Gaming Goals for 2016

For the rest of the gaming world.
Alright everyone, we're here. It's 2016! I know in 2015, I for one was actually pleasantly surprised that I managed to pull off finishing everything that was on my list for the year. It was a fun goal to look forward to, and at the same time gave me an excuse to relax and get away from the rest of the things in life keeping me busy. Some of your goals last year were even just to play some of the games on your list, which is great. I hope some of you had a chance to do that, which I think a few of you did!

This year, I've got a few in mind so far that I'd like to finish. But I may add to this over the next few days.

Games I'd like to finish by the end of 2016:

PC
StarCraft II: Legacy Of The Void (Campaign) [Completed May 2016]
Diablo 3 (with Reaper of Souls expansion) (Story) [Completed January 2016]
Unreal Tournament 3: Black Edition (Campaign) [Completed April 2016]
Half-Life 2 [Completed April 2016]
Myst [Completed August 2016]

3DS
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (Story) [Completed March 2016]

Xbox One
Assassin's Creed: Syndicate [100% Synchronization] [Completed December 2016]

Thanks to my 2015 progress, this years list is a lot smaller! I've got quite a few RPGs to tackle though (and quite a few games coming out in 2016), so this'll still take me most of the year I'll bet.

Wii U
Shovel Knight added 12/24/15, beaten 08/22/16

Playstation 4
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag added 12/25/15, beaten 12/31/16

Vita
Persona 3 Portable added 10/25/15, beaten 03/06/16
Persona 4 Golden added 12/25/15, beaten 08/30/16, replay finished 11/03/16

PC
Undertale (100%) added 12/24/15, beaten 12/30/15, completed 01/03/16
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void added 11/10/15, beaten 12/20/16
Tomb Raider (2013) added 09/30/15, beaten 08/24/16
Dishonored started 11/03/16, beaten 11/11/16

Newcomers

PS3
• Persona 4 Arena Ultimax added 09/16/2016

3DS
• Shin Megami Tensei IV added 05/07/2016

Lets see, a bit ambitious but:

PC
• XCOM 2
• Fallout 4
• Life is Strange - [Gift]

3DS
•The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

Hey Xc! Haven't seen you in a while, good to see you!

As for my goals:

Wii U
- Xenoblade Chronicles X - beat, probably not going or 100%

3DS
- Triforce Heroes - 100% before DLC, I'm so close it hurts
- Ace Attorney Trilogy - beat, I haven't bought it yet but I know I want to play it

PC
- Child of Light - Beat, haven't played it yet
- Freedom Planet - Beat
- Just Cause 3 - 100% in liberating the land and getting all of the upgrades
- Rocket League - Play
- Undertale - Play, may not beat but I already bought it and I wanna see what the hype is about
- Neptunia - Play, for shits and giggles I bought this too, might as well try it out

It's a more PC heavy list since I bought a PC and not a whole lot of 100% runs just yet but I know there's a few games I want to do 100%. I do a lot of Splatoon and Smash lately so I'll have to find time to do that.

Afrohawk52 wrote:Hey Xc! Haven't seen you in a while, good to see you!
You too buddy :)

Alright, finished the Diablo 3 campaign! I gotta hand it to Blizzard once again; if there's one thing they're really insanely good at, it's adding a ton of value and content to their games. The replay value is extremely good in Blizzard games. You really get your moneys worth out of them, and Diablo 3 is no exception. The campaign is just the iceberg and story line, but there's a ton of co-op play, extra missions (events), crafting and upgrades for characters, entirely different classes of characters to play, Adventure Mode (which I haven't even played yet), and a ton of achievements and things to unlock. Each Blizzard game really gives you hours and hours and hours of game play.

Can't wait to keep playing this one for a bit!

XC, How is Life is Strange? I've watched like an hour's worth or more on youtube. Trying to decide if I should get it as I don't usually do adventure titles

Wii U
beat Yoshi's Wooly World

PS4
play all the Uncharteds
play Assassin's Creed Black Flag
buy (sorry, but yeah just got it) Rocket League, The Witness, Tomb Raider, GTA, lots more

PC
get and try Undertale

virtual console/e shoppe, etc
beat Metroid Prime
buy Earthbound

AC Dasher wrote:play Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this once you start playing. Hopefully you'll want to go back and start from AC1 after!

Finished Persona 3 Portable. My completion time was somewhere around 72 hours. It's hard to talk about such a story-dense game without spoiling too much - but what I will say about the story is that it's probably one of the best I've ever experienced. The game is likely not for everyone... the playtime alone might turn some people off. I think of it more like a large book - it'll take you a while to get through - but the major plot points keep you engrossed. You get attached to the characters - because of the game length. By the end of the game they are all close friends.

Games for me don't typically get much of an emotional response out of me... I can probably count the number of times. There were moments of pretty genuine sadness (yeah yeah I teared up), and I even remember getting angry/upset at a particular story development. Any game that can accomplish that I hold in a high regard, and this is one of them.

Most of the major characters have Social Links - think lite dating-sim kinda system. This is where some of the character development takes place. As you increase your Social Links you increase the strength of that Arcana during fusions. It creates a gameplay purpose to explore the Social Links, but I genuinely wanted to explore them regardless of the gameplay purpose.

The battle system is not without its shortcomings - it feels a little unforgiving - JRPG to the very core. I still think it's goofy that if the main character is KO'd, the game ends (and there are no checkpoints). Saving often is a must. There were also a few sharp difficulty curves... I suspect my level was too low at that point, but there it is. It's kinda like Pokemon, Shadows have certain weaknesses and resistances (think fire, ice, electricity, etc), and it's up to you to abuse that. Hitting an enemy with an attack they are weak to gives that character another turn - but only if the target isn't already Down (which triggers when they are hit by an attack they are weak to), so you can't get stuck in a loop of free turns. The fun part is that the enemy has access to the same system, so if you're not careful you can get wiped out very quickly.

I can't end it without mentioning the music. Second to the story, it's top-notch, definitely some of the best I've heard in any game full stop. I have a feeling the music in a vacuum won't have the same impact as when its heard in-game. Regardless, here are a few favourites:

If you're looking for an RPG with a top-notch story, this is the one. If you're looking for one with compelling gameplay... keep looking I'd say.

I can't wait to start Persona 4 Golden, but I think I'm going to give myself a break from RPGs for a while. Next up is Shovel Knight!

I started up Tri Force Heroes last night. I have a feeling, from what I'm reading online, that I'm going to need to do a lot of these challenges with other actual players. But I'm not far enough to be able to tell yet. I'm only basing this off what I've read online about single player difficulty.

How's everyone doing so far? I started playing Shovel Knight but couldn't pull myself away from the Persona universe, so I started Persona 4 up instead.

Finished Tri Force Heroes (single player, all 32 levels), but not all challenges. I've done all of the challenges in World 1 cause I got lucky and went online and had a really good group of 2 other guys and we just plowed through them. But getting through just about anything else with people online has been quite challenging. It's a fun game, but one where progress can be entirely dependent on the other 2.

I moved onto Half Life 2, and loved that, so I played Lost Coast, HL2 Episode One, and now playing HL2 Episode Two, after which I'll have done all the Half Life 2 games. They're fun!

They are good. Maybe because you played them late you won't have to wait so long for the next one.

That's what I told myself years ago.

Monkey wrote:They are good. Maybe because you played them late you won't have to wait so long for the next one.

lol I know. I haven't gotten to the end of HL2 EP2 yet, but when I do, I'll be one of those guys waiting for HL3 I'm sure!

link470 wrote:
Monkey wrote:Maybe because you played them late you won't have to wait so long for the next one.

lol I know. I haven't gotten to the end of HL2 EP2 yet, but when I do, I'll be one of those guys waiting for HL3 I'm sure!
Yep. Half Life 2 Episode 2 ending definitely leaves you wanting to know what's next.

I also went and played Half Life 1 Opposing Force and Blue Shift while I was at it. So Half Life is now done! Finished those a couple months ago.

I also completed Myst. That was a fun game. I went through that with Devo since I wasn't sure how I was going to do figuring out the puzzles on my own. But it ended up being a lot of fun even though it's a game that's almost 25 years old.

How's everyone else doing on their goals list?