PS4

For the rest of the gaming world.
Warp2063 wrote:
Monkey wrote:
Afrohawk52 wrote:
Warp2063 wrote:although I'm assuming PSN titles you've bought will carry over
That's actually not happening. Sorry.
Do you have a Source on that?
I want to see Afrohawk's source as well.
Here.

Yes I'm serious, I don't know which sites you guys go to so I don't know what you'd classify as credible. So here's a bunch of 'em. Take your pick.
Ray wrote:I think you misunderstood me. I meant in addition to a game console. Most families would prefer to have iPad+360/PS4 than GamePad+WiiU. The power of the tablet is irrelevant, and the same functionality the WiiU GamePad exhibits is possible on any independent tablet.
Yeah I guess that's true. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn't sure what you meant by it before. I will agree about the tablets though, I mean better tablets are certainly coming out and the only thing Nintendo has going for them is their IPs. I wouldn't say they're going stale, mainly because new gamers arise all the time and certainly enjoy those IPs, but I would say that's all they have going for them. Then again, it's more than just a tablet and if they have more exclusives the console will look better. But the tablet support on other consoles could be detrimental to Nintendo assuming people already have tablets because I doubt they'll buy a tablet just to play a game on it. But I digress.
Ray wrote:And RE: Graphics, I wasn't talking about polygons, I was talking about objects and physics. I think you know I wouldn't be here if I thought graphical detail was a top determinant of a game's quality. Way too many times I've heard developers explain why an awesome feature was left out because of hardware limitations. That's actually the reason lots of Nintendo games don't have local multiplayer. I didn't watch the press conference, and I believe you that it was all more of the same. I was just imagining a puzzle game with fully detailed mirrors, an action game with more interactive environmental features, an abstract game with complex chain reactions, an adventure game without loading screens et cetera.
Hmm, you make a good point as well there too. It would be certainly nicer to see better games with more features instead of prettier games with relatively the same features. That's mainly what I was getting at but I see you pretty much agree with that anyway.

Afrohawk52 wrote:
Warp2063 wrote:
Monkey wrote:
Afrohawk52 wrote:
Warp2063 wrote:although I'm assuming PSN titles you've bought will carry over
That's actually not happening. Sorry.
Do you have a Source on that?
I want to see Afrohawk's source as well.
Here.

Yes I'm serious, I don't know which sites you guys go to so I don't know what you'd classify as credible. So here's a bunch of 'em. Take your pick.
Only one of them that I've seen so far directly says "no transfer of PSN downloadables," which to me means you won't be able to download them to the PS4. For most of them, it says something along the lines of "no direct play of PS1-PS3 games. All of them seem to say no transfer of save files - 'twould be dumb, but fine. I've had to restart games on newer systems before. Some of them say "emulation hasn't really been considered yet", which I'm interpreting as "maybe, but don't hold your breath - we don't haven't decided yet so don't count on anything." As far as I can tell, none of the ones I've looked at say "no to streaming games you've already bought."

The fact that they all say slightly different things means that Sony hasn't been clear enough (probably because they themselves don't know all the details yet), and everyone's interpreting things differently. This is my interpretation and guesswork based on what I've heard:

-The hardware will not run PS1-PS3 games natively (this is obvious)
-Emulation for some games (my guess is PS1, maaaaybe PS2, PSP would be a pipe dream) *might* be possible, but don't count on anything yet
-If streaming of some PS3 games is guaranteed, then there's no reason they can't stream PS1 and PS2 games that they've already made available via the PSN on the PS3
-So far, they haven't decided whether you to use your current save files, so the answer is currently no until they say otherwise (although with saves in the cloud, I feel like they shouldn't have a problem allowing for this, as they'll already have saves on their servers... even if they have to link them together somehow, it shouldn't be a big issue)

The biggest limitation is going to be the streaming, methinks - maybe some games just won't stream well, and therefore those won't be available on the PS4.

I guess it's worth mentioning I picked one of these up a few weeks back. Hard as hell to find in Canada for whatever reason, but anyway...

Machine is very sleek. They brought back the touch buttons for the console. The standby light is a bit obnoxious at first but I've gotten used to it.

Controller feels amazing. Probably the best I've used except for maybe GCN. It fits very comfortably in your hand. There is annoying-ass bright light when it's on (something to do with the Move? idk), but apparently an incoming system update will let us turn it off. Everything feels right. The triggers shaped like actual triggers this time was sorely needed.

So far the only game I've bought is Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. Won't go into specifics, but it looks beautiful. 60fps gaming pls

Playstation+ is really cool. Currently they are offering pretty big budget PS3 games for free (atm it's the Tomb Raider relaunch game and Bioshock Infinite). Haven't played any games with online multiplayer yet though. The PS4 offerings are definitely more indie in scale, but still cool nonetheless.

The only other game I'm really looking forward to at the moment is Destiny. Unfortunately won't be out until Sept (apparently). There is supposed to be a beta soon though?

My roommate had one and just plays Call of Duty on it. Looks like a high end PC game released sometime in the last few years (runs smoother than my PC would run it, to be fair). I'd like to see a game that's not just an upwards port.

The controller is sweet though. I wouldn't mind picking one up for a PC gamepad, especially if the touchpad could be used as a mouse.

Ground Zeroes? My housemate owns one. I've only seen him play Battlefield 4 and Blu-Rays on it.