Books you have read lately?

For pretty much anything else.
Whoops I forgot that book was short, I should've just waited... in any case:

Finished:

WOW! I've enjoyed Dan Slott's writing before but this is top class. Here's a quick introduction (this is covered within the first issue): the gist is that Peter Parker and Dr. Octopus have swapped brains (and thusly bodies). Spidey still looks like Parker on the outside, but inside it's all Doc Ock's mind. I believe Doc Ock died after the mind-swap, and as a result so did Peter (or so we thought). He has access to Parker's memories, although they've started to meld together. Somehow Peter is still 'alive' inside his own mind, and is trying to take back his brain. I know it sounds pretty corny already, but give it a chance. The idea is that Doc Ock thinks he can be a better Spider-Man (hence the title Superior Spider-Man), all the while maintaining his 'hero status'. So no going super villain while being Spidey. It explores a story I initially dismissed, but upon reading it found out it was really compelling! It feels so fresh and breathes some new life into the series. I'll definitely be picking up the rest of it!

As previously mentioned, the art inside is incredible. Every page is a joy to look at. Loved all of it. Apparently Humberto Ramos is coming up as one of the illustrators. Can't wait!

Next up:
Back to Wheel of Time for now!

Finished:

I was warned but I continue to press on. I'd say for 70% of the book barely anything happened, with major events sprinkled in between meandering. Things rack up very quickly in the last few chapters, but by that point you are so hungry for some action anything will satisfy. Don't get me wrong, the writing quality was excellent, just from a plot-advancement perspective this didn't deliver. The pacing in the first few books was perfect, but now things have slowed right down. I've heard book 10 is the last of the slow-burners, then things rack up again. I'll continue reading on, cause at this point I've come too far to skip one book now.

Next up:

Following the WoT trope, the prologue chapter is probably 10% of the book. Very ominous looking cover, if that's who I think it is...

currently reading The Score Takes Care of Itself

finished that ^

read the walter isaacson steve jobs book. very fascinating to me.

finished 1Q84 after starting it more than 2 years ago.

My review is mixed. The story was gripping and the mysteries were fun, but I couldn't shake the inevitability of it all. I found all the characters to be shallow and rational, and the style of writing allowed nothing without first preparing the reader to accept it. Some of the mysteries were really cool though, like the "mother" (or perhaps maza?) theme. Ultimately, I think the tedium is a turn off from Murakami.

cool video if you've read it:

Proust's In Search of Lost Time was mentioned in the story and is apparently a very famous and critically acclaimed set of novels. I might go in that direction after this... but for now, a break.

Reading John Dies at the End for the second time. It's swell.

Been taking a break from the WoT books - currently reading the recently released Murakami book "Wind/Pinball". For those not in the know these were his first published works, although they were never translated until recently.

Impressions so far? Not that there aren't a bunch of his books that I haven't read or finished, but I'm curious.

The writing definitely reveals that it's his first - feels very stream-of-consciousness. I don't know what it is in particular - something I can't quite zone in on - but there's just something about the writing that despite its flaws (or shortcomings, whatever you want to call it)... it just pulls me in.

If you're looking for a Murakami book, I wouldn't suggest this one, there are plenty to check out first.

Phew! It's been a while, but I've got an update for y'all! Believe it or not, it's not just Wheel of Time! Although I did finish...

Wheel of Time: Crossroads of Twilight

So I started this book nearly a year ago now. I've kinda forgotten the majority of the plot points, but from what I remember this book seemed to really drag on. It might have been my interest waning too. If I hadn't already read nine other books in this series I would have likely given up. Near the end though things finally get rolling again and set up the eleventh book very well. I'm already well into the prologue chapter of the next book (which by the way is nearly a quarter of the book). As a single book in the series I'd give it a pretty lukewarm rating but as far as events go in the whole series things are really getting good now. The Last Battle is approaching quickly, and strange allegiances are being formed. Sinister plots from Darkfriends are unraveling!

---

Spider-Gwen

Very cool Spider-Man book. Long story short it's a "what if?" scenario where Gwen Stacy (one of Parker's high-scool sweethearts) ends up getting bit by the radioactive spider, and Peter Parker dies trying to recreate the Spider-Woman. Gwen has to battle it out with the local street thugs and villains just like Spidey would, all the while dealing with repercussions of Parker's death (namely everyone thinking she's a menace). On top of that, she's having a falling out with her band. I adored the art here, and I had to grab a few page samples:

The book got really popular thanks to Married with Sea Monsters creating their own take on the song in the comic "Face it Tiger" (which is pretty boss and accurate to how I feel the fictional Mary Janes would sound):

Sounds like Marvel plans to continue this! I'm looking forward to the next book which is supposed to drop later this spring.

---

Akira Volume 1 & 2

I got the first two volumes and the movie for X-Mas. Always wanted to check these out. It's interesting that the manga plays out quite a bit differently than the movie. Also the stuff that happens is pretty weird. I'm usually pretty comfortable around the typical Japanese weirdness, but even here I was kinda like "well that's weird". If you've never heard of Akira I recommend seeing the movie for its technical merits alone - it's an animation masterpiece. The story goes something like this - some scientists got a little carried away and created Akira which is some kind of powerful entity or something that levelled a large part of Japan. Years later they're still trying to figure out a way to control or harness the power of Akira. A street gang ends up mixed up with the military, and gang member Tetsuo ends up becoming a test subject...

The manga is cool because it goes into events the movie only touched upon (or completely skipped), like how Tetsuo (fairly early on volume 1/movie spoiler) ended up becoming the leader of the rival gang. It seems to converge and diverge with the movie frequently, which provides an almost entirely new story. If you're a big fan of Akira movie and never read the manga I'd give it a shot!

---

And now to no-ones surprise, it's onto book eleven!

i read this business book

You apparently have 31 pages of notes - how about some thoughts on the book?

you guys wanna learn about product management? i can expound

i also read:

how to win friends and influence people - dale carnegie

little red book of selling - jeffrey gittomer

business adventures - john brooks

Book eleven done! I like finding out what events the covers are depicting.

Book twelve time!

You might notice Brandon Sanderson under the author credits... unfortunately Robert Jordan passed away before he could finish the series. The final book was split into three because there was just so much of it. I don't think I've read anything that Sanderson wrote yet, but I've heard it's great. Can't wait!

Drevin wrote:I don't think I've read anything that Sanderson wrote yet, but I've heard it's great. Can't wait!
I love Sanderson's Mistborn series, and Elantris was pretty good. I've heard he's done a lot of other good stuff, too.

I'm currently reading

I should probably actually hop on this. I've read the following over the last few months, and enjoyed all 3 thoroughly.