Your Worst Gaming Purchases

For the rest of the gaming world.
I'm sure each and every one of us at some point has bought the newest console or game and got sucked into the hype... only to find out it totally sucks. What have you guys bought that turned out to be terrible?

I've got two that come to mind:

Guitar Hero 2 - This was back in I want to say like 08-09. I'm not sure how or even why this started, but one day on a whim AC and I decided to head on down to the local EB Games and buy ourselves the two GH games (there were only two at the time) plus the plastic instruments. That came out to roughly $80-100 bucks each, and AC had to buy some cheapo 3rd-party wireless guitar. We got home and the damn controller didn't even work... should have been a red flag that this wasn't meant to be. So back to town to exchange it. The employee at the time gave us some serious attitude, assuming that we must be dummies that don't know how to work a controller. Finally we convinced him to just try it and lo and behold it still didn't work. Thankfully they had another one in the back that worked, so off we went on our merry way.

We played into the night really having a blast for the first night. The following day, we both picked up the guitars and kinda just shrugged. The magic was already gone. We pawned off the goods the next week if I remember right. To this date I haven't played a single GH game since. I 'played' Rock Band at a party once (although it hardly counts as I was... well, not sober at all). What a waste of time and money.

Playstation 4 - This is much more recent. I bought this thing exclusively for MGS under the assumption that between the purchase date and release date of MGS there would be some solid games to play. Here I am more than a year later and I still haven't bought a single additional PS4 game. MGS is coming out this September, but it's coming out for PC too so I'll just get it for that. I almost got Destiny but decided to hold off and wait for what people were saying. I played the Alpha and it was alright, but it didn't really improve up to release. The free PS+ games are alright, but usually available on other systems. Also my subscription ran out, so now I can't even play 'em!

So here I am now with what boils down to a $400 blu-ray player. Which is stupid because I already had a PS3 to do that. The upcoming Uncharted game might be good, but besides that there hasn't been a single game to really get me hooked.

sims 2 bustin out for gcn

idk why i bought it. so terrible. not much to say

I bought an eReader and only ever used it with the one card that came with Ruby (just let you battle a trainer, IIRC), the Donkey Kong Jr. cards it came with (let you play the NES version of DK Jr.) and the Machop card it came with (just a minigame). At least Ruby also came with a coupon for $10 off.

I kind of feel the same for GH2 and didn't have it long. I always felt guilty playing it because I could be learning the songs for real.

I regret asking for the Bionicle GBA game for Christmas when I was a kid. My Dad always picked good games, so I should have just let him continue that.

I also regret spending all my money to rent Pac-Man adventures when I was 6 years old. I couldn't figure out what to do and the ghosts in the trash cans were scary.

I've made a lot of questionable purchases over the years and regretted them (and in some cases, sold them and then regretted doing that, too.)

Pansaonic 3DO FZ-1 - I heard neat things about it. I was intrigued by the VCD and Photo CD possibilities. I liked the idea of having the system OS on the game discs. I thought about trying to do some development for it, play some of the games people talked about. Nope. Tried it a couple of times, didn't derive any enjoyment from it. Sold it and all the games.

Panasonic 3DO FZ-10 - Bought it, too. Newer model! Slimmer! Better features! Sucked just as much. Sold it at the same time I sold the FZ-1.

Sega Game Gear - This had the potential to be cool... but in practice, the cheap used system I bought didn't work very well. I invested time and money into repairing it myself, but the repairs didn't last. It just makes more sense at this point to play anything I want to try emulated. There's no reason to play on a gigantic system with a tiny screen with terrible battery life, especially one that you can barely hear the sound on. I'd have tried to sell it, but due to my personal repair work, I don't feel good about doing so.

My Third Sega Saturn - This was a stupid mistake. I bid on two Saturns on eBay simultaneously, figuring someone would outbid me on at least one, but I accidentally won both. I don't regret this too much, though. It enabled me to tinker with one while having another good one to play on.

Steel Battalion - Awesome concept, awesome controller. Unfortunately, too punishingly difficult for me. On top of that, the small viewable area and the short draw distance on the original Xbox were disappointing. The large controller also posed a constant storage issue. I, with some regret, decided that it was for the best to sell it. I had a miserable experience with the buyer, which made things worse. It wasn't until a few years later at PAX East when I discovered that multiplayer Steel Battalion was a thing and got to try it that I truly regretted the sale... but I wasn't about to try to reacquire it.

Playstation Vita - This is a really recent one. I used part of my tax refund semi-impulse splurging on a Japanese White/blue one just a few weeks ago with the intent to develop for it and to play Minecraft with someone else. I scooped up a few other games for it too, but... nothing's truly captured my interest. It could still prove itself in the future, when I have more time to play the games I got or can afford to pick up a few more desirables, but in the meantime... I'd rather have the $300+ than the system and games. That money could have really helped out in the next few months as I move cross-country. Right now, it's getting most of its use as a glorified, team-based alarm clock.

There's been at least some regret for almost each and every one of my game systems - and plenty, PLENTY of games. I couldn't begin to list all of those. Working at a video game store for so many years, I was surrounded by one of my kryptonites, and suddenly had the cash to afford my desires on the slimmest of whims. So there are many games I've purchased that I've never played, or played once and then never played again. I've bought into plenty of hype, and regretted it at least some of the time.

@Drevin: I *adored* Guitar Hero 2. Until I was able to get Rock Band and Rock Band 2, it was the coolest thing ever.

Guitar Hero - Well D covered this one, gladly. Yeah I think maybe we did pawn off the games the very next week though I had the guitar in my parents' basement until just a few years ago after I'd moved out and I was looking through stuff I didn't take with me and then just gave it to goodwill. I really had some fine Guitar Hero 3/Rock Band(s) experiences and many parties and that, usually with loads of drinking involved, but that was the only fun of the series. Plus those older Guitar Hero games annoy the frickin' crap out of me as some songs are just soundalikes to what the original tracks are. I remember in particular the Helmet and Incubus songs were just "soundalike" singers who did the worst jobs imaginable, especially the guy trying to sound like Brandon Boyd; he was all nasally and shit.

Star Fox Command - Day one purchase, biggest regret out of all the DS games. Was so hyped for this game, thinking it would be a blend of Advance Wars and Star Fox 64 but the thing just played like ass, the drawing the course was fun for all two times and then rendered stupid and the flying was so flawed. I still to this day hate the touch screen controls on DS mostly because of Star Fox Crapmand.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii version) - Now don't get me wrong I really like Twilight Princess. More than most cats, probably. But when Devin and I rolled down to get a Wii on launch day and came up trumps with loads of diddly squat I just decided to purchase a copy of this game for Wii so it didn't look like I was goin' home and empty handed suckah. Then I bought the GCN version (which if I recall didn't come out or wasn't available until a few weeks later because Nintendy was trying to sell as many Wii copies as possible or some shit) and played that to the end, then got a Wii finally, tried to play TP on it and quit after a couple hours selling the game years later for peanuts after finding it and old trunk. I hated the controls and the fact everything was flipped annoyed my memory.

Devin I'm surprised Four Swords didn't make the list? Also sell me your PS4

Speaking of Four Swords, I finally sold my copy of Four Swords Adventures just last week. I realized that I will never, ever find three people to play with that won't devolve into picking each other up and throwing each other into pits.I may be at fault.

Monkey wrote:Speaking of Four Swords, I finally sold my copy of Four Swords Adventures just last week. I realized that I will never, ever find three people to play with that won't devolve into picking each other up and throwing each other into pits.I may be at fault.
I don't think you are haha, every time I play New Super Mario Bros games with just two of us we get in the same headspace and want to get to the goal/get the coins and shit, but when it's four it's just a shit show. Fun for a couple levels and then it's like 'augggh you guys are assholes and maybe I am too'

Warp2063 wrote:Playstation Vita - This is a really recent one. I used part of my tax refund semi-impulse splurging on a Japanese White/blue one just a few weeks ago with the intent to develop for it and to play Minecraft with someone else. I scooped up a few other games for it too, but... nothing's truly captured my interest. It could still prove itself in the future, when I have more time to play the games I got or can afford to pick up a few more desirables, but in the meantime... I'd rather have the $300+ than the system and games. That money could have really helped out in the next few months as I move cross-country. Right now, it's getting most of its use as a glorified, team-based alarm clock.
I've found that unless you adore games straight from Japan, you're gonna have a bad time. I love the Danganronpa series (and the next one is due this fall), but besides the Japanese style game, MGS ports, Muramasa, and Persona (if I ever get around to buying it), there's not much going for this thing.
AC Dasher wrote:Devin I'm surprised Four Swords didn't make the list? Also sell me your PS4
Haha there are always holes in my memory, sometimes I try and forget them on purpose. Yes that one was particularly bad..

I remember seeing it in the store having known absolutely nothing about it. The back of the box looked promising... 4 player Zelda? Sounds pretty sweet! I plunked the 70 bones on it (stupid Canadian pricing) and rushed home to play it. After roughly 4 hours I was staring blankly at my screen thinking "that's it?!" I pawned that stupid game off within a few days. Didn't even bother trying to get people to play that turd. Also I realized to do the cool stuff you needed GBAs and link cables for all of of the players! Dumb.

RE PS4: Despite what I said I'll probably hang onto it, in the small hope that there will be 'that game' for me.
AC Dasher wrote:The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii version) - Now don't get me wrong I really like Twilight Princess. More than most cats, probably. But when Devin and I rolled down to get a Wii on launch day and came up trumps with loads of diddly squat I just decided to purchase a copy of this game for Wii so it didn't look like I was goin' home and empty handed suckah. Then I bought the GCN version (which if I recall didn't come out or wasn't available until a few weeks later because Nintendy was trying to sell as many Wii copies as possible or some shit) and played that to the end, then got a Wii finally, tried to play TP on it and quit after a couple hours selling the game years later for peanuts after finding it and old trunk. I hated the controls and the fact everything was flipped annoyed my memory.
Ugh... that day was such a crapshoot. I figure our small-ass town wouldn't even know what the hell a Wii was... suddenly half the town shows up to all the local malls and electronic stores! The hell?!

Yeah the TP Wii version is definitely the inferior one. I remember heading over to a friends house after beating the Wii version and playing the GCN version. I noticed everything looked backwards, until he pointed out that actually the Wii one was backwards. Thankfully I didn't really clue in while playing The Wii one.

War Z aka Infestation Survivor Stories

Terrible purchase. They come out with these bold claims of taking Day Z to the next level, claim they aren't ripping off the name, and just blatantly lie and overpromise on everything. Their tale of duplicity got pretty popular after their incident with Steam, but that was only a glimpse into how little aptitude the developers had. I think I've probably ranted about this before, but they just sucked -- on a personal level as well as professional. The forums were a shitshow and the game wasn't much better.

Of course, there were times when the game worked as intended and it was fucking epic and fun.

I personally had a blast playing Four Swords Adventures, but we had all the link cables and GBAs due to having a large family and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. Also, we tend to play relatively cooperatively.

I do like games from Japan - I just have less time and patience than I used to, and far from an unlimited budget. I figure my Vita will be much like my PSP was - played in spurts as I find games I like.

Four Swords was super fun. I played with 2-4 people and it was really entertaining... but so damn short. I thought that once they had the engine and everything they'd make a content-heavy sequel but noooo.

Battalion Wars (GCN) - This game was a bad judgement on my part. The press was much more skeptical than me of this game; A. the fact it was made by different publishers and B. the new look/aesthetic. But I was just all 'la-dee-da' Advance Wars on the GameCube? Hell yeah! And I actually liked the art style at the time; described as lifeless, bland and much worse than the GBA series by publications, I liked the infantry and the squaty looking tanks, but man this game was a chore to play and the environments were boring, muddy and lifeless. Maybe excusable on the N64 but even Ocarina of Time made muddy-textured environments seem magical. Not here, no buddy, though this is different kind of game but man it was as dull as the life of a stockbroker; so dull and boring and DESPERATELY DULL!

Reminds me of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. I wouldn't categorize it as a regrettable purchase but they tried really hard to make the game gritty and serious, and it kind of made the whole aesthetic pretty bland. I have to admit the whole concept of war in the previous games was pretty ridiculous (see this comic), but I think it came out for the worse. War is hell, I guess.

The game itself was still solid and ended up shining through the boring graphics.