Gaming Goals for 2019

For the rest of the gaming world.
Listen, I know. I know what you've all been thinking. You woke up on my birthday, January 2nd, and were so incredibly excited not only at the fact that it was your favorite sysadmin's birthday, but because it would be the day that the Gaming hashtag goalsss<3 thread for 2019 would be coming out. I'm here to tell you, FEAR NOT! It's been on my mind, just been stupid busy (no really? me?). I have a fairly good idea of what I want to finish this year. It's funny, I actually will bring up with friends sometimes that I'm thinking of buying a new game, and I have this history of not finishing the games I own because of how many I have and how busy I am, but since I started this in 2015, I've actually completed a huge number of those and can now justify those purchases. So when friends say "why are you even getting that, you have games on the Gamecube and N64 you still haven't finished...", I point them to these threads.

YOU ALL READY?! LET'S GOOOOOOO(#OALS)OOO!!!

Games I'd like to finish by the end of 2019:

PC
Emily Is Away [Completed January 2019]
Emily Is Away Too [Completed January 2019]
Finding Paradise [Completed March 2019]
A Bird Story [Completed March 2019]
The Mirror Lied [Completed March 2019]
Undertale [Completed March 2019]
•The Witness
•The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Xbox One
•Assassin's Creed Odyssey

My 2018 ended up being pretty busy for non-gaming activities, and I ended up trimming down my collection. I'm starting to let go of the idea of a backlog and accept the idea that some games are not for me. The act of buying a game and not enjoying it was a learning experience. My time is not owed toward some game that I'm not ultimately enjoying.

Going into 2019 I expect to not game as much as I normally would, but there are still some games I'd like to get done over the year because they look really exciting! I don't plan on purchasing any games (or at the very least use credit to buy them) this year and focus on playing what I've already got.

Nintendo Switch
• Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild added 12/17/2017

PS4
• Danganronpa V3 added 12/25/2017

PC
• Blackwell Convergence added 12/27/2018
• Finding Paradise added 05/07/2018
• Ori and the Blind Forest added 06/21/2018
• Pyre added 12/25/2017
• Toonstruck added 12/27/2018

my goals:

- find a good couch party game
- play an online game like a hardcore gamer does
- play lots of smash bros

Ray wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 8:03 pm
Do you ever play the Jackbox games? We play those sometimes and they can be pretty fun when you have a group of people in person!

link470 wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 12:02 am
Ray wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 8:03 pm
Do you ever play the Jackbox games? We play those sometimes and they can be pretty fun when you have a group of people in person!
I did, once, with a group of people I didn't know/barely knew, but someone had it set up in their hotel room at a convention and I got dumped in the room with them by a mutual friend. It would have been less terrifying/more fun if I'd actually been friends with the people myself, but it was still rather enjoyable even in those bizarre social circumstances.

So, I just finished Finding Paradise. My goodness these games. Just like To The Moon, I highly recommend Finding Paradise.

If you liked To The Moon, this is more of the same. You're essentially just playing through a story and it leads you to what you need to do next fairly easily, but you also have to click around and solve some fairly simple puzzles to progress. But of course with a unique story.

The story, like To The Moon, is flat out beautiful and something I think way more people should experience. The premise is the exact same as To The Moon in that you're again working as the same two doctors and your job is to fulfill a dying persons last wish. But for a game as simple as this in its artwork and game play (seriously, you can play almost the entire thing with just a mouse, and only rarely need to even touch your keyboard, unless you're playing with arrow keys), it's really, really well done.

One thing to note; this isn't a spoiler, but I will say that if you've played To The Moon, and are thinking of playing Finding Paradise next, I'd highly recommend playing A Bird Story, which was released between the 2 games. While it's not required to play either To The Moon or A Bird Story to enjoy Finding Paradise, let's just say that I'm really glad I played A Bird Story before playing Finding Paradise...there is a connection, and I'll leave it at that. It goes on sale during Steam sales (I bought it for $1.50 CAD during the Summer sale last year, which in US funds, I think they actually pay you to play it...). Also, if you haven't played the 2 Minisodes for To The Moon (I believe they show up as DLC's in Steam for To The Moon), they're totally free, each are around 30 minutes, and they also provide some very interesting and key information before going into Finding Paradise.