Gaming Goals for 2015

For the rest of the gaming world.
So, with Drevin bringing to light what we've accomplished gaming wise for 2014, I think we need a goals place for 2015. Whether we've been putting off some games for awhile, we have far too many unplayed or unfinished games and need to finish some to justify having them, or we just need to give ourselves a break and get a balance from the rest of the craziness of life [school, work, crazy significant others and roommates], let's make a list of games we'd like to finish in 2015! This will also help us stay accountable and check off our list as we go.

Games I'd like to finish by the end of 2015:

PC
Half Life 1 [Completed May 2015]

GBA
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap [Completed May 2015]

3DS
Mario Kart 7 [All gold trophies in Grand Prix, all CC classes] [Completed April 2015]
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon [Completed April 2015]
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds [Completed June 2015]

Wii U
Mario Kart 8 [All gold trophies in Grand Prix, all CC classes] [Completed May 2015]
Hyrule Warriors [completed Legend mode with all items obtained on each scenario, and Adventure mode with all items obtained on each scenario] [Completed April 2015]

Xbox 360
Assassin's Creed: Rogue [100% Synchronization] [Completed August 2015]

Xbox One
Assassin's Creed: Unity [100% Synchronization] [Completed December 2015]

I'll keep this post updated as I go along.

Bold - Now Playing

Wii U
The Wonderful 101 (beaten 05/15/15)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (beaten 04/21/15)

3DS
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (beaten 04/18/15)
Bravely Default (beaten 08/20/15)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (beaten 08/27/15)
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (beaten 04/26/15)

Vita
Muramasa Rebirth

PC
Transistor (beaten 08/24/15)
Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea (beaten 01/03/15)

If I can get all of these done before the end of 2015, I'd like to return to my Wii backlog, which has a few remaining as well.

Newcomers
Games I've purchased or received in 2015, but not necessarily part of the 2015 goals

Wii U
Hyrule Warriors (added 05/08/15, beaten 05/18/15)
Bayonetta 2 (added 05/09/15, beaten 12/12/15)
Splatoon (added 05/29/15, beaten 08/10/15)

3DS
Majora's Mask 3D (added 02/13/15, completed 03/01/15)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (added 04/12/15, beaten 12/06/15)

Vita
Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (added 09/01/15, beaten 10/24/15)
+ Persona 3: Portable (added 10/25/15)

PC
Metal Gear Solid 5 (added 09/01/15, beaten 09/21/15)
+ Tomb Raider (2013) (added 09/30/15)
+ StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void (added 11/12/15)
Fallout 4 (added 11/10/15, beaten 12/02/15)

I will gladly contribute to this. I'll get to 2014 sometime later.

Wii U
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (just started Toadette section)
  • Bayonetta 2 (finished Normal, halfway through hard. Aiming for Infinite Climax and the final Witch Trial)
  • Smash U (all challenges, very close)
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (finished normal, was about halfway through Hard with Dixie)
3DS
  • Professor Layton and the Last Spectre (DS) (At the very end)
  • Professor Layton and the Miracle Max (haven't started)
  • Phoenix Wright Trilogy (haven't bought yet, will buy soon)
PC
  • Freedom Planet (just bought it, haven't touched it yet)
  • Team Fortress 2 (get another Austrailum weapon, sell for mad dosh)
There are a few other games on my backlog but there are quite a few I don't think I'm ever going to touch again. They were fun while they lasted but I don't have a desire to play them again.

Wii U
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (played this game at Devin's in the summer, was impressed as shit, bought it, never played it til yesterday)
    Super Mario 3D World (work on extras!)
    New Super Mario Bros. U (get all the star coins blah blah blah I haven't even beaten this one yet doe)
3DS
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Virtual Console
  • Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (start this!)
Last edited by AC Dasher on April 18th, 2015, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoping to beat a few games this year:

Super Mario Bros 2
Metal Gear Solid V
Halo 5

The rest I just hope to find time to play

How is the progress everyone? I'm still working on Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, turns out to be a pretty meaty RPG. That's on hold though for Majora's Mask. I think once I finish M&L I'll switch over to the Wii U and get one of those two done... I think W101.

I'm playing Hyrule Warriors a lot, as Drevin knows, and it isn't even on my original list [added it]. Fantastic game. I initially thought I wouldn't pick it up because it wasn't an official Zelda story to my knowledge and seemed like more of a spinoff game; I didn't think it would have much depth and just be a hack and slash. Boy was I wrong. It's a hack and slash alright, but with a LOT of detail and collectables that make the game extremely fun to play.

I've completed Legend Mode on Normal and am going through it again to complete it on Hard so I get the second set of Gold Skulltula's in each stage. Starting to work on Adventure Mode as well.

I had other games I was going to play, like the ones listed above and Diablo II that I really want to get back to and finish, but Hyrule Warriors is one I think I'm just going to plow away at until I've completed most of it and then go back to the others. Totally unplanned playing it this much, but lots of fun.

I've at least been playing some Super Mario 3D World in my shrinking free time; it's now my favourite Mario title since Mario Galaxy 1 and that may not sound impressive, but it is actually because I loved 3D Land and am really enjoying Galaxy 2 now that I'm giving it another shake (ha!).

I played SMB2 a little bit, but it will take some extended sessions to get back into it. It's tough

Majora's Mask 100% complete!

Majora's Mask 3D [completed 03/01/15]
What a wonderful game. I'll say right now if anyone hasn't played this game, you've gotta pick it up right away! One of the most (if not the most) unique Zelda experiences out there. It's worth noting that Nintendo did change things around, most notably some locations of items and the boss fights. This should only bother veterans really (and only the item location part really), but I have to say the boss fights are improved across the board compared to the N64 version. I've heard mentions that the hints in the Bomber's Notebook are too obvious now but I think that's just some oldschool vets (read: stupid fanboys) making a big fuss over nothing. Unless I specifically remembered something from playing it years ago, I feel like it never gave you the whole picture and you had to suss out what to do. Overall it's a fantastic game and a must-buy for any 3DS owner.

You say "right away," but if you've already beaten the game multiple times on the N64 and remember it pretty well, how critical is the 3DS replay?

Don't get me wrong - I do plan to get it. It's just a matter of "do I need it right now" or can I wait until I'm more financially stable first? Also, I have the MH camp coming after me with the "get it right now" chants.

I think the refreshed visuals breathe a bit more life into the game, and having it on-the-go is pretty nice. If you've replayed them recently then I suppose you could wait until you're ready to dive in again.

Finally an update!

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team [ beaten 04/18/2015 ]
Whew what a game that was. I would say the hardest M&L to date. A real full adventure. I clocked in at just under 48 hours total. All told that's a pretty good chunk of time for a portable RPG. The formula remains more or less the same as previous games - very action heavy for an RPG. You have to jump and hammer to defend yourself, while timing your button presses to coordinate with attacks. The twist this time is that you get sucked into the Dream World. The Dream World is affected by Luigi, who will lend you all sorts of cool powers as you progress in the game. This leads to two different types of battles - battles in the normal world, and Dream World battles where it's only Mario (with Luigi supporting).

The writing is spot on here, there were many genuinely laugh-out-loud moments. I've found that every game so far has really expressive animations and sprites. You'll see what I mean when you play it.

Any fan of the series or someone looking for a challenging RPG can't go wrong here.

Next up: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Progress is still slow, gonna be a good summer for gaming though with Mario Kart DLC, getting back into Smash and more DLC for that, Splatoon and all my digital games of late

Hey any progress is good progress man :)