Final Fantast 7 Remake

For the rest of the gaming world.
This was announced way back in E3, but now we get a taste of some real gameplay:

The trailer makes the combat look more real-time vs. turn-based, wonder how that'll stack up with the diehards? I still haven't played the original game. Guess I'll start with the remake!

I still haven't played ANY Final Fantasy games! But the problem with that is...I know I'd want to start with 1, and then go through the other 734 games.

The only FF game I played through to completion was FF3 for the DS - and that was pretty fun (it was my first taste of the job system - other games have pulled it off better since its creation). I played FF13 a bit but never got very far. Despite the flak that game got (or I think it did?), I should go back and finish it.

Ya know, I am interested in playing this as I have good memories of this game. I still own my PS1 copy and my friend Tristan (don't even, Devo!..) and I played through a couple discs (that seems weird to say) of the game on a week long trip to Hornby Island. The only other ones I owned were Tactics which I was inept at but intrigued by at that age and thirteen, which I think was critically received but it wasn't the game that my friend David hyped it up to be, his opinion being the only reason I bought the game; that and, those years I always had money to burn. Oh yeah and 12 which really became a joke and I hated the experiment failed battle system. I borrowed 3 from Devin but never really played it, I watched the movie that had to do with seven and the movie that had nothing to do with any Final Fantasy at all, I played 10 at a friends' house in the summer when they were off on sailing lessons. And I played about a couple hours each of 8 (and got nowhere) and 9 (which seemed like the funnest FF). So yeah all in all, scattered experience with the franchise. I always thought I'd like the games more than I did, in fact (FUN FACT) I was registered on the Final Fantasy Shrine message boards but didn't post too much... I actually still get birthday wishes from them (automated, of course) even eleven some odd years later.

So this might become episodic? It's a might, but the official word is that it's going to be a multi-part series. Now the other game was in multiple discs so a multi-part series could just mean multiple discs but they could be releasing them one at a time to meet deadlines, get more people the game, and GET THAT MONAAAAY

If it's the latter I'm going to laugh so hard.

Very curious decision, don't see it going down well unless they've got a very good reason. Although isn't the whole FF7 story over a few games? Crisis Core or something?

I just noticed I no longer have FF13, must have sold it a few years ago. Oh well!

Drevin wrote:Very curious decision, don't see it going down well unless they've got a very good reason. Although isn't the whole FF7 story over a few games? Crisis Core or something?

I just noticed I no longer have FF13, must have sold it a few years ago. Oh well!
WHEE! A SLIDEY SLIDE!

Also: that's a shame.

Final Fantasy is one of the few Final Fantasy games that I've beaten, and probably the third or fourth to hit that status (FF9, FF: Crystal Chronicles, FFCC: Ring of Fates, FF7). It took me about seven years to beat FF7 from when I first started it to finally beating it shortly before Advent Children came out in the US.

FF7 didn't let you pick jobs that effectively, or so I felt. Your characters were who they were, although you could adjust things somewhat by equipping different equipment and materia to each of them.

Message from Yoshinori Kitase
One thing that we wanted to be clear about during this weekend to accompany the new trailer was the scale of this project. We wanted to tell you this now and not in the future so that you’d share our vision for what we want to deliver. The biggest reason why we haven’t done a remake until now is because it’s a massive undertaking to reconstruct FINAL FANTASY VII from the ground up with the current technology. Producing a proper HD remake of FINAL FANTASY VII that maintains the same feeling of density of the original would result in a volume of content that couldn’t possibly fit into one instalment.

We’ve seen everyone’s comments and reactions to the news that FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be a multi-part series and many have speculated correctly as to the reason why we have made this decision. If we were to try to fit everything from the original into one remake instalment, we would have to cut various parts and create a condensed version of FINAL FANTASY VII. We knew none of you would have wanted that.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but we'll see how things go when they start talking about price points and how many chapters/parts they plan on releasing.