Gaming Goals for 2017

For the rest of the gaming world.
A bit late, but I'd like to finish Omega Ruby, beat Sun or Moon and make at least one competive battling team. I kinda miss the planning and the egg hatching/EV grinding, its meditative.

I may or may not edit this post and add some more stuff throughout the year.

Edit: e4 in Ruby beaten. Getting exp. all towards the beginning of the game makes it easy since you don't end up with underleveled mons. Gyrados is OP against the CPU.

Just gotta chuck the master ball at Rayquaza now.

Edit: I've got Majora's Mask for 3DS and I'm going to beat it. Despite it being very possibly my favorite Zelda game, I've yet to beat it due to frustrating freezes on N64(looking back I probably should've cleaned the contacts) and GameCube.

Eggdit2: Also playing Castlevania: Circle of the Moon for GBA. It's another game I've had for more than half my life that I haven't beaten, yet I'm still really fond of. I'll have that and MM beaten by the end of the year.
Last edited by Monkey on July 29th, 2017, 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Monkey wrote:
March 16th, 2017, 7:28 pm
When I played Sapphire last year, I ended up using the Masterball on Latias just because once I found him (one of those moving Pokemon), I didn't want him to just vanish again. I got Rayquaza with, I believe, a Timer Ball after extending the battle as long as I could to the point where the Rayquaza was using Struggle and I had to catch it quick before it knocked itself out.

link470 wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 9:15 am
Monkey wrote:
March 16th, 2017, 7:28 pm
When I played Sapphire last year, I ended up using the Masterball on Latias just because once I found him (one of those moving Pokemon), I didn't want him to just vanish again. I got Rayquaza with, I believe, a Timer Ball after extending the battle as long as I could to the point where the Rayquaza was using Struggle and I had to catch it quick before it knocked itself out.
I used to be the type to save masterballs and just trade them up to the next game where they'd just sit in my bag unused. It felt kind of good just throwing it. I also caught a shiny Ariados in sky tower, which was nice.

I started Moon after I beat Ruby. I got sick of the brutal tutorial that I may or may not be finished with and haven't gotten myself back into it.

[rant]Kids aren't any dumber than we were in 1998, why do they feel like players need to be guided every step of the way for almost two hours? Part of the appeal of Pokemon is that Pokemon empower kids and they're free to explore the world because they can fend for themselves. Now there's a long-ass tutorial where you're being bossed around by adults.[/rant]

I do wish that Moon was a little less tutorial-y.

Also, if I keep up my current rate of maybe 15 mins a few times per week, I'll get through it by the end of the year. I'm about to take on the Ghost-type trial!

Ya I feel like Pokemon Red was the perfect balance. It walked you through very little at the beginning; just what you needed to get started. Heck, Professor Oak's intro screen for "welcome to the world of Pokemon, we live in a world with creatures known as pokemon blablabla" is about all the intro you needed for that game to know what was up. I played the game before seeing a single episode of the shows or knowing what it was about and I remember getting into it really quick, and I was 10.

Yeah, that and NPCs and signs giving you advice (and in the single most extreme case, showing you how to catch Pokemon) was fine.

Tutorials generally seem like bad design more and more to me. You should try to teach the player without him even realizing it. Think of the first level of Super Mario Brothers. There's a goomba, ? Boxes, stuff to jump over and then eventually a pit. We all learned that stuff through trial and error (or watching someone else play) and it was much more enjoyable than a tutorial. We also learned at our own pace rather than being dragged down to the designer's perceived beginner's pace.

The more complex systems of some games may warrant an optional tutorial, but there isn't any reason to dumb down a simple game that kids can already quickly grasp. [/rantpart2]

colesepic wrote:
February 24th, 2017, 11:08 am
pc:
•get to plat in League of Legends.
bad rats and bad rats the show.
•level 30 in Smite.
2ds:
Pokemon alpha sapphire and sun.
so I've given up on most of my previous list due to league becoming to boring and I would honestly rather put a bullet through my monitor than play so I am revising half wayish through the year
pc
hearthstone get to rank 16(could probs bump this up but don't want to burnout by grinding RNG constantly) every month
planet coaster career and make a park I like that is profitable after
2ds/3ds
•play animal crossing new leaf[/b] everyday for a year and half straight (starting once the hearthstone expansion launches and till jan 1st of 2019)(I dont have to go hard in the paint erryday) also for everday I miss I want to do something like chug something disgusting or something along those lines don't know what so you guys gotta give some ideas also don't know if you guys would be interested in a thread where I update daily to hold myself to the challenge so you guys will know when I skip
Pokemon alpha sapphire and sun.

colesepic wrote:
July 8th, 2017, 4:31 am
Nice!
colesepic wrote:
also don't know if you guys would be interested in a thread where I update daily to hold myself to the challenge so you guys will know when I skip
I would 100% be into that! A Cole Plays New Leaf blog would be awesome.

I didn't even know there was an expansion/DLC for it...I thought New Leaf was a few years old now. When's that come out?

link470 wrote:
July 8th, 2017, 11:36 am
colesepic wrote:
Nice!
colesepic wrote:
also don't know if you guys would be interested in a thread where I update daily to hold myself to the challenge so you guys will know when I skip

I didn't even know there was an expansion/DLC for it...I thought New Leaf was a few years old now. When's that come out?
I meant the new dlc for hearthstone Ima play new leaf once that comes out

link470 wrote:
July 8th, 2017, 11:36 am

You could do it like I did a few years ago with tumblr: http://thingsincordova.tumblr.com

And yup they did release some new DLC for the game a while back called Welcome amiibo: http://www.animal-crossing.com/newleaf/new-features/

A quick update on my progress... to be honest it hasn't been going too well. My interests have shifted pretty radically toward music this past year and I haven't been finding myself wanting to game much. I've been slowly working on Persona 5 most of the time. Other than that it's been random spurts of gaming on my phone or my Switch.

I'm not giving up completely, but I don't anticipate I'll get a 100% completion this year.

I did however finish the latest Layton game on iOS! Here's a mini-review:

- No Professor Layton/Luke which kinda sucks
- There are quite a few "gotcha puzzles" where the answer is a trick, I don't find these interesting puzzles and instead just a waste of time
- The production quality since the DS games has really risen, the anime cutscenes are pretty well done, albeit short
- Love the voice acting, game is still very charming. I like the new cast.
- Not overly long, felt just right

Drevin wrote:
September 15th, 2017, 10:28 pm
finish the latest Layton game
Drevin wrote:
- No Professor Layton
The eff.

Ya it's called "Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy", and I would consider it part of the Professor Layton franchise - but no Professor Layton.

Drevin wrote:
A quick update on my progress... to be honest it hasn't been going too well.
Tsk..Tsk.

How are your goals coming XC?