Minecraft

For the rest of the gaming world.
under water houses!~! i did two but it was lame im going back to cutting out the temple

Did you use glass? It's cool if you use glass

Korin Tower basically complete

where iS THIS tower you speak of?

Arrrgh, all this talk of people playing Minecraft is making me want to play. But it was said that only a few people can join the server?

Right now the whitelist is kinda limited. The server is still being tested out by link470. Once he gives the go-ahead, we can add more people to the whitelist.

Isn't the whitelist just a text file? I'm interested in what the limitations are.

Err, I meant the server is still being tested out. Not the whitelist.

Oh. Isn't there a setting for maximum number of connections?

its on my computer at links office and i want 24 hour access so no to connection limits :P its just a matter of the beta lag really if theres 4 of us on its too laggy to deal with so its really for the best till the server gets moved and beta is a better online situation

yeah what's the deal? you guys say to keep the list limited "for now." what does that mean?

Beck183 wrote:its on my computer at links office and i want 24 hour access so no to connection limits :P its just a matter of the beta lag really if theres 4 of us on its too laggy to deal with so its really for the best till the server gets moved and beta is a better online situation
SEE POST ABOVE

I'll give up my whitelist spot if someone else wants it.

big note for devo

i followed you outline with some minor mods if you want to keep em or not its up to you i build a staircase its mathmaticly three proportionate levels high but their huge levels... and weve got an issue with the pit/ trainstation / current warehouse level... when you enter the temple it goes up 4 blocks and when you get inside it goes up another three... putting the warehouse right under the roof and the actual req floor 10 blocks down... suggested solution is to either add another floor or raise the bottom floor up to meet the floor of the current warehouse after it is lowered 4 blocks ... or put a staircase that runs the length of the warehouse level down to the actual designed floor level of the bottom floor.... the reason the current location doesnt work for the ground floor level is the pit/ trainstation its 5 blocks higher then the current ground level and only one block lower then the current warehouse level so.... we can re floor the large ground floor room to that of the current doorway or have a length of three high staircase along the far wall.. in order to make it A: not be too small a room to only be three bricks high B not interfere with the train station / pit and C: not screwup 45 minutes of math i did to get all the levels to work with the golden ratio....

Ray wrote:yeah what's the deal? you guys say to keep the list limited "for now." what does that mean?
Good question.

The current Minecraft server is not a true "server" architecture computer, and this server instance was never designed to be available publicly. It's more of a personal server for a small group of friends.

Since Minecraft is in heavy beta, and the server software being in beta even moreso, the final, official server requirements are nowhere near polished and are very unknown at the moment, not to mention unpredictable. From what I've observed while monitoring the hardware, the server software is very processor intensive and memory leaks are common. Clients running Mac OS seem to connect with no problem, while Windows clients seem to lag considerably, but not always. Distance from the server and ping times to the actual address don't seem to matter.

I could purchase another server and add it to my main server array which hosts all my other services, but that would almost certainly require me to charge a fee, or at least ask for donations to help cover server costs for Minecraft access given how much power the application seems to want. It's just not worth it at the moment, and until the application is closer to a final build number and supported properly, it's not something I can see launching for more than a few people. The application is very different than a website, and very resource intensive. On a well built single web server [not in a cluster], depending on hardware and bandwidth, you can have ~500 people [give or take 10,000] actively accessing a dynamic database driven website concurrently, and visiting a new page every few seconds. With Minecraft, that same server might host 20 people at full capacity.

Once Minecraft becomes more feature filled, optimization will hopefully be looked at by the development team over at Mojang. But in my personal opinion, with the amount of people who have already purchased this game during alpha and beta stages, and at the rate at which the game is increasing in popularity, optimization is something they should have a team of people working on now.