Your 5-10-15-20 in games

For the rest of the gaming world.
Pitchfork does a regular series called "5-10-15-20" where they interview music artists about their favorite music when they were 5, 10, etc. Why don't we do that but for our games? Let's reminisce about some important games for us that happened that year. I'll probably be focusing on new releases since I can't remember exactly what I was playing that year, but feel free to mention whatever if you seem to remember playing it that year. I'll start!

5 (1993-4) - I can't remember if I was playing many games this early in childhood, but around this time my favorite would have to be Super Mario World. It defined my love for platformers and Nintendo games - really just games in general. Back then I hadn't matured yet into the pro gamer that I would definitely become (okay just a small exaggeration) - I remember one of my aunts helping me finish the game and unlocking the special mode for the game (when the map turns desert-y and the enemies wear Mario masks and other oddities). Now that I think of it, anything beyond World 1 my little mind could barely comprehend, so every small step toward the next world was huge for me.

10 (1998-9) - By now the SNES had come and gone and the new hotness was the N64. I remember my Mom kept telling me "sorry son I couldn't find an N64..." and me being all bummed out... then what should I find on Christmas morning...! I was probably like the N64 kid for sure. Super Mario 64 was definitely a huge title - the whole concept of 3D was completely new to me and helped cement the future for games. Completely blew my 10 year-old mind that I could move any way I wanted. I remember particularly loving "Cool, Cool Mountain" for the penguins and the slide race. I was particularly bad at the race from what I remember, but it was fun! Spent many days over at my friends house trying to beat as many levels as we could, working together on it. My skills had yet to blossom at this point. Despite coming out at launch, I know I was playing this well into the lifespan of the N64 - probably repeatedly right until I sold my original N64 to move up to a GCN.

Another huge game would have to be Ocarina of Time. I remember that Christmas particularly because I was anticipating it - it was the only notable thing that I can remember on my Christmas list that year. I did my usual visit with the family, first my Mom's side - grandma, grandpa, aunts and uncles. After hours of niceties and such, and demolishing the gift wrapping with speed - no game yet. I was bummed out at first - but there was still hope! Now, I'd go visit my (biological) Dad's side and do it again. Again, gift after gift! No game! Then, as I looked at the last one... it was suspiciously game box shaped. I tore into it with incredible fury... and there it was, in a beautiful golden box. I was thrilled! But I still had to visit for another hour or two... so I put on my best face and tried to be a good boy. By now I had already torn off the plastic and cracked the box open - poring over and taking in that beautiful manual, waiting for the adventures ahead. With the goodbyes done with I was picked up by my Mom and on my way home - ready to plunk that game into my N64 and dig in! I remember I got to the Deku Tree and then... oh no! Christmas dinner time at the grandparents! I remember my Mom peeking into my room and watching me glued to the TV screen - and her saying to grandma "we'll be another hour... see you soon." My Mom is the best.

Ocarina of Time was also the first game that my Dad and I really played together. I still had trouble beating dungeons by myself, so he'd help out and take out the tougher baddies or figure out the puzzles when I couldn't. I remember when I got home from school one day my Dad was telling me what happened after you get the Master Sword (Link grows up) - I was going nuts! I get to be a badass young adult now?! Alright!! We worked on the game together all the way to the very end. Probably one of, if not the best, gaming-related memory I've got.

Another game that immediately comes to mind around that year was Clayfighter 63 1/3. I asked for it for Christmas but I knew it had a T (Teen) rating at the time... I wasn't old enough to play it and I just knew my Mom wouldn't let me... Dad to the rescue! He snuck it in with my other Christmas gifts that year. If you've ever seen A Christmas Story where Ralphie gets his Red Rider BB Gun from his Dad, it was almost exactly like that. My Mom was worried I'd be playing too violent of a video game for my age, but dear old Dad just let me have it. Thanks Dad!

Man that game was a blast at the time. It was stupid funny to me. I couldn't figure out the combos, but I loved the characters and setting. I was huge into Taffy at the time. He had a stupid high-pitched voice and I loved how annoying it was. The only combo I knew how to pull off was where he'd whip out is gun and shoot the shit out of the other guy. My childhood favorite at the time was also in it - Earthworm Jim! Everything was so over-the-top and dumb, and all of the clay-related puns - and I loved every minute of it - despite the fact I could barely play it and just mashed buttons 90% of the time.

15 (2003-4) - I recall the early naughties (hehehe) were a very big time for me when it came to PC gaming. My parents had just invested in a new computer that could play brand new PC games - very exciting time!

Immediately the game that comes to mind here is Half-Life 2. The original Half-Life cemented my love with the FPS genre as a whole. A few years earlier, I remember my Dad coming home from work one night with a pack of CDs from a friend of his - he had burned my Dad a bunch of copies of games he had - Quake, Medal of Honor, and some weird game called Half-Life. I started playing Half-Life one day completely bored, and... well the rest is history there. Fast forward a few years and rumors of 2's development were surfacing, the release was coming soon... then it kept getting delayed. If anyone has yet to read up on Half-Life 2's development, I highly recommend it - very interesting story.

I remember poring over every early teaser that Valve put out. Back when downloading and viewing a video was a real ordeal - they would record their demos with Bink! video. This is one of the earliest ones I can remember:

This was probably one of my earliest exposure to the game. I was completely blown away! You have to remember this was back in 2003 - games just didn't look this good. I remember being particularly impressed with the ragdoll physics - again for 2003 this was crazy. The way the zombie crumbles realistically into the water... Wow!! The way your perspective shifts and bobs as you get hit... the water!! It was all so incredible - and this was only a taste. Then, Valve would drop this bombshell of a teaser:

Holy crap. The demo starts right off with something huge: this game has physics and you can play with it. WHAT!! Yes, you get a gun that and pick up and throw things at the enemies - and those objects behave realistically (for 2003) and interact with the environment! WHAT!!! This was huge for the time and my jaw just hit the floor time and time again every time I watched this demo. When the Combine solider is slamming on the door and the objects on the table wiggle... when another enemy soldier fires through the window and the blinds fly backward in sequence... when the player picks up a radiator as a shield then chucks it at the solider on the stairs - and then pop cans come flying out of the vending machine!! Today we'd probably take these things for granted, but back then this was crazy - completely unparalleled. It offered a level of immersion I'd never seen in gaming before.

I could go on and on about the demos Valve released - they did put out a ton of them. For the sake of this not being too long, I'll fast-forward to the released game...

I remember getting the game release day and rushing home to play it - I got the G-Man box variation - and having to install this weird program called Steam. Back then, Steam was pretty much universally reviled (who remembers that awesome putrid green color scheme?), but Valve soldiered on (look at where it is now). At the time it probably caused more harm than good, but there was Half-Life 2 to play. I remember getting chills as G-Man greets you once again - not only because I was finally playing Half-Life 2, but it was genuinely spooky - the voice actor for G-Man is incredibly talented at sounding "almost" human - alien, but not distinctly so. It's hard to put into words, but when you hear it you'll know what I mean. Eventually G-Man teleports you onto a train... and off you go. I was completely immersed right from the first second.

Funnily enough, I didn't actually complete the game for quite a few years. Anyone who has played the game is likely familiar with Ravenholm - the part of the game that turns kind of old-school Resident Evil on you. It's dark and moody, and there are spooky things about. You'll eventually run into these hideous headcrabs called the Poison Headcrabs. They look like headcrabs but with thinner, spindly legs and an all-black appearance. They've got a weird pattern on their back. Yep, they look like spiders all the way - and I couldn't take it. I remember reading somewhere that Valve deliberately modeled them after a certain species of spider... the bastards! Don't even get me started on the Poison Headcrab Zombies... *shudder* I saved right after my first encounter and... well, didn't go back for a long time. My Dad ended up playing through the game and I'd watch him as he played. Since he was at the helm, I didn't have to worry about the stupid poison headcrabs. I did get to experience the game, although it was not directly I guess you could say.

Years later I eventually I memorized 90% or so of the locations of where the poison headcrabs would appear (thank you GameFAQs), and I braved them. It was tough. They still give me the willies. But it was worth it. The game was everything I wanted and Valve delivered in spades. I remember a few sections where you'd get a small squad of rebel soliders and you got to command them. I was in awe of how well the AI worked and how they would move together, watch each other's backs... for the time this was just so cool!

Another cool part of Half-Life 2 wasn't the game itself, but rather the mods that came as a result. Half-Life 1 was known for its modding scene - and 2 was no slouch in this department. My love of the game was extended into mods like Garry's Mod - where you're given a few tools and a test map, and the whole game is available at your disposal to play with. I built myself a helicopter, made dioramas with NPCs... even played minigames within the mods (game within a game within a game... whoa). Then there's CS Source of course. I played a fair bit of CS 1.6 before Half-Life 2 came out, and I got a good chunk of fun out of CS:S as well. By and large I got a ton of mileage out of one game - Half-Life 2. The game engine that Half-Life 2 ran on - Source - would pave the way for a whole series of new games from Valve in the future. It was a real monumental game for me - and the industry!

I'd say the other really important game for me around this time would the Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. This was the expansion to Warcraft 3, a game I also loved to bits. At the time Blizzard were at the top of their game when it came to stories, and TFT was no slouch there. I was still pretty bad at RTS games - despite my interest in them - so I remember using cheats a lot, but I beat the campaign one way or another.

The real lasting power of this game wasn't the single player - but the multiplayer. Seeing as how I was real bad at the traditional game, I had no recourse but to look to the (arguably) the best part of the game - the custom maps. The game shipped with a custom map editor that (I believe) Blizzard themselves used to make the campaign itself. This lead to some very interesting games that you wouldn't otherwise find in the campaign. I remember playing a map called "Angel Arena" a lot - probably the precursor to something you guys may have heard of - Dota. You could pick a hero and then get put into a big arena-style map. You hunt around for minions to kill for EXP and gold, which you in turn use to beef up your hero. Every few minutes, a duel takes place - with either team's strongest hero facing off. It usually ended up in a boring agility-stacked duel that had either hero attacking like 3 times a second while they have 45,000 health, but damnit it was still fun.

I remember another map called "Real Life" or something - it didn't have a victory condition that I can remember, it was true to its namesake. A handful of players were villagers, so they would get jobs and live a real life (in the world of Warcraft anyway) - meanwhile one player becomes the Police, another becomes the Mafia, and another is a Drug Lord. Obviously the Police and Drug Lord are at odds with each other, while the Mafia remains neutral until they decide otherwise. The three of these players more or less dictated how the game was going to play out. A common strategy for the Mafia was to act as protection against another player or a particularly dictatorial Police, provided you coughed up the dough. Other Mafia would instead require funds from you every so often - otherwise you get snuffed. The Drug Lord provided all the goodies to other players, things that would increase your stats or damage. The Police's end goal is to take out the Drug Lord and Mafia, but can't do it alone - they need the help of the players. It was usually an interesting power struggle. I don't know why I was so into this map, but I remember playing it a lot.

Another common custom map was Dota - or Defense of the Ancients. Jeez, if anyone played that... you know. Something about it just completely enthralled me. I remember installing 3rd-party tools to manage a ban-list since leavers were such a huge problem in these games. The community was (and still is) notoriously toxic. Still, the game was incredibly deep and featured a lot of customization - almost all of the heroes abilities were reprogrammed - so you almost never saw the vanilla hero abilities from the campaign. I was impressed from a technical level alone - and that fueled my desire to make a map of my own...

I remember losing a lot of hours in the map editor. I think this was the genesis of my career right there - this and the StarCraft 1 map editor. Diving in headfirst into triggers - which is the map editor's 'programming language'. It's pretty simplistic, unless you got into its scripting language JASS... then things get really crazy (Dota was built using a ton of JASS). At one point I had created a map based off a popular archetype at the time called "Don't Touch The Grass" - which I think is pretty self-explanatory... my map took place in a cave with traps everywhere along the main path. I hid levers and switches to disable these traps, but I think too well... a lot of players would die on the first trap, get frustrated, and leave. Still, it was my creation and a taste into what something like programming can accomplish. I was also working on making a 3rd-person action game within the map editor. It didn't work very well, but it was cool to try and make something like that within an RTS game. I wish I had saved some of these maps, but sadly they've been lost to time... however, my thirst for programming was created and wouldn't be stopped here!

20 (2008-9) - By this time I was into gaming full swing, trying to get in as many games as I could on as many platforms as possible. I think I had a PC, a Wii, DS, and 360 - which from what I remember was my first non-Nintendo console - ever. I just got my first "real" job and had a steady flow of money. Living virtually rent-free in my parents house, my paycheques usually went entirely toward gaming or some other hobby.

I remember playing a lot of Super Smash Bros. Brawl around this time - it just came out and was the next sequel to our beloved Smash Bros. series. At the time, I was loving it - but as the years went on, I stopped playing it and ended up just firing up Melee instead. I'll always have a soft-spot for it every now and then for the inclusion of Snake, but by-and-large, the game just wasn't the same caliber as Melee. Some hours lost to trying to get lobbies and such set up with NC peeps, only for it to finally work and then it turns into a input-lag laden mess. Oh well, at least the offline play was more or less fine... in that it worked!

Speaking of online play - one service had things actually figured out - Xbox Live. It was crazy at the time to pay for it, but that I did. I remember playing a lot of Burnout Paradise offline, but I would occasionally dip online with Puxel and AC Dasher - and what a blast. Burnout Paradise was such a solid game by itself, but with the inclusion of online it was real fun! It was enough to just give us a map to all hang out in and fart around, but there was all of the offline content available in an online form too. One of my favorite (dumb) features was that the game would take your picture from your webcam (if you had one) every time you got smashed. Puxel had one too, and would always flip me off (what a guy). I'd ham it up and give stupid reaction faces. I also remember playing with AC once and we bumped into some rando joining our lobby who decided to uh... well, let's just say there was a lot of heavy breathing and we were supremely weirded out.

Although who could forget the behemoth Halo 3. So many hours dedicated to this game - mostly playing with Ray. TD forever! At point point we both made matching accounts - I was "teal man" and Ray was "malachite man" and we'd head off to Team Doubles to terrify our opponents with matching names. "oh my god these guys have similar names they must be so good!" The trash talk was something else... nah it was something stupid. Still, lots of fun here. We would regularly have sticky grenade competitions - whoever got the most sticks wins. It was of course at the detriment of our team, we didn't care... sticks were all that mattered. I remember Ray would usually win, although the experience was helpful when I'd go over to my friend's LAN party and just annoy the hell out of them with my sticky prowess (wait that kind of sounds wrong). It was a tradition that would carry over into Halo: Reach. We'd regularly compare our stats to see who was leading in sticky kills.

"I'm being attacked from every imaginable angle!"

"NO MOM I SAID CHOCOLATE MILK!!"

"hey PJ"

"Steakinator? Steak as in pork? As in how I porked your Mom last night?"

I'm willing to bet Xbox Live still hasn't changed.

Well, that was fun! It's great to remember some of the best gaming memories I've had. As I get older it gets harder to remember some of these - so it's cool to write it all down as a time capsule of sorts. Hope you guys will do the same!

Nice concept.

5 (1994)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2. For whatever reason, most the kids on my street were Genesis kids and we all had the Sonic games. Sure, "Sonic 1" as we called it, was fine but Sonic 2 was TWO PLAYERS!!! I was my next door neighbor and best friend Chris's Tails and my brother was my Tails. On a good day we'd make it to the "purple stuff" level (Oil Ocean Zone). Chris and I got past it once.

Runner up: Super Mario World. My aunt bought a SNES and left it with my grandparents and I'd play it every time I went over, almost always choosing Super Mario World.

Music: We Built This City - Starship

Some in-betweens: Road Rash, Toejam & Earl, Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64.

10 (1999)
Pokemon Blue. I'd just moved to a new town and the N64 multiplayer era of my life had just come to an end. I remember borrowing a copy from my fried Ben and evolving his Wartortle into a Blastoise. Eventually I saved the money to buy my own and a Gameboy Pocket. I became friends with everyone who played Pokemon in my class.

Runner Up: Super Smash Bros.

Music: 2112 - Rush

Some in-betweens: Ocarina of Time (it was released, but I didn't play it until later in life), Majora's Mask, Pokemon Gold, Super Smash Bros. Melee.

15(2004)
Viewtiful Joe. This one's less definitive. I had bought a gamecube a few years prior and buying games wasn't as much as a rarity anymore. I was still a dedicated Pokemon trainer; putting hundreds of hours into Ruby and legitimately leveling Pokemon up to lv100 for the first (and only) time. I was also subscribed to Nintendo Power and on the NSider forums so games I had heard of were no longer just word of mouth and whatever my friends happened to have. I definitely had spent more time on other games during this time of my life, I actually never even managed to beat this game until my 20s, but it really seems to encapsulate that era of gaming for me.
Runner Up: Pokemon Ruby. I remember going through cheap, generic pharmacy AAs in my hot, sweaty bedroom with this game.

Music: Relient K - Two Lefts Don't Make a Right, but Thee Do.

Some in-betweens: Oblivion, Mario Kart DS, Half-Life 2, Crysis (didn't play much of it, but my PC could run it), Bioshock, Dead Space

20 (2009)
No More Heroes. A good soundtrack, over-the-top violence and a great stylistic direction can me love an ultimately repetitive game. I adore this game and can't even fully explain why. I was at the height of my gaming "career" in these years. Working a 4pm-12am job, playing videogames all night and sleeping as late as I wanted. I remember replaying this game in one night before its sequel came out then playing that game in one night.

Music: Somewhere in the Between - Streetlight Manifesto

Monkey wrote:20 (2009)
No More Heroes. A good soundtrack, over-the-top violence and a great stylistic direction can me love an ultimately repetitive game. I adore this game and can't even fully explain why. I was at the height of my gaming "career" in these years. Working a 4pm-12am job, playing videogames all night and sleeping as late as I wanted. I remember replaying this game in one night before its sequel came out then playing that game in one night.
I thought about adding this one to my list. Loved No More Heroes. It's so over the top and dumb, but it plays into it so well and becomes better for it. It's tasteless but feels so good. Travis Touchdown is a lovable idiot. All of the assassins were so different and diverse, they all had awesome backstories.

I never played the sequel, think its worth it (maybe a Switch port)? Also I'm super pumped up for the next No More Heroes on Switch!

I've been waiting on a remake. The soundtrack is great, the boss fights (that I remember) are great and there are more katanas and a couple more different playable characters to mix things up. They got rid of the overworld and replaced the jobs with little 8-bit style games, which helps with the pacing.

It's been years, but I remember they're definitely trying to tell something through the story beyond Travis ranking back up to number 1. Something beyond the surface that's not too subtle and not quite overt.

Alright, here goes.

01-02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09

[1993] - At 5, there's no doubt in my mind that the number 1 game at that time for me was Super Mario World for the SNES. There were other great games for the SNES at the time, like Super Mario All Stars that allowed me to play the previous games that I had skipped on the NES from being too young. But I spent hours playing Super Mario World. That game took me forever to finish back then, or at least, what seemed like forever compared to nowadays.

Speaking of Mario All Stars, I remember also playing Mario Bros. 3, and getting stuck on the 8th World. In fact, to this day, I have never beaten Mario Bros., 2, 3, or Lost Levels. I think I enjoyed Mario Bros. 3 the most, and I remember trying for hours to finish the 8th World and getting to the area where on the map, you can only see Mario in the spotlight, and none of the rest of the map. But I never got very far.

06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14

[1998] - 10 is easy as well. These were super fun times in gaming, and the Nintendo 64 games that were coming out around this time were amazing. Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Donkey Kong 64, F-Zero X, Mario Party, Star Fox 64, Banjo Kazooie, Cruisin' USA, Goldeneye...what blows my mind is I can't remember a time in my life where so many good games for one system came out within such a close time frame to each other. I had game after game coming into my collection and they were all fantastic. In fact, many of the games made during 1997-2001 are still some of my all time favorites to this day.

The Nintendo 64 is truly an awesome system not only because of the introduction of 3D graphics, but because so many first party and third party titles were introduced around that time that were ALL GREAT. It's very hit and miss these days, at least for what I like, and my mom even mentioned to me this past Christmas "you know what's interesting, is that you haven't asked for many video games lately like you usually do for Christmas", and I don't think that's because I'm now an adult, it's just that I can't remember a time in my life where I've wanted so many good games. During the N64 days, I remember asking for 10 or so games at a time, and even a couple years later, I'd do the same thing with Gamecube. But lately, there's only a select few video games I'm interested in, and a lot of those are on the PC. As I think to myself while typing this, maybe some of that is due to certain franchises I love not releasing as many titles in that franchise, or certain franchises not releasing any titles at all.

Besides Nintendo games, I also started playing Roller Coaster Tycoon around this time. I remember spending hours in this game and being blown away when I finally realized how to work the custom roller coaster building tool (took me awhile to figure out that you needed a chain to pull the roller coaster up a hill if it didn't have any existing momentum).

I never got into Sim City 2000, but I did play Sim City 3000 Unlimited and had a blast playing that. Another great game for the PC was Midtown Madness, which I played for quite awhile as well.

11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19

[2003] - I found out much later that some people didn't like this game, and I could never understand why; Star Fox Adventures for the Gamecube. Man this game is good, and I really wish Nintendo would release another Star Fox Adventures game.

The GameCube was my main go-to system at this point. I really didn't get into playing PC games until a bit later in life (with the exception of the games I was already playing). My most memorable 2003 game I think was probably Zelda: Wind Waker. I remember having a ton of fun with this game and plowing through the whole game and then getting stuck at the end boss and not realizing I had to shoot the tail of the boss with a light arrow, which now that I think back, should have been incredibly obvious and I have no idea why it took me so long to try that.

F-Zero GX also came out for the Gamecube around this time and was a total blast to play, and I remember it looked great at the time too and felt great to play, but wow was that game difficult in the Grand Prix.

Apart from the GameCube, the Nintendo DS also got my attention, and I remember particularly enjoying Mario Kart DS. It wasn't until a few years later that I'd take it to school with me and play with AC and Drevin, and it was that same year that we'd start Nintendo Connection (I wasn't even a member yet, I remember Devo would ask me almost daily to sign up and join when it was on the old InvisionPowerboard free tier system. Needless to say, I'm glad I finally signed up.)

16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24

[2008] - The thing I remember the most about 2008 was that I was incredibly busy. I had so much going on and was working insane overtime at work, and I didn't really do very much in the way of gaming at all. I remember playing Xbox 360 games like Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed. Halo was fun with friends, like when I'd play with Devo and Ray.
Drevin wrote:"Steakinator? Steak as in pork? As in how I porked your Mom last night?"
Ahh...good times with 12 year olds in Halo matchmaking.

Assassin's Creed was another story though. Like Zelda games, I've always enjoyed open world type games where you can explore, and Assassin's Creed was definitely an awesome entrance for the series. The first one still might be my favorite of all of them, although AC 2, Brotherhood, and Black Flag also were great games later on.

Funny story, I also remember trying the game Fallout 3, which I borrowed from Match. You'd think I'd enjoy a single player adventure style game like this, but I ended up returning it to him soon after I borrowed it because I wasn't doing well in the game at all and just couldn't get into it and found it extremely difficult very early on. I realized why this was when I told Match the difficulties I was experiencing and he said "hm, were you using VATS?", and I replied with "what's VATS?". I then went over to his house and watched him play for awhile, and had a ".......oh" moment, as I watched how easily he'd destroy enemies using the VATS targeting system, and realized that was how the game was supposed to be played (previously, I had just treated it as a first person shooter). I may try this game again sometime, but I'm in no rush.

In 2008, one other game was generating a lot of hype for me that hadn't come out yet, but was announced the year prior, and I was getting really excited; StarCraft 2. Unlike Drevin, I hadn't grown up with the earlier Blizzard titles. My first experience was with Beck183, when he and I were walking through a mall a couple years earlier when we were in grade 12, and we walked into an EB Games store and he saw the StarCraft Battlechest there and pointed it out, and I said "what's StarCraft?", and he gave me a blank stare in disbelief, took a copy and gave it to me, and said "you're buying this, and we're going to your house right now to play", and being a guy that doesn't normally spend money, he was surprised when I said "k" and checked out. That was my introduction to Blizzard games, and I'm extremely grateful that he asked me to get StarCraft that day.

21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29

[2013] - By 25, I'd like to say I was much more balanced in life and had started getting more time to play video games again. The Nintendo Wii U was out, and I had one, but I wasn't really playing it too much. I think a lot of the better games for the Wii U came out long after it's initial release. A year earlier though, I had finally finished Twilight Princess, which I had originally got for the Wii back in 2006 but never finished it. I also got Skyward Sword and finished that, and absolutely loved it. It didn't beat Ocarina of Time for me, but it was definitely high up there with quality Zelda games.

I also played Assassin's Creed Black Flag for the Xbox 360 and had a blast with that game and remember liking it much more than Assassin's Creed 3. I always 100% Synchronize those games and get 100% of the single player achievements (I say single player because while in most Assassin's Creed games I've obtained all achievements, there were some of the middle games like Brotherhood, Revelations, and Black Flag where there was the multiplayer achievements as well, and I didn't play multiplayer in Assassin's Creed apart from a few minutes of it until saying "nah this isn't for me").

This year was also the year that I finally built a new computer for myself (my previous one being built in 2004). So naturally, it was time to get some PC games installed and playing PC games again. I went through the StarCraft 2 Wings of Liberty campaign and the Heart of the Swarm campaign, and I also got introduced to the WarCraft games from Blizzard with the WarCraft 3 Battlechest, courtesy of an awesome gift from Drevin. This was such a great experience and I thoroughly enjoyed playing both the WarCraft 3 Reign of Chaos campaign, as well as the Frozen Throne campaign.

--------------------------
Monkey wrote:Music: Relient K - Two Lefts Don't Make a Right, but Thee Do.
Great choice. That has some solid tracks on it but I didn't listen to that one nearly as much as Relient K's MMHMM; I listened to that album non stop for quite some time, as well as Collide by Skillet.

link470 wrote:
Monkey wrote: Music: Relient K - Two Lefts Don't Make a Right, but Th[r]ee Do.
Great choice. That has some solid tracks on it but I didn't listen to that one nearly as much as Relient K's MMHMM; I listened to that album non stop for quite some time, as well as Collide by Skillet.
Yeah, looking back I'd say Mmhmm is the best album (I listened to 5 Score once and nothing more recent), in fact Mmhmm and Streetlight's In the Between (my "20" album) are the only two albums I'd ever hyped up to myself that still met/exceeded that hype.

Three Lefts (and also The Anatomy of Tounge in Cheek) came out before my first job, so the $13 investment mandated probably hundreds of listens. I was also 15/16 so I was the perfect age for songs like Gibberish and May the Horse Be With You.

Also your post reminded me that Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 was huge among my friends and me and Fallout 3 was pretty big for me too.