome reflection.

This is really a fucking teaser though, no joke. I mean I know teasers but holy. Could they please just hang on something for five seconds? Four? No? Ooookay, well I like everything except that one black actor who popped out of nowhere in the foreground made me think I clicked on one of the hundred fake teasers on youtube. Like seriously I thought I clicked the wrong one and checked. He looks like an actor hired for Spaceballs and had me thinking they were gonna comb the desert with a big ass comb! I guess he's just camp. Also the point of having a droid on a soccer ball doesn't even make sense in a science fiction-y way.

Anyway I really can't wait to see this thing in theaters in a year (!) and I really think it'll blow the prequels right out of the pool. I expect to be thoroughly entertained, at any rate.

Someone mentioned this in a comment section -- when the X-Wings are zooming along the lake/ocean/whatever, it totally reminds me of Corneria from Star Fox 64.

Anyway yeah a big tease for sure... and waiting a whole year is gonna be brutal. I'm still debating if I want to rush to see this first thing or not... Usually it's pretty busy for new releases in theatres. Can't imagine what it'd be like for a movie like this.

I'll go to a matinee a week or two after it releases. I love Star Wars, but I'm not one to spend more than 50% of the price of a DVD on a movie ticket. I'm also a total weirdo and prefer going alone when I have time to waste.

Drevin wrote:Usually it's pretty busy for new releases in theatres. Can't imagine what it'd be like for a movie like this.
Ya, not to mention the inevitable hoard of cos-players... I'll never forget seeing Episode 3 on the midnight premiere showing. The place was packed and a good half of the people who went were also dressed up. There were red imperial guards at the doors to the local Silvercity, and a lightsaber battle on the front platform/subwoofer of the auditorium we were in waiting for the movie to start until staff came in and told them to get off the platform.

Looks like Cloud is making a cameo

Monkey wrote:

Wow. It could possibly be good.
I laughed at the smiley face troopers

I shouldn't have watched that trailer. Without the trailer, it was simply, "I will see this movie at some point, but I have no feelings for or against it." Now I have a bit of hype, and there are still eight months to go. I don't need the hype this early.

That slow pan toward the Star Destroyer...

That chrome Stormtrooper...

That new "Darth Vader"...

FLYING THROUGH THE STAR DESTROYER

"Chewie... we're home."

all smiles throughout the whole thing. I gots feelings in mah bones... this is gonna be something great.

Looks amazing. I was all grins the whole time to and Star Wars meant nothing to me in my youth. It wasn't until I was 22 or something, bored, in Future Shop with 30 bucks in my pocket and grabbed the Star Wars Original Trilogy collection, went home and watched 'em on a Saturday and said to myself 'so that's what it's all about'. I liked all three thoroughly especially the third because I felt I'd never seen any of it; I hadn't seen any of the movies but the first two in particular are so oft referenced in pop culture I knew how a lot of the events were going to play out... and enjoyed 'em

Anyway I can't wait to see this, it looks very thrilling. That "Chewie... we're home." haha dayum that's water cooler talk for the week.

AC Dasher wrote:That "Chewie... we're home." haha dayum that's water cooler talk for the week.
Hahaha well put. Ya, the second vid here is really good.

2 parts that stood out to me:
•That part, which was just so surreal seeing Harrison Ford as Han Solo again, especially at that age but still looking the part fantastically at 72 years old.
•The beginning where the X-Wing was shown shot down in the desert, and then HOLY EFF IS THAT A STAR DESTROYER IN THE BACKGROUND?

Love that.