Gaming Goals for 2016

For the rest of the gaming world.
Still working on Persona 4. Monster of a game, tons of content. It's been really fun, although I needed a break so I finished Shovel Knight!

Awesome game, totally a passion project for platform lovers like myself. Reminds me of games I'd play years ago but made with today's sensibilities (so no cheap tricks or long slogs of no checkpoints, heh). Every level stood on its own. The game length felt just right to me (about 8 hours), not too long but there's enough there to keep you interested. A lot of the Relics reminded me something you'd find in a Castlevania game (think the spinning cross, or the bone that arcs as you throw it).

Anyone who enjoys an action platformer should check out this game without a doubt. Plus Yacht Club Games are continuing to update the game - so far they've added the Plague Knight campaign which is really cool! It's a redo of the Shovel Knight base game, although with plenty of twists. Plague Knight himself plays completely differently from Shovel Knight - and to top it off the levels have been changed up to suit Plague Knight's new style. With a new story on top, it's almost like a new game - and it was totally free! Future updates will be free too!

Shoutout to AC once again for the ace gift!

No probs, it's so cool they are putting out the updates for free. I had no idea when I bought that for you, I was like 'I guess if he likes it enough, he might buy the Plague Knight stuff' but that's really cool to see developers do that for the fans.

Finished Tomb Raider! Great game. I feel like it did start to get a bit repetitive at times, but only near the end. Lara sure went through some shit, I felt bad sometimes haha. The optional tombs were really cool - one-off tricky puzzles. They were pretty short though, I think every one was just one puzzle (although I didn't find/explore them all). Something I didn't like very much was the penchant for QTEs - I hate those things. I played it on a PC and the button prompts had an icon instead of the actual button to press (if you play on console, it'll show which button to press). A minor annoyance which lead to some fails - which by the way are excruciatingly brutal sometimes! There's quite a bit of button mashing and it feels weird on a keyboard. All in all though, great game, and definitely planning on getting the next one. Probably on PS4 though.

Aw yeah I gotta play that, I've seen most of the cinematics, I watched them like a movie on youtube. I was so glad they resurrected that future from the dead; it was such a laughable mess in the naughts and with the awful Angelina Serpeant movies. Yeah I'll be getting the next one and I haven't played this one yet!

@AC Dasher
Have you fired up Black Flag yet?! Still one of my favorite Assassin's Creed's.

So, this wasn't on my list for this year. But there's one particular game I had yet to finish for quite some time. Quite. Some. Time.

September 7, 2010
link470 wrote:I'm way behind and still working on Gold and Sapphire...
March 14, 2011
link470 wrote:Just about done the 2nd gym in Pokemon Sapphire...that's the most recent right?
April 11, 2012
link470 wrote:Welcome Krissy! Good to hear you have some newer Pokemon games. I'm still rocking Sapphire, I need to beat that. Then again, I don't think I've fired it up in 3 years.
October 8, 2012
link470 wrote:I have yet to finish Sapphire XD...and haven't started Pearl.
January 8, 2013
link470 wrote:Nope, still haven't finished Sapphire.
October 13, 2013
link470 wrote:
J-Man wrote:So, uh, Gen VI is pretty cool so far.
Ya no totally, I mean I'm still working on Sapphire myself...
May 12, 2014
link470 wrote:I'm kind of curious how different it'll be than the original Ruby and Sapphire. I played Sapphire [in fact...it's still unfinished in my DS as we speak]...
February 27, 2016
link470 wrote:
Drevin wrote:Who's ready for Gen 7?
*looks at Pokemon Sapphire in his DS GBA slot on his night table*

Oh ya!.........totally!.....
I've finally...FINALLY...finished Pokemon Sapphire! Nono, not Alpha Sapphire. SAPPHIRE. FOR GBA. That includes all 3 Regi legendaries, Latias, Rayquaza, and Kyogre. Not a full Pokedex, but hey, at least all the legendaries. Finished the Elite Four a few times now.

I noticed that my save file from when I started it in 2004 was only 4 gyms in, and since I wouldn't have remembered anything about the story, I restarted to get a fresh start. Actually, since the battery had also run dry (thank God it doesn't effect saves on gen 3 and up, not that it mattered in this instance), I ebay'd a battery and soldered a new one in. It wasn't necessary to play the game, but it allowed for the time based events to work, so I figured it'd be a good idea to get the full experience for $3 bucks for the battery.

But ya, finally done! On to Pearl!

Hah, it's for moments like these I'm glad we have a forum that keeps a time capsule of sorts. Over 12 years in the making but we got there!

Drevin wrote:Hah, it's for moments like these I'm glad we have a forum that keeps a time capsule of sorts.
No kidding! I love it for that same reason.
Drevin wrote:Over 12 years in the making
Ya, I got Sapphire on a family vacation to go visit my cousins in the summer of 2004. We flew out and we were there for a week visiting different surrounding small towns, and when I was out there, my mom knew I wasn't a huge fan of being away from home and wanted to get me something to keep me entertained. I had brought my Gameboy Advance, and if I remember right, was working on Zelda: A Link To The Past, the cartridge that comes with Four Swords (that's the only version of LTTP I own). But my mom also bought me Pokemon Sapphire at a local Walmart while we were out there so I had something else to play. I think I started it on that trip, and never finished it until now.

I'm making my way through Pokemon Picross, Picross 3D Stage 2, Majora's Mask 3D, and Metal Gear Solid 4.

MGS4 nice! How far are you?

Drevin wrote:MGS4 nice! How far are you?
The Middle East. I suck. Every time I come out of cover, someone else sees me.

Warp2063 wrote:
If you have to, you can totally play the game like a 3rd-person cover shooter. Obviously the better plan is just to sneak though...

If I remember right in the first part there are two factions - once you take out enough of the PMC troops the rebels will be okay with you and won't fire at you.

Drevin wrote:
Warp2063 wrote:
If you have to, you can totally play the game like a 3rd-person cover shooter. Obviously the better plan is just to sneak though...

If I remember right in the first part there are two factions - once you take out enough of the PMC troops the rebels will be okay with you and won't fire at you.
I have no idea who is who. I'm guessing the PMCs are the ones in the tac vests, and the others are the rebels? The others always see me before I see them. Very frustrating.

The first time I tried to play through, I got so frustrated that I found their spawn point and kept murdering them over and over again as they appeared. After a while I heard Liquid's voice: "It's because you *LIKE* the killing, isn't it?"
... I decided it was a good time to leave the area.

Yup, the vesties are PMCs. You dont have to kill them - I believe tranqs or CQC takedowns accomplish the same effect in regards to faction alignment.

1 more month left in 2016! How's everyone doing on their goals list? AC, have you played a bit of Black Flag yet?! I can't wait to hear what you think on that one, I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere was really cool in that game.

I finished Pokemon Pearl, which also wasn't on my goals list, but it was my only DS game I hadn't played. So I'm glad that's done too!