Books you have read lately?

For pretty much anything else.
Nearly 6 years in the making that last one is.

Warp2063 wrote:I love Sanderson's Mistborn series, and Elantris was pretty good. I've heard he's done a lot of other good stuff, too.
Mistborn is on my "to read" pile, after WoT that might be next!

Drevin wrote:Nearly 6 years in the making that last one is.
Ya I was on a roll after reading the other 2 and finally thought ok, this is it, I'm reading it.

Drevin wrote:
Warp2063 wrote:I love Sanderson's Mistborn series, and Elantris was pretty good. I've heard he's done a lot of other good stuff, too.
Mistborn is on my "to read" pile, after WoT that might be next!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn_series

I highly recommend that you read the whole original trilogy. Mistborn itself is great, but as a whole, the trilogy is beautiful. Each book can actually be read fairly stand-alone. I read the third one first, because I picked it up on a whim in a clearance section where they were trying to get rid of hardcover copies to make way for the cheaper paperbacks. I've also read the first book in the Wax and Wayne trilogy, due to money issues don't own the second, and by a crazy twist of fate own the third but can't read it yet because I haven't read the second. Plan to remedy that once my new job starts paying me. Also, the first book in the Wax and Wayne series leaves off in a cliffhanger, so I *really* want to read the second.

Yeah I'm torn on starting the Mistborn series or the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher as I've heard that's a great series too. 20 some odd books so it should keep me busy...

read 021. went pretty quick, mostly repeats what you might have read on hackernews but in a coherent way

Book twelve done! I went on a READING SPREE the last few days. I'm onto book thirteen (of fourteen) now and I'm starting to get a bit sad - this has been quite the journey and I've really enjoyed the Wheel of Time universe. I believe after the series concludes there's still a prequel book to check out which should be cool, and I found a companion guide to the series which I'll have to get. Still, I'll miss the "gang"...

read 2 books:

the republic - plato (desmond lee translation)

the mom test - rob fitzpatrick

read hooked by nir eyal. really sucked. poorly written, not much substance, took excessive liberties with cited sources

Book 13 is done! I don't think I've read this quickly before. I couldn't put it down. Any opportunity I had for reading - I read! The Last Battle is here, and it's all happening right here, right now (IN THE TACOMA DOMEEEE)

In all seriousness though I have to hand to to Sanderson, he's done an amazing job blending his writing style with Jordan's, it doesn't feel like someone else wrote it at all. Even the elaborate description of clothes and plunging necklines.

At long last, 3+ years later, I arrive at the conclusion. Hard to believe it's already been 13 books. I remember when the final book was released and I saw it in stores - I decided that I was going to start reading the series. A friend of mine tried to get me to read it years ago and I have the first book in paperback. I think at some point I'd like to find hardcovers of each one.

Well, let's end this then. The Last Book is here!!

from bill gates's blog i chose to read this book. i thought it was really good. opened me up to some new ideas. basically it argues that a lot of things perceived as static are actually dynamic and that by measuring either talent or effort we can affect mindsets and therefore performance. it has mostly examples of how groups in fixed vs growth mindsets perform and improve over time for a bunch of different topics like work, iq,sports, relationships, etc

That sounds really interesting. Bill Gates is a pretty rad dude. I check Gates Notes once in awhile, but probably not as often as I should.

I read the genealogy of morals by nietzsche. was mostly interested in the third essay on asceticism. the bottom line is this: man would rather will nothingness than not will. Mostly he was quite harsh on ascetic ideals though still awfully reverent. pretty difficult read too. i think i've had enough philosophy books for a while

the rosie project was pretty funny. it's about a brilliant, autistic professor who learns how to date. if the last book was the slowest read of all time, this might have been the quickest. i think they're making a movie too. it was a little more of a romance book than i expected (what did i really expect after reading the synopsis?) but it was still a pretty fun read. i actually had to finish it at home rather than my usual spot of on the bus because i wanted to see the ending sooner

Ray wrote:i actually had to finish it at home rather than my usual spot of on the bus

Drevin wrote:Image
Is that the dude watching you read books on the bus? If so, don't blame you for reading at home instead...