Books you have read lately?

For pretty much anything else.
I guess I can finally update!

Finished:

Started:

It's been probably about a year since I finished the 4th... forgetting the events and some of the characters, but it's slowly coming back!

Finished.

Started. The prologue chapter was like 150 pages. I've heard these books get long but holy...

Reading Thread Slivers.

So far, intriguing. I'll have to pick up the rest of the trilogy, I think.

Whoops forgot my super important update!!!

Finished

Started
The prologue was longer. I have to admit these later books are starting to get a bit dry, although I've been told 7-10 are the weakest in the series, and then 11-13 are back to greatness... so we'll see!

That's some cool artwork, I like the style.

Yeah they got various artists to re-illustrate all of the covers. The Lord of Chaos one was done by Greg Manchess. Here's the original one for comparison:

Finished

Started and finished
I powered through this one. As soon as I picked it up, it was impossible to put down. After having read 1Q84 previously (hefty read, but I really enjoyed it), it was nice change of pace to get back into a 'realistic' style of writing.

As with most Murakami books after finishing it left me pondering about myself, choices, and life in general. Powerful stuff as per usual.

I also decided to listen to Liszt's "Years of Pilgrimmage". Also wonderful. It's been on regular rotation since I started reading.

Next

I guess this is sort of a mini-update. I've heard that books 7, 8 and 9 really start to turn into a slog. They weren't kidding. I'm pushing through but it's hard sometimes. I'm gonna have to space them out with some (non-fantasy) books in-between at this point.

This thread is turning into "Devo Reads The Wheel of Time Series". Anyway Book 8 is complete! I had to take a solid break from it to get through the rest, but eventually it picked up again. I can absolutely see where the criticisms of 7 & 8, and I feel like 9 won't be much better (but still a good book, if only a tad dry in various spots). Here's hoping 10 breaks the trend!

Finished:

Started:

I've started reading Terry Pratchet's Discworld novels. There are some laugh-out-loud moments in there, and despite all the nonsense which occurs in those novels, it all makes sense, lol. I guess what I mean is that even though there are a lot of strange concepts and ideas, they're consistent with everything else in the setting and there's usually a logical reason behind them.

Throw away your expectations about fantasy if you're going to read this; Discworld is in a category of its own.

J-Man wrote:I've started reading Terry Pratchet's Discworld novels. There are some laugh-out-loud moments in there, and despite all the nonsense which occurs in those novels, it all makes sense, lol. I guess what I mean is that even though there are a lot of strange concepts and ideas, they're consistent with everything else in the setting and there's usually a logical reason behind them.

Throw away your expectations about fantasy if you're going to read this; Discworld is in a category of its own.
+1

I got a ton of books over Christmas, so I've put WoT on the backburner as I ... burn ... through some of these other books:

Venom: Dark Origin
Does what it says on the tin. Not bad, fairly short. It's a reimagining of Venom's origins, but darker. I'm not sure if I'd really consider it that dark, more like bringing things in-line with modern-day expectations. Takes place after Spider-man rids of himself of the alien symbiote.

Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation
Fantastic read. Highly recommend, A++++, etc. Felt like I was reading a "Bill Nye: The Science Guy" episode, but aimed at adults. I'm no stranger to the concepts in the book, albeit beforehand my knowledge was very general at best. The book covers a wide range of topics (like evolution as the title suggest) and was very intriguing, even for me (a guy that already believes in evolution 100%). If there is anyone here that believes in creationism, please give this a read. It might just change your viewpoint on things.

Try reading it while imagining Bill Nye himself saying the words of the book.

Currently working on:

I'm very gradually reading The Hobbit.

Finished:

Guardians of the Galaxy
For those of you interested in reading comic containing the events the movie was based on... this is not the one. This comic follows the events after the movie (or rather, the comics that the movie was based on). I personally don't like reading a series before the first issue/volume, but it does a decent job of introducing you to the cast and catching you up. They do reference events from prior to this comic, but tend to largely gloss over them and assume the reader is familiar with them. It left me a bit confused and I wanted to know more. It kinda falls apart near the end where they start introducing characters and villains only the long-time readers would know (I consider myself a decently avid reader and I had no idea who these guys were), and as such it kinda lost its impact on me. At one point someone new shows up, and immediately leaves by the end of the chapter.

Fans of the movie may find something here to enjoy, but I could only really recommend it to the comic fans.

Next up:

Finished:

As you might have guessed, this one is all about Venom! This goes back to the 80s for a collection on the origin and beginnings of Venom. Not bad, I enjoyed the majority of it. The comics collected are definitely an indication of their time, comparatively speaking. Some of the writing feels pretty cornball at times (although I think that was the nature of the medium at the time). It suffers from a lot of:

1) Spidey says "If I can just do <x>..."
2) <x> happens
3) Spidey says "I did it! I did <x>!!"

It gets really redundant fast and feels pretty trite. Thankfully it tapers off after the first few issues. Again, this is all comparatively speaking with regard to stuff available today. The last set of issues were illustrated by none other than Todd McFarlane and looks incredibly stylish. I wasn't a big fan of the style at first, but it actually suits Venom really well. I absolutely loved Ron Frenz work in the first few, very detailed and fits the universe well.

Overall I'd say anyone looking to read up on the classic origin (rather than a retelling) story of Venom should pick this one up.

Next up:
I've already read the first two issues and I LOVE Ryan Stegman's illustrations. Look at that cover art for a sample!